• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Lifting Strength vs Durability and Material (density, i think) vs AP

So, the question was brought up in a vs thread where character X had the Advantage in both AP and Dura, and character Y had more lifting strength and was "harder than steel":

1-Would lifting strength allow Y to break X's handcuffs, which restrain the entire body, not just the hands, and are more durable than X himself, who already has more dura than Y.
2-Would "being harder than steel" stop a High 7-A character from cutting another High 7A character with less durability?

Also, sorry, i put this in the wrong forum, it should be Questions and Answers, my bad.

Last edited:
1: That depends, if said characters can pull apart something with the force of Class T against hand cuffs that can only restrain class K character. Character A can pull said hand cuffs apart from the chains, or alternatively if they have the ability to expand with similar force they would be able to pop said chains due to applying several thousand tons against something that can only restrain someone who can only exert 100 pounds of force.

2: because both characters are High 7-A, now imagine character A has a Defense with a density harder than steel over their flesh that also scales to high 7-A as opposed to character B having no such luxury.

I never really subscribed to the idea that lifting strength breaks through any and all restraints. Although I'm not so opposed to the idea in this case, in certain other cases I think lifting strength shouldn't matter. That's for another thread though.

I'm more neutral here. Although I will say it's pretty stupid that an object which can restrain someone with the arm strength and durability to collapse mountains easily with a single punch would get trumped by anyone with above superhuman lifting strength.

Lifting Strength and AP are distinct and doesn't necessarily correlate to each other. GT Goku for example needed to turn Super Saiyan 4 to lift a building despite being 3-B in AP.

Pretty much what Gin said.

I still don’t get why we separate the two stats so much but I don’t care enough to complain.

So a 4B with lower LS can't restrain a 5B with higher LS even when his constructs are 4B? Like, for real?

While in real life it wouldn't make sense, it does make sense in fiction. There are many characters and instances in fiction where their lifting Strength is vastly different than what their AP might suggest.

As long as LS and AP are separate, this will exist.

You would need to remove LS as a whole to push this through.

So a 4B with lower LS can't restrain a 5B with higher LS even when his constructs are 4B? Like, for real?
That depends solely on the construct and how it restrains. If it's a barrier / force field then LS wouldn't mean much unless it's a Telekinetic / gravity type of restraint. If it's pshycial, let's say in the form of traditional handcuffs, chain binding I.E physical bindings then sufficient lifting strength could break out.

Let me give you an example, we have two characters both with 5-A AP and durability, the only difference is that character A has a physical restraint in the form of handcuffs but only has feats of restraining characters with class K lifting strength, while character B has class P lifting strength. There's nothing to suggest that characters A's restraints being able to withstand character B thrashing and pulling said restraint apart due to character B having vaslty superior lifting strength, he doesn't need to punch the material apart but with class P lifting strength pulling it apart shouldn't be an issue.

Back