• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Insect Brackets Round 1: Asian Giant Hornet vs Praying Mantis

The mantis was clearly not trying to fight the hornet in the video tho
but i guess i'll count that

The mantis was clearly not trying to fight the hornet in the video tho
but i guess i'll count that
It was struggling at first, but their poison is very potent.
The hornet is also physically stronger, I think.
It also has way more impressive piercing capability with its stinger.

The video is proof, but I think even without it I would definitely vote the hornet here.

Hm. How well does the Hornets Pain work on other Insects? I’m not familiar- oh wait, it kills people in a couple of stings, if he gets that off the Mantis is probably dead lol

Murder Hornet wins.

That video’s apparently on the profile to justify its AP, so…. Go Hornet?

Hm. How well does the Hornets Pain work on other Insects? I’m not familiar- oh wait, it kills people in a couple of stings, if he gets that off the Mantis is probably dead lol

That video’s apparently on the profile to justify its AP, so…. Go Hornet?
vote counted i guess

That was Defending Itself? It looked like it was just sitting there lol.
It was dying rapidly from the poison. It tried to defend itself a bit at the beginning, but it was too weak to stop anything.

A Hornet absolutely isn't physically stronger. Preying Mantis's are capable of Preying on much larger animals and reptiles. They've been documented in the past snapping the necks of Lizard's, and overpowering much stronger creatures. The only thing the Hornet can do is sting here, but Mantis's prey on other bugs such as Spider's and occasionally Scorpions who utilize their stingers to a much more lethal degree than Hornet's.

The Mantis either takes this or it drops dead after killing the Hornet making it incon.

First of all, although the video can be used as a wasp point, this battle was put into practice by humans, which means that both insects are stressed during the battle, as well as being in a very tight space, considering that this Lita happens in the central park and most likely it happened in the branches of a tree, where the Praying Mantis would take advantage of the camouflage blending between the leaves, the question is, would the wasp manage to sting the praying mantis after he holds it in his arms?

First of all, although the video can be used as a wasp point, this battle was put into practice by humans, which means that both insects are stressed during the battle, as well as being in a very tight space, considering that this Lita happens in the central park and most likely it happened in the branches of a tree, where the Praying Mantis would take advantage of the camouflage blending between the leaves, the question is, would the wasp manage to sting the praying mantis after he holds it in his arms?
i was actually planning on making the battle start on a tree branch but removed it, i wonder if i should add that back in

A Hornet absolutely isn't physically stronger. Preying Mantis's are capable of Preying on much larger animals and reptiles. They've been documented in the past snapping the necks of Lizard's, and overpowering much stronger creatures. The only thing the Hornet can do is sting here, but Mantis's prey on other bugs such as Spider's and occasionally Scorpions who utilize their stingers to a much more lethal degree than Hornet's.

The Mantis either takes this or it drops dead after killing the Hornet making it incon.
The hornet upscales from a smaller hornet which can overpower mice too... the strength difference isn't as big as you probably thing it is either way.
I don't think there's a world where the praying mantis can kill the hornet without getting stung first, at which point it's pretty much an instant loss.

The hornet upscales from a smaller hornet which can overpower mice too... the strength difference isn't as big as you probably thing it is either way.
I don't think there's a world where the praying mantis can kill the hornet without getting stung first, at which point it's pretty much an instant loss.
if the praying mantis hold her before getting stung maybe

if the praying mantis hold her before getting stung maybe
that's pretty dangerous but there might be a way it could hold the hornet without being stung, it probably depends on the flexibility of the hornet and if the praying mantis is fast enough

I never said it was big, I just said that it has the advantage. Hornets don't overpowe mice, they sting them to death. Mantis's overpower mice with their own strength, same for birds and are even capable of cracking the necks of smaller lizards. The difference isn't huge but it's definitely an advantage nonetheless.
That depends entirely, Mantis's definitely have the eyesight advantage over Hornets and are experts at sudden attacks. The Mantis could simply just grab the Hornet, pin it down and break its neck.

I'm voting incon however.

I don't think the praying mantis has a way to hold it without it being able to sting him... the wasp is pretty flexible.
and... maybe, and I'm not even going to ask if the Vespa would attack or try to run away since they've already said that it's quite aggressive... wouldn't he be able to kill with his arms if he caught her off guard?

That depends entirely, Mantis's definitely have the eyesight advantage over Hornets and are experts at sudden attacks. The Mantis could simply just grab the Hornet, pin it down and break its neck.
That's a good point... I might change to incon if the situation changes to allow the mantis to camo.

I never said it was big, I just said that it has the advantage. Hornets don't overpowe mice, they sting them to death. Mantis's overpower mice with their own strength, same for birds and are even capable of cracking the necks of smaller lizards. The difference isn't huge but it's definitely an advantage nonetheless.

I'm voting incon however.
I'm kind of starting to agree with you, for now I vote incon to

Oh, the situation already changed to a tree branch.
I'll change to incon because the mantis can likely surprise-attack the hornet for the kill, but I think it'll still get stung and die from poison after the hornet is dead.

I have a feeling that incon will happen a lot with venomous insects like this.

I have a feeling that incon will happen a lot with venomous insects like this.
Yeah probably.
but it's likely gonna only happen with venomous vs non-venomous insects, since with venomous insects the win would most likely go to the one who can land a sting first or who's poison would start taking effect first

Back