• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

How would you kill Azathoth from Cthulhu Mythos?

You actually can by just making up a character and saying they're infinitely transcendent of him or something

Yeah, I just wanted to make a quick joke.

To be blunt, I don't actually know if you can. Once you reach around the tier 1-A to 0 level, the characters are so transcendent over everything that abilities are practically pointless and all that really matters is AP. And while it is ludicrously complicated to list comparisons between tier 0 characters, as far as I'm aware Azathoth has the highest AP of any Tier 0 in fiction.

The only real way to beat them in that case would be to create a character with even higher AP than Azathoth.

Uradelbauer said:
Azathoth has the highest AP of any omnipotent? What do you mean? How does that happe
Omnipotence isn't a thing on the wiki. We objectively measure statistics by their feats, proper statements or something logically equivalent. Azathoth as of current has the greatest level of transcendence of any Tier 0 over the largest cosmology on the wiki, only being rivaled or even matched by The Creator from Umineko and that cosmology.

Omnipotence isn't a thing in the tiering system. Tier 0's are boundless via existing in realities above even High 1-A constructs (so to speak). This doesn't mean they are omnipotent, and it also doesn't mean that they are all equal.

Uradelbauer said:
There's a degree of transcendence, rather than actual equal omnipotence?
Yes. Granted, once the revisions for these verses are complete, they'll be far less Tier 0s here. Hell, TOAA already got the downgrade hammer.

Is there an example of a low tier Tier 0 character to compare it to Azathoth? I think there used to be more characters considered Tier 0 here.

Uradelbauer said:
Is there an example of a low tier Tier 0 character to compare it to Azathoth? I think there used to be more characters considered Tier 0 here.
Do you mean before the revisions? The Overvoid, Kami Tenchi and TOAA were Tier 0 and they're absolute fodder compared to him (Overvoid would fare slightly better than the other two).

If you mean after then that's extremely difficult. I can say for certain that Yog-Sothoth is inferior to Azathoth and the former is already Tier 0 so use that to make comparisons.

If I remember correctly (though don't quote me on this, my knowledge of the Cthulhu Mythos is weak on some points) Yog-Sothoth is considered to be above everything else in the Cthulhu Mythos pretty much to the same extent as Azathoth, but still being a bit weaker than Azathoth. So they'd be an example of a slightly weaker tier 0.

Is there a clear, fine set line between Outerverse level and Tier 0 apart from obviously that Tier 0 can't be affected ever? Hope I'm not making this like some weird interview, but it piqued my interest

Uradelbauer said:
Is there a clear, fine set line between Outerverse level and Tier 0 apart from obviously that Tier 0 can't be affected ever? Hope I'm not making this like some weird interview, but it piqued my interest
1-A is transcending infinite (countably or otherwise) levels of dimensional existence on a conceptual or existential level. 1-A+ is having infinite levels of transcendence over baseline 1-A. High 1-A is being completely above, beyond and external to all levels of metaphysical reality on any scale and being incomprehensible from that perspective. Tier 0 is being boundless to a High 1-A the way he is boundless to a 1-A.

I know that the Creator exists, and that they're like, around Azathoth's level. From what I do understand Azathoth should still probably be a bit higher though.

also there's no way I'd accept that a weeb murder mystery has the strongest character in all fiction reeeee

Eh, I'd say they're comparable if not outright equal.

I personally consider Creator to above Azzy by such an stupidly amount that's basically irrelevant, because the cosmologies of both verses sound identical, except Creator appears to have higher trascendence over Featherine than Azzy does over Yog.

To be quite honest with you all however.

VSBW's tiering system is pretty damn incomplete.

In actuality going by a more completed system, Azathoth and the other outer gods would be one tier away from the highest tier possible.

To be beyond beings like Azathoth who encompass shit such as absolute infinity and all these different things, you have to be completely detached from any system. Not just transcendent over it, but entirely detached to the point you don't participate in it. You exist independent of it.

Azathoth and Yog cannot reach this tier for they participate in the system.

Well, that's why they're called the blind "idiot" god.

That isn't used to refer to Azathoth as an idiot in the traditional sense. It comes from the original terminology for "idiot", which essentially means "someone who completely separates themselves from the whole" (it only later evolved into the less nuanced term that we know today).

So that part of Azathoth's title is literally stating that he is a non-participant in the system. He's not just another layer of transcendence in the Cthulhu Mythos, he's completely separated from the whole.

Back