• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Important suggestions for turning the wiki more professional (Staff only)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with Ogbunabali and Zaratthustra.

I believe you all are speaking of a minority in terms of what we actually rate here (barring Zarat's point about anniversary editions, but such things can be specified), but I suppose.

But then a lot of books don't have chapters while some have lots of them or just a few that cover hundreds of pages
This is true, but I'll also like to point out, it's not like we're getting rid of scans or anything. If there's no point to reference, it's okay not to reference anything. A character from a game with no levels, or quests, or anything similar, doesn't have the need for references, but will still (hopefully) have scans.

Well, as I stated earlier, I am afraid that the EU and US governments will crack down on scans hosted on Imgur and similar sites, so it would be much preferable if we start to use references as a standard instead, to not risk to have the entire wiki struck by a massive disaster in one sudden blow when all of them are removed by artificial intelligence.

Oh, ouch, I didn't know that. If such event comes to pass, so much will be lost, and I've spent many hours uploading and studying scans.

I agree that a page specification is good, but I'd rather have it as optional, while listing the chapter or whatever other division there is may be the minimum required.

I don't know anything about this for a fact. I just strongly suspect that is what is eventually going to happen.

Is it fine if we publish our draft as an official "References" page and update our standard format for character profiles page to remove "Optional" from its references section now?

Thank you. I updated our main instruction page for how to write character profiles:

The only things that seem to remain to do here is to publish the new References page and to write new instructions regarding the issue for our Editing Rules page.

Would somebody be willing to write a draft for the rules page please?

I posted the References page.

As for the rule, I'd like to add it below this one:
  • Don't sacrifice any details for the reading convenience. Try to get the information across in the most efficient manner. If you don't manage to come up with a short explanation, then stick to a longer one.
And this is what I had suggested earlier:
  • Always include the References section in character pages and information blogs to source all the important information covered in said profile or blog. To know more on how to use them, read the References page.

Thank you for helping out. That seems good to add to me.

Here is a slightly modified text:

"Always include the References section in character pages and information blogs to source all the important information covered within them. To learn more regarding how to use them, read the References page."

Thank you. I will close this thread then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back