• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just find it hard to believe that Thanos with the IG is capable of sealing multiversal beings... mostly because the IG only works in its own universe.

Anyone wanna help me with this?

There are lots of contradiction regarding the Infinity Gems. Basically they have never demonstrated power beyond universal scale on their own, but the entities they have defeated have done so in other stories.

Is it possible that they are only defeating an avatar of them then? Like banning them from the universe that he exists in?

There's an important difference between only having universal power and only being able to ''use'' the Gauntlet's power inside its home universe.

I disagree with doing that, the power scaling involved is pretty clear. If we used the logic of it not working outside its home universe then even 2-C wouldn't make sense. But that logic doesn't work, and the IG clearly scales higher than a bunch of beings that are far beyond that level of power. Even in one of the most recent storylines it was shown to have Multiversal levels of power within the stones.

Does that mean it has Multiversal range though? Because that doesn't make sense considering it doesn't work outside its own universe.

PrinceOfTheMorning said:
I disagree with doing that, the power scaling involved is pretty clear. If we used the logic of it not working outside its home universe then even 2-C wouldn't make sense. But that logic doesn't work, and the IG clearly scales higher than a bunch of beings that are far beyond that level of power. Even in one of the most recent storylines it was shown to have Multiversal levels of power within the stones.
That was why I was saying to say that it is at least 2-C with an unknown tier. That way we have a base line... we just don't know how far it goes up.

Actually out of curiosity. Are the other users of it Multiversal level... cause there may be something there.

It has a direct feat of Multiversal+ range. As long as the Gauntlet is within its universe that doesn't mean its energy blasts/shockwaves can't ripple outside of it.

Hmm.

Can we make a note of that then on the IG page, then. That way we don't get confused about the limit of the IG.

All in all... if it trully has Multiversal Range... then it's weakness is a bloody stupid one. One works in its own universe but can affect the Multiverse!

Bah!

It's really just that Hickman didn't properly define the weakness and left a glaring opening, meaning prior feats weren't retconned like they likely should have been.

He was already Multiversal before the retcon, if you want a note you should write it here and then we will see what to do with it.

Something like : The Infinity Gauntlet can only be activated in its own universe. That does not mean, though, that it can not affect the multiverse.

I think that it was shown to not be able to control the universes outside of its own during Hickman's FF run.

Yes, but apparently, according to these other guys, it can still affect other universes. Like energy shockwaves.

Personally I don't agree.

The current take on the gems seems to be that they can only affect a single universe, but can overpower beings of far greater scale than that within it. This is likely to solve the plot hole of why people in alternative timelines who have assembled the gems are not constantly conquering the multiverse.

I mean it can have 1-C AP but that doesn't mean it has higher range than outside it's own universe. And if the only range feat that's multiversal is just shockwaves the page is very misleading.

This is why I think that this whole IG thing needs a rewrite. This whole thing is a major confusion bomb.

So then is the IG just 2-C?

No, unless Cosmic Cubes are now greater than the IG /s.

What should probably be done is clarify the range to mention the energy shockwaves, whereas the other abilities are likely limited to Low 2-C range.

@POTM

Would you be willing to handle it?

PrinceOfTheMorning said:
No, unless Cosmic Cubes are now greater than the IG /s.

What should probably be done is clarify the range to mention the energy shockwaves, whereas the other abilities are likely limited to Low 2-C range.
Wasn't it stated in The Infinity Crusade that IG is more powerful than Cosmic Cubes?

@Ant

The ranges are changed. It was agreed in another thread to remove the High 2-A from Adam Warlock but I forget the specific justification Eficiente wanted to change it to, so I didn't do anything about that.

@Emperor

Considering just the range was changed, I don't think a whole separate key is needed.

@Jack

I think you missed the /s

I don't remember any other explicit range feats, but they'd be helpful to have if you've got the scans. I still think that would be something that should be noted in the range section though, rather than clutter the entire profile with a second key for the sake of a range retcon.

I have locked the pages again.

Anyway, with the exception of Nemesis, who seems to have likely been retconned out of existence, I see no proof of multi-universal range within the scans.

When was Nemesis retconned? Like in that era? Magus clearly has a 2-C range feat. The others are statements which I understand if you disagree with. Also the "home universe" stuff is not applicable because it still works outside Eternity at least before that retcon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back