• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Hotu thanos is not multiversal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Hotu only allowed thanos to absorb one universe.

And its not canon as confirmed by one of marvels writers

Marvel's executive editor Tom Brevoort has stated that "Marvel Universe: The End" (including the "Heart Of The Universe") is in no way a part of official Marvel continuity.

You all argue that he is multiversal because he absorbed The living tribunal.

But you do know the Living Tribunal has manifestation bodies.

So all thanos did was just absorb an M body of The living tribunal not the real living tribunal.

Well, it was stated by the editor in charge of Marvel's continuity issues that the story is not a part of said continuity, but I technically agree with you that it seems safer to remove the HOTU statistics from Thanos's page.

I don't know antvasima.

But since only one universe was absorbed

And considering that the abstracts have m bodies.

Thanos might be just Universe level with Hotu.

He would have just absorbed weaker versions of the abstracts.

Plus if its non canon. Then it technically does not count

1. It is definitely canon, the HOTU is mentioned several times in later Thanos storylines and also in guidebooks. Tom Brevoort is honestly an idiot and his word should be ignored.

2. The HOTU gave Thanos enough power to stop the Living Tribunal.

First of all that living tribunal was just a manifestation body of the real living tribunal.

So thanos did not absorb the real Living Tribunal.

He only absorbed a weak manifestation body

How can you be sure it was the true Living Tribunal and not a manifestation?

Can you prove the later? Nothing about the story indicates it's a manifestation and when TLT manifests they make it clear. Most of his appearances are his real form.

Tom Brevoort's statements are not accurate much less reliable, yes. He doesn't deserve to be used in a debate context. And WoG is super low as is.

Was it not stated that the heart of the universe brought Tanos to where only The-One-Above-All could best him? Or is that headcannon on the page's part?

Yes, they actually state that Thanos had, in effect, become The One Above All, as he wielded a portion of his power, and only TOAA himself was above him.

Well, I suppose that the page should stay as it is then.

I technically also dislike and find Tom Brevoort untrustworthy. He has repeatedly been extremely rude to me in the past just because I had a polite fact-based different viewpoint. However, he is in charge of Marvel's continuity issues, so I suppose that is worth something at least.

It clearly is canon unless you mean to imply that literally most every Thanos Story Arc afterwards isn't canon. The 2003 Thanos miniseries and all the Infinity Stories following mention it.

this is getting a little out of hand.

But I feel like a marvel editor has one of the final words when it comes to continuity.

Calling a editor an idiot makes me want to slap my face.

Actually, while he may only absorb 1 Universe (Steelmanning your premise)

The One Above All says this:

"Events transpiring in within the Reality you oversee my Tribunal, threaten the stability of all the Infinite Kingdoms"

This is all in reference to Thanos:

Above_All_Others.png

That's a different story, but Jim Starlin was the writer of both of them.

Anyway, one problem with Starlin is that he explicitly thinks that there is one separate Living Tribunal for every universe, and that each of his stories only affects one such continuum. However, we likely have to try to ignore this given that it strongly contradicts other writers.

Pokemonfan807 said:
this is getting a little out of hand.
But I feel like a marvel editor has one of the final words when it comes to continuity.

Calling a editor an idiot makes me want to slap my face.
I know the feeling, and that's because Matthew isn't able to articulate what he means.

What he's trying to say is it's Death of the Author:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DeathOfTheAuthor

For a TL;DR: It's basically that mine and your opinion on someone's works is equal to the Authors. And things the Author says isn't absolute and should be shown within his/her works.

This was an editor though. The author in question did reference the work in other stories.

Naturally, an Editor, Author, Co-Author etc. all come under Death of the Author.

It's basically the Appeal to Authority Fallacy but for fictional works.

I agree with Matt tbh, but Ant's evaluation about Starlin considering Living Tribunal having m-bodies in different dimensions is also correct

That said, it is equally true that Thanos was supposed to have became second to none other than One Above All in that story

Starlin doesn't use M-Bodies. It has been stated outright in his later stories that he thinks that there is a separate Tribunal for every universe, and in the HOTU story/"Marvel: The End", Thanos was only shown to absorb a single universe.

When I say M-Body I am referring to their Universal avatars only (maybe I should've clarified)

Also I know that he only absorbed the earth 616 reality only, never disputed that so I don't know why you are mentioning it

I mean that Starlin doesn't think that the Tribunal has avatars either. He thinks that there is an entirely separate version of each cosmic entity in every universe, including the Tribunal, with the exception of Above All Others.

Isn't that just stating since the arent tethered to time or dimesions, they in exist in all of reality, simutainously.

Don't some characters do that?

No in the story leading up to a version of Adam Warlock becoming the new Living Tribunal, it was stated that there were entirely separate versions of all cosmic entities, including the Tribunal, in all of them, and that this version of Warlock had absorbed all of the ones in his universe, which is what made him so powerful.

Currently, yes. I am just explaining that it is hard to evaluate statistics when the writers contradict each others so much.

Yes, the only question mark is that Jim Starlin uses very different standards from other writers.

No in the story leading up to a version of Adam Warlock becoming the new Living Tribunal, it was stated that there were entirely separate versions of all cosmic entities, including the Tribunal, in all of them, and that this version of Warlock had absorbed all of the ones in his universe, which is what made him so powerful.
seperated tribunal? Interesting. What Comics does it come from?
THE INFINITY REVELATION?

One of Jim Starlin's "Infinity" stories from recent years. I do not remember the exact title.

Anyway, Starlin's own non-canon cosmology seems to operate on that there is a separate Living Tribunal in every universe, and that only the Above-All-Others is multiversal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back