• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Saikou_The_Lewd_King

The King of all Things Lewd
VS Battles
Retired
Okay let's do this.

Kirby's main profile has a bunch of information from the series' anime. This includes his age and his stomach being this infinite pocket dimension.

...Thing is, we have a Kirby profile for the anime with different stats, implying we treat those as separate. Yet Kirby still includes info from it.

So, 3 things we can do to solve this problem:

1. Simply remove the anime info from game Kirby's profile.

2. Treat the anime as secondary canon to the games, thus deleting the anime Kirby profile and fusing it to game Kirby.

3. Make the game profile a composite for all versions of Kirby, meaning game alone would have a different profile and the composite profile would include stuff from other canons.

Out of these I vastly prefer the first option. Option 3 is dumb, Kirby doesn't fit at all the prerequisites for composite. And Option 2 ignores the fact that the anime is an adaption of the games. It cannot take place in the same universe and thus can't really be canon.

So yeah, what I'm proposing is just to yeet the anime stuff off the profile.

Kirby's profile also includes stuff like Yarn Kirby who has a completely different set of abilities, me and Cal meant to split it into a new profile a while ago but never got aroun to it

3 doesn't work at all, even though I put it there.

Kirby has a singular solid canon that has been going on since the start: the game canon. We only do composite profiles for characters who lack that (e.g. Link may have an "original" version, 90% of his appearances aren't from that version and he otherwise lacks a central version, or Godzilla having many canons, with again the original movie version being too short to account for being the "main" Godzilla).

A composite Kirby profile would be chaotic due to all untranslated versions of the character there are, there would be more stuff we don't know about him than stuff we know.

The anime is a secondary canon but I don't see how they can't have 2 profiles. The anime isn't canon to the games but the games can bring stuff from the anime whenever they want (copy abilities, characters, references, etc.), they don't recreate anything from 0, one just has to know the anime to know the stuff that's been shown. For example, a character from the anime can be shown but it has no name in-game, and everyone can at least know its name from the anime and arguably assume that it has the same or a similar story and relationship with other characters.

@Weekly What would be the stuff from there that Kirby's profile has?

"The anime is secondary canon"

It's not. It's a retelling of tons of stuff in the actual game. It literally cannot take place in the same universe.

We should only take what the game has explictly shown to take from the anime. Unless the stuff I listed above are included in the game, it shouldn't be added.

I agree with option 1, I find it kind of weird we let this happen in this first place. (Although the 20th Anniversary Encyclopedia sure liked to talk about Right Back At Ya, so it may be more canon than you think...) All the same, these two Kirbies are really different from one another, and so I think Option 1 is the way to go.

EDIT: Also, on the topic of Yarn Kirby, considering he's the same person, I don't think he should deserve a separate profile or anything. That would be like saying Sectonia and Sectonia fused with the Dreamstalk deserve separate profiles, in a way. However, I do see the point about abilities, fighting style, etc. But if that's an issue, can we not just make a separate key in that case? Then the abilities and the like can be neatly separated from his normal, non-crafted self.

@Saikou I'm fine with that and wasn't referring to the anime taking place in the same universe when I said it was a secondary canon. Most copy abilities but one (Kabuki) would get removed by this, I'm not sure if anything more.

I find odd how he would have that ability but not the others but I guess that's not so bad.

I am fine with Saikou's solution (the first option).

Thank you for helping out.

As someone who watched all 100 episodes,

No. It's very much not secondary canon.

First option.

>all 100 episodes

What about the last one that was on 3-D? Serious question.

This would also remove the Star Warrior category from Kirby and MK, their ages and Longevity (unless they scale to Galacta Knight or that my likely speculation of Amazing Mirror and Triple Deluxe having at least 1000 years between each other becomes true).

Unfortunately-

Wait, it's on youtube, probably, be right back.

For age, game Kirby should be several aeons old due to him sealing Dark Meta Knight in the Dimensional Mirror that long ago. This should also apply to a fair amount of characters for obvious reasons.

Please read this, "aeons" seems to be a mistranslation for "a lot of time"[1], which could be any amount of it. We just don't know how much time happened between those games, but it very likely was a lot.

Considering the localisations do their own thing half the time, but are still very valid sources that we use, I don't see this is an mistranslation but simply another way to put it. Hence, I don't see any reason as to why it should be seen as less valid. It was stated in an official work, after all, and it's not like we're not using the localisation release as a source as well (heck, we likely use it as our main source).

If we know it's false info we don't use it, logically. "Aeons" can be poetic for a lot of time or mean thousands of millions of years, we are not using that.

I don't see any reason for it to be deemed false if it was released in an official, licensed product validated by HAL themselves. Considering those who wrote the flavour text work for the same greater company as those translating it, it's not like this was translated in isolation from author intent. There's nothing pointing to it being invalid other than another version of the game using different phrasing, which is a pretty poor and shaky basis to use, at least in this context.

However, if you don't wish to use it, that's fine, it's just this tends to be the strongest piece of text used when citing Kirby's age, so I thought it would be apt for the wiki to follow suit. I don't think the vagueness is really an issue though, as whilst it can have many meanings, we aren't asserting either of them, simply just relaying what we've been told in a practically verbatim manner. Anyone who sees this as an assession to it being one of the two are simply just using their own interpretation. Though, at least we can agree a long time has passed, meaning Kirby has to be pretty old. I guess saying his age is unknown, but he noting is very old due to how long after his first adventure Triple Deluxe took place in brackets would suffice if we don't wish to get specific.

EMagoIorSouI said:
Off topic but where does Kirby's age factor come in from the anime?
Yes, in games he is just mentioned as a little/young boy/traveler.

Wait now that I have re-read your questions, I think the first episodes. When MK explains about Kirby.

EMagoIorSouI said:
Kirby just arrived the planet, it's habitantes obviously want to know about him, about how is a weird pink puff all the hero to save the universe from nightmare, through the series they learn about Kirby, MK explains stuff.

Back