• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Important information about illegal streaming links

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
I think that only the links to movie streaming sites are considered a problem at this point.

Is this just for streaming services? I've linked to pirated books before but would habe to find it.

Well, it is obviously much preferable to simply upload a relevant image of a feat used for scaling to this wiki, imgur, or similar, rather than link to an entire externally hosted manga chapter, but I do not think that it seems realistic for us to find and remove all such links in almost 24,000 pages.

Anyway, what was mentioned here was links to sites that host movies, TV series and the like.

Scans and video clips are fine, links to illegal sites are not. I've said this three years ago as a warning (specifically about our manga profiles linking to manga reading sites, and movie watching sites).

Well, I would obviously much prefer if all of the links to manga scanslation sites would be replaced with locally uploaded scans of the relevant images instead, but it would be a massive project to remove them, and I am far too overworked to organise it myself.

Here is a very useful page to use in order to find links to different external sites: https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Special:LinkSearch

Basically

• Small clips or individual scans are fine. So gifs and single images are okay
  • Linking to comic, manga, or video sites are not. So things like readcomic, ********, and ********* links need to be removed.

Antvasima said:
Well, I would obviously much prefer if all of the links to manga scanslation sites would be replaced with locally uploaded scans of the relevant images instead, but it would be a massive project to remove them, and I am far too overworked to organise it myself.
I can add that project to my bucket list.

@Qawsedf234

Well the links to manga (and possibly western comicbook) upload sites should preferably be replaced with scans uploaded to this wiki instead, not removed entirely.

However, our first priority is to get rid of the links to illegal video streaming sites.

@Sera

Thank you very much for the help. Please take note of the external link search function that I linked to earlier.

**********, I take it, is on the banned list?

I do not know, but if it hosts lots of full episodes available for free, probably yes.

Question, what if a scan/screenshot of a feat has a link within it? (Free manga reading websites most notably)

I think that only direct links are a problem.

I am not sure. Simply mentioning that something is available via an specific illegal hosting site is probably fine at least, but linking directly should probably be avoided.

Youtube links to brief video clips are also probably fine.

So these two aren't okay:

Superman Vol 2 #154 March 2000

https://***************.to/Comic/Superman-1987/Issue-154?id=16586

But this is?

https:// *************** .to/Comic/Superman-1987/Issue-154?id=16586

Basically

• A single image (from the wiki, blogspot, whatever) is fine (or a a small album)
  • A gif or YouTube video is fine (though most YouTube stuff gets taken down)
  • Any link, either direct or in support of using those sites are not allowed. So no Kisscarton/********* links, no ********/*********** links, and no Readcomics links. They need to be removed
So these two aren't okay:

None of them are okay.

Honestly there's no excuse for doing it either, manga scans should be shared with a reliable image hosting site like Imgur, and video scans of any kind should be cliped/gif'ed through gfycat or giphy.

From what I understand YouTube clips could also fall under piracy, by the way, although this is just from my experience with other forums.

Maybe for anime-related stuff, but I think video game clips are fine since those fall under fair use with game streaming and whatnot.

Hmm, I have a blog with hundreds if not thousands of this links. I guess I will be busy for a while.

Aw crap.

This isn't a problem for the profiles as far as I can tell, as I don't recall atleast any comic pages using a reference section, but this'll be more problematic for forums and blogs.

Are there any repercussions for this yet, or?

No idea, since all my blogs use only gfycat, youtube or imgur links. I should also note that the youtube links I use don't violate any copyright laws since they're mostly gameplay videos which I think are protected under fair use.

Yeah, It's generally preferable to upload images on Imgur or Gyazo, and videos on stuff similar to that. YouTube videos are often fine, but a lot of YouTube videos have often been taken down due to copyright claims. A lot of video games do use Let's Play videos from popular gaming channels, which are also fine. But yeah, stuff like ****************** or Anime Ram might not be considered legal. So avoid making direct URLs to said websites.

What if you're linking to an image from a pirate site, but not to the site itself?

It can be done by opening an individual page in a new tab and copy pasting the URL

If it's just the image on Discordapp or Google Images that's simply a tab. It should be fine.

Back