• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

How can we debunk people who're using real life to limit fictional characters?

Like seriously, I saw people claiming that "no fictional character is light speed or more because in real life you have to time travel if you reach that level of speed. So unless your character can time travel because of his speed then he/she never reached the speed of light". And when you try to prove them wrong they're using some made up terms like "omniversal rule: all ficitonal universe respect real life rule". I think we should create apage about why real life should never limit fictions (just like the NLF for example).

Jeune fou said:
Like seriously, I saw people claiming that "no fictional character is light speed or more because in real life you have to time travel if you reach that level of speed. So unless your character can time travel because of his speed then he/she never reached the speed of light". And when you try to prove them wrong they're using some made up terms like "omniversal rule: all ficitonal universe respect real life rule". I think we should create apage about why real life should never limit fictions (just like the NLF for example).
Simple. Fiction isn't real life.

There you go, you just debunked any and all "Real Life" arguments.

^^^This. People who use this logic are plebs you'd see on Quora and Facebook that try to sound intelligent and make Real Life more impressive than it is, when the vast majority of fiction above Tier 8 would fodderize us with some prep time. Fiction doesn't follow our rules and even then, seeing an FTL feat being blatantly performed and saying "it can't happen" is the height of denial.

I remember all the ridiculous reaches like "real army would actually stomp x tier 6 fictional army because better tactics" and "well, my science says that these people can't be this strong because no biological matter can actually be this strong". It's just kind of shutting your eyes and acting like you don't see the feats that clearly break real world rules.

I remember this one quota answer that took a clip of a Ruby character that wasn't accelerating as fast as a human should while falling, and he extrapolated from that that the Rwby world's gravity is lower, and that the humans in it likely also have lower bone density and wouldn't be able to move around that freely in the real world.

Akreious said:
Jeune fou said:
Simple. Fiction isn't real life.
There you go, you just debunked any and all "Real Life" arguments.
If only it was that simple. Though even when you show some verses are not made to be limited by real life rules they still continue. IT's amazing how stubborn those people are

Jeune fou said:
Like everyone already said. Fiction isn't real life and as such doesn't have to be realistic.

As for the speed part, it's the same thing, but also due to barely any of the writers pay attention to special and general relativity, or to real-life physics in general

Ricsi-viragosi said:
Ah yes, beings whose power is specifically to ignore the laws of nature can't be tier 2 and infinite in speed, that goes against real world laws!
I share the same opinion as you and gilad hyperstar though I saw one of the most subborn person ever. That person claimed "characters who cannot time travel due to their speed are below the speed of light because if you're faster than the speed of light you automatically time travel IRL. Therefore dragon ball characters are all below light speed". I replied that it was false because each universe has it's own logic and this kind of logic couldn't be applied to universes that were not made to be realistic. He replied by saying "wrong there's something called omniversal rule and all characters who cannot time travel because of their speed are below the speed of light regardless of the universe they come from and even if some characters can cross universes in dragon ball they're not light speed because universes in dragon ball are compressed space time continuums that are massively smaller than real life universes". I replied by saying it was false because super dragon ball are 37 000 km (in term of diameter) which shows planets and stars have the same size than in our universe. I also said there are hundreads of billions of stars in the milky way in which goku lives just like the real life milky way. I also showed each universe had several galaxies.

His reply?

"Only universes with magic have characters that can go FTL because magic transcends real life rules and there's no magic in dragon ball".

I told him it was false not only because verses with magic are not the only ones that have FTL characters but also because there was magic in dragon ball (babidi, Dende, old kai, kibito, shenron the magical dragon etc ...)

His reply?

"No it doesn't count as magic: examples you used are summons or alchemy" (even if the word "alchemy" is never used in dragon ball ...)

"I told him it couldn't possibly show characters are below the speed of light because there's no correlation between that and speed."

his reply?

"Shenron's powers only work in his universe which shows it's limited magic and since it's limited they're below light speed"

The incarnation of idiocy ... And I really hope it was a troll because otherwise that's frightening if people think they're logical with that kind of "arguments" and that's really sad there are too many persons who're like that in the vs debate community

Gilad Hyperstar said:
I'm inclined to believe that guy is a troll since I don't believe that people can be this stupid
I hope so. Fun fact: He called me dumb because I don't understand science, so yeah that was most likely a troll who tried to anger me.

Rodri "Dante" said:
It's really sad people are using this even for verses that are not meant to be realistic.

Ah also off topic but false logic and bad argument remind me of a marvel fan boy I had the "pleasure" to meet in the comment section of a youtube video. He claimed Icema could solo all of DB (including dbs) because

"in avatar the last airbender, Katara can manipulate blood to control body but since his control over water his superior then he can easily make all of their brains explode and win" which is dumb for multiple reason and the most obvious one being that him and Katara are not even in the same verse at all.

That's really sad when in one hand you've got to deal with fallacious aguments of that kind destined to wank/downplay to a ridiculous extend.

And on the other hand you have to deal with man-childs (or actual 14 yo) who try to play the smart guys by using real life laws to downplay fiction.

Such is 95% of youtube comments and I should know by now to avoid this place.

Fortunately sites like vssbattle exist where we can debate serenely.

I love places like this wiki! I go onto YouTube to practice my knowledge in VS debate, then I get people who say Sonic is multiverse level in base form and that I downplay him. It's rediculous how many times I've been called biased for either character in a single matchup.

James Plays 4 Games said:
I love places like this wiki! I go onto YouTube to practice my knowledge in VS debate, then I get people who say Sonic is multiverse level in base form and that I downplay him. It's rediculous how many times I've been called biased for either character in a single matchup.
ikr. It's really absurd. Well Believe me I met all kind of imbeciles who als tried to play the wise guy, ah also as pitiful as the "no character can be light speed level because bla bla bla" could sound apparently some people agreed with him in the comment seciton and called me a kirby downplayer/Goku wanker (it was on a vid about kid buu and kirby and fun fact: I didn't even talk about Kirby except to say he was downplayed by screwattacks just like majin buu)

Just what the hell is wrong with those people? Frankly I believe we should do a thread to talk about absolute nonsense people can throw at us (and regardless of the verse/character they support/hate and without any bias toward the community they come from), because my god some comments are legendary in term of idiocy.

It's Youtube. You'll see stuff like Giorno inconning The Chousi because RtZ. I try to stayy away from that shit-show unless I'm bored and looking for entertainment. Better to just let them be.

Apex PredatorX said:
Fiction has no Real Life rules.
Yeah that's also waht I believe but people are so stubborn. Apparently a basic concept like "the author can do whatever he wants with his characters regardless of real life physics" is too hard to understand for some persons.

Depends of the verse.

Sci-Fie franchises rely a lot of real life science to make for the abilities of their characters and even have withs plots that are metaphor to real life science theories.

Others don't really care, or the authors a full grasp of how certain things work.

As always, case by case.

Back