• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
So... How big is the AP diference?

While It, I will say my opinion in this fight without concedering AP

Most of the winter wolfs atacks are almost useless against the hounds cold resistence, so the wolfs will not only do a lot less damage sinse bassically all their atacks have extra vold damage, they also will take extra damage to all the hound atacks thanks to their fire manipulation Bite

The only real advantage the winter wolfs have here are Inteligence, maybe bigger size and the infinit amout of resistences saving trows can give, with I will choose to ignore here

So, the wolfs have in pair with humans inteligence, the problem for them is, survivors in Don't starve also have human level of inteligence, and for earlier game, hounda are some of the worst to deal monsters, so This isn't really helping them

I would say the hounds win by numbers, elemental and power advantage, also evry time a fire hound dies It set's things onde fire if I remenber correctly, so if a wolf manages to kill a hound It will burn in fire

fire manipulation Bite
Red Hounds do not inflict burning with their bites
So... How big is the AP diference?
Both are around 0,001 tons so almost inexistent
so if a wolf manages to kill a hound It will burn in fire
The only real advantage the winter wolfs have here are Inteligence
If they are decently intelligent, they would at least know to use hit and run tactics once they get hit by the fire explosion. It's why I put 4 Hounds

Seens like truth (just watched a hounds tutorial), well, the rest still valid, and the winter wolfs only usefull atack method here woukd be bitting, kinda dificult run from a fire explosion whem It's inside your mouth
I mean, they can also tackle or use breath attacks

Imma vote wolves. They have ranged attacks. You gave more hounds than wolves for some reason, not sure why, but the hounds literally just run in a straight line and try to bite the closest target so the wolves can just kite them while others use ranged attacks until they win.
If this isn't viable for some reason then the hounds win because there's more of them and they explode when they die. Only ranged seems viable as a win-con. The hounds resist ice, they aren't immune. There's no particular reason for any of the wolves to be hit with their higher int and ranged attacks.
Not sure why people are acting like the breath isn't relevant. Fire hounds just get frozen for ice for less time in DS. They still get effected by ice rod. They have 0 resistance to ice damage, because ice rod doesn't do damage to begin with. They have resistance specfically to being frozen, not being killed by attacks like this.

Last edited:
You gave more hounds than wolves for some reason
Because as you said, wolves are intelligent
but the hounds literally just run in a straight line and try to bite the closest target so the wolves can just kite them
Believe it or not, running in a straight line paired with large numbers makes kiting hounds impossible due to their fast starting attack, leading to hounds in the back covering for their friend in front
The hounds resist ice, they aren't immune
It does mean their main ranged attack is heavily weakened

Kiting the hounds is literally how you beat them in DS with comparably fast characters to the hounds and its completely trival to do so because they're stupid.
And see my edit, it does not. Hounds have absolutely 0 resistance to the damage taken from ice attacks. They just take more to freeze. That's it. Its resistance to being frozen, not being harmed.
Hounds don't move when they attack, they stop then bite. Consistently. They are, like most DS enemies, specifically designed to be trivial to kite.

Last edited:
Its applicable for groups. Hounds run at you. Stop. Bite. That's the only method of attack they have. They're complete trivial to kite in groups large groups for individuals, and in this they're fighting a group nearly as large as their own that has infinite use ranged attacks.

That's typically applicable for individual hounds. A swarm is a different story

I'm not sure that's how it works
It is. In DS. They just take 4 hits from ice staff to be frozen. That's the only difference between them and a regular hound in terms of ice resistance. If the power on this site means something else and they're tagged with it, it just means they need a CRT to remove that or change it to whatever 'resistance only to being frozen' would actually be.
Because saying they take less damage from ice attacks is just plainly false.

Because saying they take less damage from ice attacks is just plainly false.
I mean if you think about it, most damage from ice manip is from the frostbite that sets in, correct? And yet everyone from The Constant can function normally after being frozen without taking said damage. It's why all survivors have ice manip resistance in their physiology

We take the abilities as they are, then catalog them, then fight with them, don't we? We don't just make up stuff like this.
In DS the staff just freezes you. It takes 4 times the baseline to work on the hounds. That's their resistance. To being frozen by a weapon that does no damage. I don't remember any other source of ice damage in DS to see if fire hounds actually resist ice damage. Ice Flingos also hit with ice, but they also just freeze. And I believe those 1 shot freeze all mobs hit, including hounds, so even then its not like hounds have consistently high resistance to being frozen to begin with.
Trying to equate this to the hounds taking less damage from ice is just trying to make up resistances they don't have.

Trying to equate this to the hounds taking less damage from ice is just trying to make up resistances they don't have.
Technically they take no damage, from being frozen solid

It kinda works both ways, either this is game mechanics resulting in ice staff dealing no damage or everyone gets resistance to the thing that makes ice manip damaging. Because I'm pretty sure being frozen solid hurts

Or its a magical weapon that just freezes and makes no sense because its dont starve.
Wonder if its worth making a crt for this

Last edited:
Back