• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Important update regarding the future of our forums

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Hello.

As you can see in the link below, we have received some good news that Fandom's internal forum removal will be delayed until at least April, so the company setting up our new external forum will have considerably more time to finish, but that is a hard deadline connected to a site-wide system update, so after that there will really be no more forum here:

https://community.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:MisterWoodhouse/An_update_on_the_Forum_retirement_pla

In addition, I have been talking with official Fandom staff members that I know, and one option that we thought seemed good for how to more efficiently manage the invitations to our new forum is that Fandom will send out customised username-specific links to all our active members with verified e-mail addresses (the links would be sent via private e-mail messages). It is too early to make any promises regarding this yet, but I would still appreciate if all of our active members see to that they have a confirmed e-mail address that they actually use active for their accounts here.

Here is how you update you e-mail if needed:

My Preferences -> Email -> Address -> My Email Address

Thanks in advance for any help.

Yes, we wouldn't have had enough time to finish otherwise.

Also, I would really appreciate if all members who do not have a confirmed e-mail address here yet get one activated. It is likely very important.

As far as I understand, they use very outdated system code.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
It's great that it got delayed, would be even better if it was canceled altogether, but it's at least something. That also buys as more time to have everything moved.
Can't happen, here's a quote from Woodhouse:

MisterWoodhouse said:
Simply put, the code which powers Special:Forum is not compatible with the modern wiki platform we are building for Fandom and Gamepedia.
What will happen to the new forum project if the modifications to Discussions prove to be adequate at handling regular forum activity?

The modifications will not be anything drastic as far as I am aware. A customisable XenForo option is far preferable.

@NeoSuperior

You need to click a link in the confirmation e-mail in order to activate it for your account here, if I remember correctly, although that may not be what you meant.

@Antvasima

I mean are there any "options" in regards to e-mail on our fandom accounts that might cause the "invitation e-mail" for the new forum not to arrive at our e-mail-address, that we need to watch out for?

I do not know, but do not think so. Fandom just needs to have an e-mail address that you use available.

MilesTheMorales1 said:
@Therefir That's the main thing I'm worried about. As said in the first post linked in the OP, this was purely a business decision that didn't think about us, the people.
I disagree. Fandom is currently running on a disgustingly outdated version of MediaWiki with no way to get back on track without rebuilding the entire thing from the ground up, this includes the forums. Many, many modern features available in MediaWiki are missing that people have been clamoring for for literally years. These features haven't been provided due to how Fandom's basic coding infrastructure has branched from MediaWiki. It's a mess, according to the UCP blog.

The UCP isn't a decision made as a business decision.

NoGround said:
I disagree. Fandom is currently running on a disgustingly outdated version of MediaWiki with no way to get back on track without rebuilding the entire thing from the ground up, this includes the forums. Many, many modern features available in MediaWiki are missing that people have been clamoring for for literally years. These features haven't been provided due to how Fandom's basic coding infrastructure has branched from MediaWiki. It's a mess, according to the UCP blog.

The UCP isn't a decision made as a business decision.
"Rebuilding from the ground up" doesn't require removing a fuckton of features. It probably was a necessity to rewrite the codebase, but what they rewrote the codebase into was a business decision.

There's no law of computing that makes programs written in 2019 unable to have topics for threads, or that makes community discussions incapable of supporting hyperlinks in text, or that makes preview buttons impossible.

These changes were made to appeal to a different demographic, a demographic that they chose as a business decision.

You're right, I'm wrong, it is a business decision, but I wouldn't toss it up as "not thinking about the people." That's... disingenuous and dismissive. There are plenty of people on Fandom. Now, what if Discussions was also completely overhauled to be closer to a forum-style with appropriate features?

If they had appropriate features I'd be fine with it. They've made some strides in that direction (when I first checked it out you couldn't even bold text), but there's still large and essential pieces missing.

Oh I'm well aware of the missing features. I hate Discussions in its current iteration. They're horrible, difficult to moderate, lack features, and have an actually confusing UI.

That's why I'm hoping for a massive restructure of it with the UCP. If they don't, 100% better to just move the forums.

There is a glitch that sometimes automatically deletes posts to the forum we are in right now. If you write long posts, it is safest to copy the text before submitting them.

How would I check if my account has an e-mail linked to it? I made it a lot ago, and I'm unsure.

Back