• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

If you were/are writer, how strong would/did you make your Verse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maverick_Zero_X

She/Her
VS Battles
Administrator
How strong would you write your characters to be assuming they're to enter combat settings?

I'd personally write my general characters to be in Tier 8 range (never going beyond 8-A) with Top Tiers being Tier 7. Hax would be simplistic as possible.

Depends on what type of character I'm writing.

• If my character is a super badass martial artist yet still human like Bruce Lee or Jackie Chan type movies, I'd make them 9-C or low end 9-B.
  • If my character is blatantly superhuman, I'd make them Tier 8-7. This is because characters at this level could cause destruction on an immense scale which an audience can easily see how ridiculously powerful they are. Arbitrarily adding bigger numbers (especially numbers too big for humans to actually fathom) to feats doesn't make them more impressive. Especially to non powerscalers. It's why people are more amazed by All Might's fights than Suggsverse's.
  • If my characters are meant to be cosmic gods with roles similar to the Marvel Skyfathers, I'd put them at Tier 3-2.
  • Tier 1 I'd only reserve for higher entities that don't actually fight. Rather they are meant to serve philosophical themes and/or cosmic horror through humanity's insignificance. Characters like Cthulhu Mythos gods or Vertigo's Endless.
I wouldn't at all focus on power really though. I'd just do what makes sense for the series, its setting, its scale and the overall story I'm trying to write.

Feats serve 2 purposes in a narrative sense.

1. Establishing how strong, powerful or badass a character is in order to impress and/or intimidate the audience.

2. Destructive feats in particular will often be used to bring about disasters, loss of life or drastic stakes.

No respectable writer makes a feat for the sole purpose of having their character beat others in a hypothetical VS battle, or to appease a small niche of people online who care about that sort of thing. You shouldn't either if you want to make a series.

It honestly depends on the setting, in my opinion, but I generally agree with Ryu

For example, I'm planning on a verse that I'm pretty sure won't even get into Tier 8 or even get any hax

Well, for my series, they're tier 4 solely because Seth is a black hole and because I have an inferiority complex. Most of their showings are between tier 9 and tier 7.

I've always had a verse of my own floating around in my mind. In the beginning everyone is Tier 8 physically and with weapons, with a couple Tier 7 weapons. Later on, they get upgrades that put them into the very upper ends of Tier 7.

From tier 6 to 3 depending on the mood.Destruction in the scenes would either be made to look cool or to develop the story (depends on the genre).

Some tier 9 characters with soulbound weapons that give broken tier 2-3 hax like non-existance erasure and passive tier 2 mindhax and concept erasure, just to be odd.

Shaking/earthquake creation feats are the best.

They are incredibly impressive and will wow the audience based on how well they're executed.

They often get high results. (Sure not as high as busting something but still really strong)

They don't destroy the setting around someone or have to kill people. Therefore your good guy can perform this feat and still look like the good guy. Your bad guy can do this feat without killing too many people that the good guy should have saved.

I once created a character long ago who I thought was only tier 9 to tier 8 at most. Later I realized he was high 6-C.

I recall before I really paid attention to this site, I made a feat that was like, 7-B, and it was simply populating an island with trees. And I made a better feat than one I was trying to make impressive by someone cutting down all the trees individually in < 15 seconds, compared to someone flying across all of America in a minute.

I made 2 feats for a character.

1. Holding a skyscraper with their eyelashes, then demolishing it by blinking.

2. Demolishing a sword into dozens of tiny pieces, then reassembling the pieces before their opponent even saw anything happen.

I thought these feats were so amazing and this person was like insanely broken. Then I go to this site and read the profiles :(

When I was really young I also had the absolute god tier of my verse reach 99.999999% light speed.

Probably tier 9-10, with a few exceptions, since I usually find that the most creative abilities work only on that level (at least realistically)

And a tier 5 whose weakness is being tier 5

It also depends on how you hype up and execute a character. Almost anyone would agree Guts and All Might are cooler and more badass than say Garlic Jr. despite him obviously being ridiculously stronger.

Personally I like more down to earth yet still insane feats. Goku moving around with 100 kilos is probably my favorite feat ever, and is what motivated me to really get into shape when I was a kid.

I mean it almost feels like something I could do with with enough hard work. Yeah in actuality it's superhuman and I'd likely never get that strong. (You'd never be able to fight at super high speeds with it like he did, but somewhat moving around with that weight isn't too far off)

But regardless it's something close to human grasping, and works as a goal for where you'd want to get. Someone juggling universes doesn't motivate you because you know that's just complete fantasy bullshit lol

About OP's question

If my story is more psychological and focused on character relations instead of battle, then I will make it tier 1. The central characters would be 2-B/2-A while the god tiers will reach 1-A.

But if it's supposed to focus on battles. Then I will make the characters 7-A. I might even make them 5-C by giving them a deceptive kinetic energy feat so long as I don't have to have them outright bust celestial objects.

I would have my character go up tiers like have them be 9-B and slowly (in my case most likely quickly) become something to like high 1-A only to have a tier 0 one shot them into oblivion

I'm kind of a battle fanatic, so I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't make OP characters with OP abilities. The thing I would be worried about is making those abilities make sense in the narrative while being interesting and unique.

I probably gonna create a 3-D character with higher dimensional hax and resistance to it. Then that 3-D character is going to fight the higher dimensional beings because he is "the part" of that being, similar to apoptosis stuff from Masadaverse I guess.

@Ryu

You definitely have a point about a character's execution. More "contained" showings of power are way easier to follow and more presentable then having characters monologue about being able to destroy entire universes or some shizz.

But my favorite characters still need Tier 2 feats so I can wank them with a clear conscience

I also unknowing created a massively hypersonic+ feat in another story. Basically Pagri Paste was preparing to face Germ King but Germ King called for the many germs scattered around the world to come and fuse with him, and they did so by flying around the world in seconds.

Scattered. You can make various stories about anything. I personally would love a slow rise of Tier 9s and 10s to something higher, maybe in a similar vein to Supernatural's supernatural beings. Without the brother armor.

Meanwhile an Arthurian Story would definitely be more scattered in its portrayal

I actually once made a character 1-A by accident. I was trying to make him High 1-B, but I misused the word "transcends", and ended up making it a 1-A statement by accident.

Outside of that, most of the stuff I write is Tier 8, with the ocasional Tier 4 or 3. I once made a story that had 1-B weapons just because.

Long before joining this wiki, I think I made a verse with a 1-A prep feat somewhere but I lost it and forgot most of the story.

Most would be planetary though.

Whatever I feel like and whatever ends up being consistent.

Honestly this is just the real answer here.

In my series Jack of All Trades, I haven't quite locked down the tiering for every generation besides the main one, with the beginning having 5-A ratings and FTL speeds and bumping a little higher as they go into High 5-A and MFTL.

9-A starting protag. 6-C mid-way, then 2-A for endgame. Mostly because the protag is "an irl human enters a fictional verse" type deal, and I'm using the verse's power levels for powerscaling him.

Finally 1-A / High 1-A Top Tiers with a 0 God Tier (not part of the official verse, they are fanmade parts) Why? Because if a character isn't tier 0 they just don't feel like a "true" god. Same logic for 1-A: After witnessing the description of 1-A, it just doesn't feel right calling dimensional things "beyond comprehension" or "eldritch", because they aren't truley so. Perhaps at their level, yes, not so much to a 1-A. 1-A has warped my standards for what I consider unimaginable or eldritch.

I agree with Ryu on the character type thing. If they character doesn't involve itself with your protagonists it can be as brokeback OP as you want, since it won't impact that story directly.

Personally I think extremely powerful characters landing in Tier 6 with God tiers landing in Tier 5 is reasonable, especially if them accidentally destroying the planet is a significant worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back