• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Important: The discussion topics organisation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Hello.

I have worked hard to try to keep the discussions forum organised for over 4 years now, by trying to make sure that it is possible to easily find relevant thread discussions regarding revisions for characters, verses, explanation and policy pages.

This is accomplished by linking to the related topics pages at the bottom of the threads. For example, a suggested content revision for Vegeta and Son Goku (Dragon Ball Super) should include topics for both of these profiles, along with the related Dragon Ball verse page, so all the discussions about them would be easy to browse for and find.

Similarly, if somebody suggests revisions for the Tiering System page or asks questions about how it works, a topic for that page should be included as well.

The same principle holds if somebody does the same for one of our powers & abilities pages, such as Conceptual Manipulation or Energy Projection.

Given that Fandom's search function does not function properly, maintaining this organisation is absolutely crucial in order for us to find relevant past discussions about different topics.

Unfortunately the situation has gone completely out of hand, with unrelated topics linked to all types of discussion threads. For example, here is what the Tiering System discussion list currently looks like, thanks to indisciminate additions of the related topic:

Overused tag for tier revisions

And here is another example for Not Important:

Tag spammed fo memes - Fun and Games stuff

I would greatly appreciate if everybody in the wiki could please stop adding inappropriate topics to discussion threads, and if experienced staff members could help out by removing them where they are unwarranted, because our discussions forums organisation is getting completely out of control.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Can the Powerscaling tag be used when regarding tier changes for a character/verse?

Without the tiering system for such use, making revisions without it will easily make a bunch of important threads get ignored.

@Bobsican

No, a page must exist in order to create a discussion topic for it.

Maybe they could just be made but with a new category for them? So they don´t get confused with profiles and so on, like the pages in the "Important" category, for example.

@Bobsican

I do not understand what you mean.

You know, like the category pages like this one

Simply put, my idea is to make "pages" that supplement categories for the discussion threads, likely also just copying the format the category pages have.

It would help a lot with the organization, so those that look for anything regarding the changes of a tier in a character/verse, may just check the resective topic, for example.

The "Not Important" topic gag started as a joke over two years ago. I thought we'd have moved on from that by now. Really, it should have stopped being a thing a long time ago.

You people really do run things into the ground. This is ridiculous.

@Bobsican

We do not have the ability to change the wiki settings to allow category pages to be added as topics, and there is no good reason to do so.

Our previous organisation method has worked fine. Please stop derailing this important discussion from its main purpose.

Who said we had to do it like that?

Just posting them in the same fashion as done as profiles, but with a similar formatting to the category pages themselves can do it.

Also, it isn´t derailing, as it´s about the outcomes of this, which I´m worried about.

@Bobsican

I told you to stop. You are diverting attention from a very crucial topic that is necessary for the wiki to function properly. I will have to start to deleting your posts if you continue.

He is basically asking if it's possible to make topics that can be used to supplement the existing ones.

Like, there is never going to be a topic that is actually appropriate for 90% of the F&G threads, but having them would help solving this issue

@Kaltias

As I mentioned earlier, I am afraid that we are not able to do so, as it is not allowed by the wiki settings.

@All

Can we return to the main topic please? It is important.

I will say that the Not Important gag was something I started back when I was still a regular user in 2016-17. I think I did it a few times before others started doing it (I did the same with Fungus Manipulation around that time, also), and I definitely stopped after a while because I only ever meant for it to be a brief joke rather than some long-running thing. But I'll take responsibility for that much.

Looking at it now makes me wish I'd never done it, though. This should never have had to become such an issue, and I find it disappointing that people don't have more sense than to let something like this go on for so long...

What should we do about the OOC thread? There is no paticular topic for a thread of such joking nature, so it just has random topics for it. For example, the current disscussion tags on it link to Thunder McQuee, Smoke Manipulation, Cancer Deathmask, and Meme Tatane. The obvious problem being I'm pretty sure there has to be at least 1 discussion tag, so I'm not sure what to do about that.

@MrKingOfNegativity

Well, it was just an example. The greater problem is that we have an overload of inappropriate topics added to a massive number of discussion threads.

I also forgot to mention in the beginning that versus thread discussions should preferably not have any verse page topics added to them, only the 2 combattants in question. This is due to that it should be made easier to find the relevant content revision discussions.

@CinnabarManx421

The most important thing is that we are able to find relevant past content revision discussions.

The fun & games forum is for entertainment, not meant to be taken seriously.

@Kaltias

Okay. Never mind then.

Btw, it seems like some of the threads' categories were edited by off-site trolls. IIRC that can be done literally by anyone as long as one has registered on the site, which's not right for obvious reasons.

I'd appreciate some help, too.

I would also appreciate if experienced other members (who know what they are doing) help out RebubleUselet with the organisation. Thank you.

Should I ask the Fandom staff to change the wiki settings so only staff members are able to add or remove discussion topics, or would it be a bad idea?

Could it be changed so that only users/auto confirmed users could add or remove discussion topics?

@Agnaa

That would not help us against the trolls, as they could just register email addresses connected to their accounts to become auto confirmed.

Of course, the downside to my suggestion is that many threads would end up without any topics that give them organisation in the first place, as the staff members do not inspect every single thread, and regrettably recurrently do not bother to correct the topics in the ones that they do visit.

The best solution might be if a large enough percentage of our members continuously help out with this, by following the instructions in my first post in this thread.

I agree with the topic. I think the solution is renaming the (profiles) page to have the Title so others are less likely to add the Tags and I have done it before from the Article Clean up Report for Verse (The King of Fighters): here where I did not create redirect to not recreate the tag. While the new tags still link to the old thread, I believe it less likely to be added.

I already added some profile name change but for P&A pages, adding the link is something that looks pretty intentional and perhaps should have a warning in a way or another.

As a fairly new member, I feel like I've kind of been fairly confused as to what categories are appropriate for what topics, and I think that many other people feel the same way.

In other words, I do agree to this, for the sake of members old and new. And if there's any room for me to help with this, I can attempt to pitch in as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back