• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Issue with "Quantum" Manipulation

Currently under our Matter Manipulation page we have divided the two smallest/most intrinsecal levels of the ability as it follows:

Macro-Quantum Manipulation: The ability to manipulate quarks, bosons (Gluons, Photons, Higgs Bosons, etc.), and leptons (Electrons, Muons, Positrons, Tau Particles, and Neutrinos). This also endows the ability to tinker with other properties at this level, such as electron arrangement and spin.

Quantum Manipulation: The ability to manipulate 1D quantum strings and foam, allowing the user to manipulate the very fundamental space-time packets that form our universe. The potential applications of this level are nearly unlimited, such as the aforementioned manipulation of space-time, the manipulation of matter and energy fields, and some users can even manipulate higher dimensions with it.

My problem is that this second definition is just... What? It doesn't describe Quantum Mechanics at all. It seems like it is about (Or sort of attempts to be about) String Theory, with some babble and concepts thrown on top that my inexpert criteria finds, under scientific terms: "Pretty damn cheesy". But that's not the point. The point is that, whatever it is, it just isn't Quantum.

• 1-D Strings aren't Quantum
  • Foam isn't Quantum
  • Higher Dimensions aren't Quantum
  • "Spacetime Packets" aren't Quantum
  • Quantum Fields are Quantum (So hey, one right at least)
Then what is Quantum, you might ask?

Quantum mechanics (QM; also known as quantum physics, quantum theory, the wave mechanical model, or matrix mechanics), including quantum field theory, is a fundamental theory in physics which describes nature at the smallest scales of energy levels of atoms and subatomic particles.

Quantum mechanics differs from classical physics in that energy, momentum, angular momentum and other quantities of a bound system are restricted to discrete values (quantization), objects have characteristics of both particles and waves (wave-particle duality), and there are limits to the precision with which quantities can be measured (the uncertainty principle).

Everything that is Quantum Mechanics falls under what we currently define as Macro-Quantum, it's that simple. Subatomic Particles, Physical Properties, Quantum Fields... So where I want to go is pretty obvious.

Proposal: Within the Matter Manipulation page, Macro-Quantum Manipulation should become just Quantum Manipulation.

The paragraph that incorrectly describes Quantum Manipulation gets erased, rewritten, and then renamed to something like "String Manipulation" . Or maybe just renamed if the definition just so happens to fit String Theory. Like I said, I'm not an expert on that so sadly I can't help you.

You may think it's a lot of fuzz for something that might be solved with a simple name change. But even ignoring that the definition might not even be correct for either things it wants to be, many characters get "Quantum Manipulation" added to their profiles based on statements, and when people come to this page, they find that this power is tied to a lot of weird nonsense that the writer most likely didn't want to imply when he thought about adding Quantum Mechanics to his verse. That's obviously not correct, that's like putting the definition of Laser Vision under Underwater Breathing.

PS: The "Quantum Manipulation" page seems to be mostly fine, even if it stretches things out a bit without much explanation.

Votes
Yay:

Nay:

Thunder McQuee:

I understand that the staff is saturated right now, so I'll just leave this here as an antecedent and bump it at some point in the future. No hurry.

You can ask a few calc group members to comment here if you wish. Ultima Reality and DontTalkDT might also be able to help out.

Okay. That could take a long while though.

Is somebody willing to do what I recommended earlier?

Back