• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Joey has many key resistances in this fight, and their intellect is similar, not sure how this will play out against Roland. I don't think Roland can use his Space-Time or PowerNull because those are Bankai things. His other rejection powers can be a problem though, especially that close-range one, though in the ORW world, demons don't bleed out so Joey will be sorta fine. Roland also resists Joey's main ability too, so Joey is solely gonna use his physical properties of his attacks to fight. This doesn't stop Joey from Soul Draining other lifeforms to heal though

I honestly don't know what powers belong in his current Key or not, hopefully I can find out throughout this thread fast.

I will follow

so ye

Sorry about the confusion with Roland's powerset! If you want I could explain it here, or just edit Roland's powers and abilities to make it by key. The only reason I didn't do that is because I'd have to specify for each key and in some keys he doesn't have certain powers but does possess others.

I don't really know how Roland is gonna get past Intang from Contra, Joey's Soul Resist can counteract Roland's Soul attacks as well. If I'm reading right, Roland really only just has Rejection. Not sure if that's enough to get past Joey's Amaterasu-esque Demon Fire attack if it's only limited to the sword

but isn't that because that it's hitting the enemies Soul? Joey resists Soul Attacks and Manip, so it wouldn't work right? (Joey's Resistance is immunity in the ORWverse, but it must be resistance in this setting, just as a note)

Busoshoku Haki is different, I think... I'm pretty sure it more has to do with "fighting spirit" and willpower than actual soul manip.

ORWverse's definition of a Soul would have that kind of stuff included though. And yes, it's so much more clear

Interesting... well then his intangibility, or as it is on his page, "Demonic Step" would be a massive counter. From what I understand, though, it has some drawbacks, such as Joey not being able to attack, being only able to move in one linear direction, and of course the cooldown of three seconds. The important subject here is can Roland kill Joey in one of those three second intervals of fighting, which I'm not sure about. They seem pretty equally matched on most fronts. I think Roland has the necessary defenses to counter his Demon Fire using Durendal's rejection, and it seems like they're equal everywhere else, too. This is a really great matchup so far.

Don't forget that it's not like Joey can't do anything after those three seconds, he can create Demonic Clones to cover him and fight for him. His various angles of attacks with Demonic Meteor and Demonic Jaw can catch people off guard. Not to mention that he has a way to heal via Soul Manip (since this takes place in NYC Central Park, he can absorb the "Soul" of a tree and such to heal up)

I didn't realize this was taking place in Central Park. You might want to add that to the opener. The rest is all true, from what I've read. However, Roland has Kenbunshoku Haki. This would allow him to predict Joey's moves, thus allowing him to prevent Joey from catching him off guard and perhaps keeping him from healing by destroying any source of life that could feed Joey before Joey has a chance to even do it. If he wanted to, he could just level Central Park using a high-level Kidō and keep Joey from healing from anything there. On the subject of ranged attacks, how does Joey do at a distance? Roland usually prefers a close up battle, but if push comes to shove he can dish out some damage from afar.

SBA or Standard Battle Assumptions have NYC Central Park as the default landscape, it can be left during the battle.

Even if he somehow were to rid of every single lifeform (AND assuming that it would be all at once), Joey can just go to the rest of the city and absorb more people and stuff. Joey can also Soul Drain from the grass too, so if Roland goes out of the way to annihilate every last blade of grass there is, it might leave him open.

Joey is an adaptable fighter, he doesn't have a preference, so he adapts to the enemy he fights. His boss battle is the perfect example, he goes long range against Wayne, the close range fighter at the time, and close range against Scott, the long range fighter. So he fairs pretty well due to his non-insistence on being close or long range.

In long range combat, Joey can use Demon Fire and Lightning to help wall his enemies out, and his Clones can help gain control over the battlefield. Other moves like Demonic Jaw and Demonic Meteor can dish out some solid long range damage

I am here if you like. In a bit after doing stuff on the main site I can look through both and give my own opinions.

Right.

Contra:

+ Soul rip gg

+ Duplication means quite a lot

+ Petrification hax

+ Resistances where applicable

+ Sorta-kinda intangibility but not super broken

Roland:

+ Possibly sealing? Not sure about how good this is.

+ Precognition

+ Space/Time hax (need elaboration on how these are used, same for Power Null)

+ Flight for mobility advantage

+ Range of Stellar for some powers

Verdict:

Need elaboration on Roland's sealing and space/time/power null. In a purely melee fight, Contra probably overwhelms due to soul hax and duplication alone. That said, under SBA they are 4 km apart, well outside of a lot of Joey's range.

W a i t m y g u y Joey don't got Petrification, it should be saying Resistance to Peterification/Transmutation. Also doesn't Roland have Soul Resist. 4km is technically in Joey's reach but he'll probably miss because he has to see the guy to hit the guy. Joey also has flight with Demonic Rush. Roland don't have SpaceTime or Power Null in this key apparently.

I'll add Serpent's vote for now

then I can't read so I'm clearly really smart

also those keys are ******* with me on Roland's stuff. If he lacks space time power null wombo, I wouldn't mind an idea on how busted precog/sealing is.

well yeah that is true, but Joey has some of his own hax as well in Duplication and Intang. His various angles of attacks will eventually catchup, Precog can't deal with so much stuff at once. If a Demon Fire lands it can be huge, though Roland may be able to reject it. While it's not really worth noting, Joey has a ~.78 teraton AP advantage, so if things get really close this may come into play

I'm aware. I accounted for them. I'd like to know how good the precog is first. The AP advantage is miniscule.

This is apparently what does the Precog stuff:

"Kenbunshoku Haki": Grants users a sixth sense of the world around them and limited precognitive abilities. The most common usage of this Haki allows the user to sense the presence of others. To fully master this ability would allow the user to see others even if they are concealed from view or too far to see naturally. When viewed this way, the user can't actually see the person with any physical characteristics, but rather recognizes the target(s) by their "aura" which forms as a light silhouette on a dark background, though since Roland can already sense the souls of others, he rarely makes use of this ability. The user can also use this Haki to predict an opponent's moves shortly before they make them, thereby making the attack much easier to evade with enough skill. This prediction appears to the user as an image or brief "premonition" of what the opponent will do in the user's mind's eye, and the damage the user will take if the attack actually "hits". It appears that the more killing intent the enemy has, the easier they are to predict, although more skilled users can predict moves whether there are ambient murderous intents or not.

So now I need sealing, since that term is incredibly broad. Apologies if I don't read the full profile (especially for Ishida since his is quite girthy), sorta kinda doing other stuff.

nvm Would Contra's abilities be considered spiritual? I feel as though his soul abilities probably would be, but not sure.

I mean, kinda? In a way? Joey's main ability is to use Demonic Energy (so basically has the same definition as Energy in the ORWverse but evil), Demonic Energy has the traits of Soul Draining along with it. So if the Soul/Spiritual part was sealed off, the Demonic Energy still remains at just your normal blast without the Soul Drain part. Intang, Demon Fire/Ice/Lightning, are all a part of Demon Phyisology, and don't have anything to do with Soul Draining, though the attacks do have that effect

But mechanically is it done through spiritual power (as in, like, fighter will, chi, or some shamanic magic, I figure would all equalize into "Spiritual Power")

Nope. Not really. Manipulating Energy is not like manipulating chakra or ki. I should really get rid of "Chi Manip" for "Energy Manip" on the files to not confuse anyone

OK A FEW THINGS FIRST DIDN'T REALIZE I LEFT RANGE AS STELLAR GONNA FIX THAT

Second

His sealing works basically by striking an opponent in a very specific place in order to seal off any spiritual abilities they may have. For reference, its what Byakuya did to Ichigo at the end of Arc 1 of Bleach.

Once, but it usually seals the targets spiritual abilities for good (unless you get main character bullshit like Ichigo)

Then for now my vote does go to Contra based on my own reasoning above.

If we have 3 votes, then this'd go into grace. If we have 4, then grace isn't needed and a winner can be declared immediately.

Back