• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

In regards to thread title length and signature length

The_Impress

She/Her
VS Battles
Retired
Hi.

I have noticed two things as of now that seem... exploitable to say the least.

Firstly the somewhat minor one, thread names which appear on the url for the page. This is fine but some people like to do long winded texts for their thread titles which I think would cause minor issues when linking them, as some of these are super expansive.

Examples:

Secondly I think signatures are an exploitable feature since certain users can put media or long winded text in there that might confuse others. This I think is more major imo, and offsite there has been a discussion regarding certain ways even non-malicious users accidentally cause problems regarding this.

As such I think some rule placement needs to be discussed regarding these topics, preferably before widespread forum shift, so that we have lesser problems to deal with.

Make a rule that if an image is to be posted in the Signature section and people really want to have it, then it to be in a Spoiler tag like I have for example as this will help.

A rule that a Spoiler section is required for images in signatures makes sense to me.

I'd say a media restriction for Signatures and some word limit restriction for both, not extremely strict but still sorta enforced upon the users.

A rule that a Spoiler section is required for images in signatures makes sense to me.
See but I think Spoiler section is problematic because it straight up looks indistinguishable from the base message, and as such may cause some confusion

Think Signatures should be restricted to the low tens in terms of number of words, thread titles idk.

I doubt it's practical to go around whipping people for having slightly too long signatures or thread titles. Isn't there any way to directly implement these limitations on the site?

Also yeah a 250 character limit or something would be nice, but we lack that. I agree with the goal, though how we implement it depends on the tools available to us.

As I mentioned in th Discord, you can limit Sig sizes in Xenforo software...granted, I don't know how to do it, but mlpforums.com, which also uses the software, limits sig sizes to a few lines + a small image that can't exceed a certain dimension threshold. Could come into use.

If a bit limiter is available for signatures tbh, that'll straight up fix everything

If we need to change the XenForo settings, I will need to ask Sultan about it. Otherwise I will just need some concrete rules suggestions.

I think a guideline discouraging regular users to have long thread names, and a rule of 20 word-limit or 1 spoilered media for signatures is fine if there isn't a setting introduced.

Okay. I will first ask Sultan about this.

Here are our current signature settings. Please tell us how we should preferably adjust them.Signature settings.png

I think a guideline discouraging regular users to have long thread names, and a rule of 20 word-limit or 1 spoilered media for signatures is fine if there isn't a setting introduced.
20 words is absurdly restrictive imo. One image is fine however.

I do not think that we should allow images. They tend to be an annoying distraction for the members who have not turned off viewing signatures for themselves.

Anyway, I also think that we should turn off embedded media and possibly smilies and block tags, only allow a single link, a limited number of words/characters and relatively small text size.

Definitely on embedded media - that allows people to have stuff like videos on their sigs.

A maximum character limit also seems necessary.

I think images are fine, but only in moderation. I go on a lot of forums, and images are never distracting unless they're massive. A limit of a single image I think is okay.

Maximum word/character limit is good, but it should be discussed and experimented with around. I think something around 300-500 characters can work for now, and we can experiment later if it's too little or too much.

I go on a lot of forums, and images are never distracting unless they're massive.

A lot of the time I see that on forums, it's limited to small banners. The moment you get into photos that have enough height to make them look like posts themselves then it just makes the forum look bad.

Maybe impose a certain pixel size and aspect ration restriction?

Fairly certain a longass image that's ultimately not very tall wouldn't be super intrusive.

I agree with Dargoo, and we do not have precise enough settings to only allow some images and not others, so given that many people find repeated images very annoying, it seems best to try to keep the signatures to the point and non-intrusive.

I attached an image that shows our current settings below, but I have asked our system administrator to adjust them to only allow 3 lines and regular text size as well.

Maximum Lines I think should definitely not be unlimited if I understand it well. 5 lines at best

The maximum number of lines have now been set to 3.

I swear I've seen images in other people's signatures, why can't I see it in mine? :v

Back