• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Grasshopper Manufacture/Suda51/No More Heroes/Kill The Past General Discussion Thread

Highlight Text -> More options (The one closer to the left, looks like three vertical dots) -> Inline Spoiler (The last one from the left, looks like a mask). Alternatively, More options (The rightmost option of the left bar, also looks like three vertical dots) ->Spoiler (Looks like a crossed-over eye)

I don’t really read reviews for game, but gamspot gave the game a 4.

Keep in mine they gave Balan Wonderworld a 5 :/
That's the issues with this kinda sites, the reviews are made by various people and they all have their own standards- for example I think a 5/10 rating means passable while others might think 5/10 means shit. 4/10 is pretty harsh no matter what tho

I assume Travis and co can also fight Fu without the mech, in addition to Ohma. All of the bosses should be stronger than the space aliens since they comprise the 10 strongest beings in the galaxy. Shinobu at least draws blood from Fu at the games start, though it has little effect

I assume Travis and co can also fight Fu without the mech, in addition to Ohma. All of the bosses should be stronger than the space aliens since they comprise the 10 strongest beings in the galaxy. Shinobu at least draws blood from Fu at the games start, though it has little effect. The suit might not be a -massive- stat upgrade? With it being used vs the planet-destroying aliens because Travis by himself can't really breathe in space, or vs Mr Blackhole's last form for mobility? As to not break scaling overly much. Admittedly I've not finished the game and the mech could be what beats Fu. Kinda just hoping it's an "everyone chips in to help beat the big bad" type of deal but that's an aside.

I don't see the mech as being a big jump in power so much as giving him flight and extra mobility. At least so far. He was beating Mr. Blackhole handily and then when the latter dragged Travis into his internal universe the purpose seemed to be to hide from Travis. When Travis found Mr Blackhole the latter was trying to fly away so Travis summoned his mech form to catch up.

Not to mention he beat Gold Joe easily without the mech and Gold Joe > Mr. Blackhole.

I don't see the mech as being a big jump in power so much as giving him flight and extra mobility. At least so far. He was beating Mr. Blackhole handily and then when the latter dragged Travis into his internal universe the purpose seemed to be to hide from Travis. When Travis found Mr Blackhole the latter was trying to fly away so Travis summoned his mech form to catch up.

Not to mention he beat Gold Joe easily without the mech and Gold Joe > Mr. Blackhole.
Yeah, it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense if the mech was required for Rank 10 but not 9, 8, etc etc. Mr Blackhole also claims Fu could defeat all of the other ranking members in a few seconds, so. Say Mr Blackhole's 3-C due to being comprised of billions of stars (honestly the universe quote seems like hyperbole so I'm unsure if the billions of stars comments from Travis are reliable. At the least, it should be 4-A due to the dimension having a starry sky? Honestly even typing 4-A NMH is hilarious) then Travis and the others getting stomped by Fu is still pretty consistent. I guess the supporting casts tier would depend if they help during any boss. Shinobu and Bad Girl usually scale to Travis but y'know,

Yeah, it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense if the mech was required for Rank 10 but not 9, 8, etc etc. Mr Blackhole also claims Fu could defeat all of the other ranking members in a few seconds, so. Say Mr Blackhole's 3-C due to being comprised of billions of stars (honestly the universe quote seems like hyperbole so I'm unsure if the billions of stars comments from Travis are reliable. At the least, it should be 4-A due to the dimension having a starry sky? Honestly even typing 4-A NMH is hilarious) then Travis and the others getting stomped by Fu is still pretty consistent. I guess the supporting casts tier would depend if they help during any boss. Shinobu and Bad Girl usually scale to Travis but y'know,
With Suda51 saying he intended the ranked superheroes to be Thanos level villains I have no reason to believe it was hyperbole. As far as I'm concerned it's a 3A feat, and Travis saying 'billions' of stars was just him not knowing the actual number so he just threw out a low ball number off the cuff that he thought sounded high enough.

With Suda51 saying he intended the ranked superheroes to be Thanos level villains I have no reason to believe it was hyperbole. As far as I'm concerned it's a 3A feat, and Travis saying 'billions' of stars was just him not knowing the actual number so he just threw out a low ball number off the cuff that he thought sounded high enough.
That's fair. 3-A NMH would be cool. My main concern would be the higher the Blackhole feat is the easier it'd be for it to be called an outlier since most of the non-bosses seem to be planetary. I suppose you could power scale and just claim everyone who's supposedly stronger than Mr Blackhole is also 3-A... So all bosses and most of Travis' team except Jeane and Bishop. I suppose it'd be down to if the 3-C / 3-A / Whatever feat is considered too non-specific or as an outlier. I think it being from the first boss helps give the feat some consistency. You do fodderize pretty much all of the standard enemies with little effort too, what with the first enemies Travis and the girls fight later showing up as mini-bosses when Travis is a much higher rank.

Last edited:
:/

that probably should've been spoilered also what the ****

anyway if the 3-A stuff is a creation feat y'all better make sure there's iron-solid evidence for it scaling to physicals or i will nitpick the heck out of it

Last edited:
Alright, I decided to look into it, and I don't see how it scales to AP. I mean it's just a pocket dimension inside of him, he doesn't create it mid-fight and we don't even see it collapse so there isn't really any evidence for scaling to AP. Could be a MFTL+ travel speed feat for Blackhole tho.

Alright, I decided to look into it, and I don't see how it scales to AP. I mean it's just a pocket dimension inside of him, he doesn't create it mid-fight and we don't even see it collapse so there isn't really any evidence for scaling to AP. Could be a MFTL+ travel speed feat for Blackhole tho.
NOOOOOO ARMOR MY 3-A NMH MATCHES AHHHHHHHHHHH

I don't see how being casually powerful enough to contain universe inside you doesn't qualify as an AP feat.
And he seemingly does create it midfight since Travis finds himself in it right after he landed what he thought was the final blow. And then there is SUDA's given intent on the galactic ranked aliens to all be Thanos level villains.

I don't see how being casually powerful enough to contain universe inside you doesn't qualify as an AP feat.
And he seemingly does create it midfight since Travis finds himself in it right after he landed what he thought was the final blow. And then there is SUDA's given intent on the galactic ranked aliens to all be Thanos level villains.
It's a pocket dimension, I think the implication is that it was always there. And since it's a pocket dimension, containing it isn't inherently a showing of power. It could be if it was considered to be such, but it ain't. As for Thanos-level, I mean I don't really think it can mean anything on its own and even if it did we don't do cross-verse scaling, besides Thanos is 6-C so it doesn't really work anyway.

Yeah, the only thing I can remotely think of is that if his body supposedly holds billions of stars inside of it then would he have durability or stats proportional to that? I have absolutely no idea if it works like that so I'm in no position to argue either way. I think one of the official websites claims he uses black holes but it doesn't comment as to if he creates the space inside of them. If the entire dimension collapsed when he was beaten then that'd be decent evidence but as far as we see it doesn't.

Yeah, the only thing I can remotely think of is that if his body supposedly holds billions of stars inside of it then would he have durability or stats proportional to that? I have absolutely no idea if it works like that so I'm in no position to argue either way. I think one of the official websites claims he uses black holes but it doesn't comment as to if he creates the space inside of them. If the entire dimension collapsed when he was beaten then that'd be decent evidence but as far as we see it doesn't.
spoilers

Eh, it's still a pocket dimension so it's not like he's physically in contact with them, it's a whole thing, but I wouldn't consider it a feat as is. Black holes too, we've got pretty strict standards for them- I haven't seen them but I'd be surprised if they were eligible.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're called black holes because it sounds cool. There's an old Word of God statement from an interview regarding the first game which claims a boss attacks using a magnitude 10 earthquake for example. The series isn't above odd hyperbole. Hey if anyone understands Japanese they could prod Suda on Twitter or something and ask if Blackhole created, or maintained, the pocket dimension. Otherwise, it's fairly ill-defined

Magnitude 20 actually lmao, that would destroy the planet. But nah asking for details like that is kinda against the rules- And I wouldn't wanna bother the guy anyway, he's already got 10 people on every tweet asking him if he can make a Lollipop Chainsaw sequel or put Travis in Smash

I was about to say that a magnitude 20 quake sounds impossible since the seismic scale is logarithmic etc but then I remembered literally everything else in the entire series. Yeah, that old earthquake quote's slightly silly. Like that'd be 5-A or something nuts.

6.3095734e+34 Joules, it is indeed 5-A. Well, it's really just Suda or whoever wrote that piece of text not understanding how magnitudes work.

5-A's entirely reasonable for NMH1 clearly, but yeah thanks for your input about the other supposed feat. Sorry again for missing that spoiler tag.

eh, no problem, i think i'm the only mostly unspoiled person in this thread and it's probably better that i checked it anyway lol

I used to hear rumblings that there's a feat in TSA that could be interpreted as uni, but it's probably not true. But if that were the case, than Black Hole containing a pocket universe in him wouldn't be an outlier either. Without spoiling anything, a mid game ranked battle kind of messes up scaling imo.

I used to hear rumblings that there's a feat in TSA that could be interpreted as uni, but it's probably not true. But if that were the case, than Black Hole containing a pocket universe in him wouldn't be an outlier either. Without spoiling anything, a mid game ranked battle kind of messes up scaling imo.
Are you talking about the Velvet chair girl boss fight? If so then Ohma powers could just be haxs

The TSA feat is a misinterpretation, it's actually Dimensional Travel, but you'd have to have played Shadows of the Damned to know that and most people haven't so it's an understandable mistake

Scanned through something

No More Heroes 3 Full Game Movie (All Cutscenes)
No More Heroes 3 - All Bosses and Ending

Looks like those may just be very small pocket dimensions that pretends to be big with cosmetic projections.

Mr Blackhole is not creating black holes. The Black Hole Prison that Fu was thrown into may not even be made with real black hole.

Oh Ohma's mouth gastral beam is hax with corrosion.

The dimension feat... I faced similar things from other franchises. Definitely not creating real pocket dimensions.

Fu's plant surface wiping statement can be true, just being done over time so no High 6-A Fu. Oh he has "vectors" too and apparently so does Damon.

Freezing an ocean from over the horizon allowing a giant to stand on is one feat to calculate... Possibly scale to Fu's maximum durability. Poor dad he cannot talk properly.

Oh Travis' sword has regeneration negation now seeing how he cuts Damon off and how Damon disintegrates despite having similar powers with Fu by that point.

Out of Topic Question: Is the real Henry Cooldown still alive allying with another group of aliens?

Scanned through something

No More Heroes 3 Full Game Movie (All Cutscenes)
No More Heroes 3 - All Bosses and Ending

Looks like those may just be very small pocket dimensions that pretends to be big with cosmetic projections.

Mr Blackhole is not creating black holes. The Black Hole Prison that Fu was thrown into may not even be made with real black hole.

Oh Ohma's mouth gastral beam is hax with corrosion.

The dimension feat... I faced similar things from other franchises. Definitely not creating real pocket dimensions.

Fu's plant surface wiping statement can be true, just being done over time so no High 6-A Fu. Oh he has "vectors" too and apparently so does Damon.

Freezing an ocean from over the horizon allowing a giant to stand on is one feat to calculate... Possibly scale to Fu's maximum durability. Poor dad he cannot talk properly.

Oh Travis' sword has regeneration negation now seeing how he cuts Damon off and how Damon disintegrates despite having similar powers with Fu by that point.

Out of Topic Question: Is the real Henry Cooldown still alive allying with another group of aliens?
The planet destroying statements are more 5-B as there multiple that just say planet destruction

Finally got my hands on the game, does anyone mind if I share my thoughts here as I play it? Not necessarily about battleboarding, just generic thoughts and opinions

Go ahead. Just make sure to mention any additional "hints" towards the Suda51verse. I feel like we should merge these Verse pages at some point...
I am actually gonna do that, I was waiting for NMH3 to drop just to make sure there isn't anything contradicting it, but there's a ton of evidence including a couple of interviews where Suda basically confirms it, so unless NMH3 has some strong stuff against it, it's gonna happen.

Anyway.

Man, I really like the prologue to this game. Right now I've stopped after FU kills Badman and rips off Shinobu's arms. My thoughts from the top:

The little game you play at the start is a very cute touch, I loved seeing how Travis' life is reflected in the games he played in TSA, and seeing that carried over was really nice. Plus, it's a nice hook to look forward to. Maybe I could make a profile for the character in the game- it would be pretty barebones but it'd be funny.

The "Goddamn Superhero" animation is great, it's not new to the game since it was a trailer but it bears repeating, it's great how it builds up this cute little relationship between a kid and an E.T. style cute lil' alien, then 20 years later that guy comes back and he's gone from E.T. to Boros- the animation is great too. Damn, that kinda makes me hope we can have FU vs Boros, it's a perfect thematic fit.

Bad Girl and Shinobu fighting those aliens could help for scaling, I guess. Also, Travis' suit is definitely a powerup, the tutorials treat it as such and it does way more damage than his normal attacks. He seems to have lost access to his Dark Side Mode abilities but now that he can activate the roulette without killing the enemy, that's probably gonna be fine to apply to the older games retroactively. Probably.

One of the tutorials mentions the Perfect Dodge slowing down time- Right now we're treating it as a speed amp (there wasn't really any evidence one way or the other), so that'll have to be changed.

The Mr. Blackhole cutscenes are really good- Travis has gone a long way from the manchild who enjoyed the thrill of a fight no matter how pointless it was, now he straight-up tries to avoid fighting when possible. Of course, it isn't here, and considering what happens later, I think it's understandable he might not feel like being democratic to those aliens.

Sylvia is once again a complete wild card, I'd like to theorize she's on Travis' side and just can't show it but you can never know with her.

Man, I love FU. No More Heroes 1 purposefully went out of its way to make its main villain (Jeane, not Henry) anti-climactic and unsatisfying, No More Heroes 2 had a shitty final boss and Travis Strikes Again kept things mysterious, so it's great to see a threatening villain with enough charisma to be as interesting as Travis. Honestly this is one of the very first times I've seen Suda51 actually try a straight-forward villain- The Silver Case games are way too roundabout and complex to have one (this is praise), Killer7 has one but it's played in an odd, surreal manner, so I guess that leaves Fleming from Shadows of the Damned, but the story behind that game's kind of a mess, so idk if I'd count it.

Anyway, FU's great. I think I'm sensing some parallels between him and the first No More Heroes' Travis- both are immature despite their great power, with the difference that even at his worst, Travis still had a code of honor, which FU completely lacks. Badman's death hurt, I was hoping for Bad Girl to jump in and stop him but I guess she couldn't have helped much anyway. I wish he'd gotten some more dialogue, I loved him in TSA and while I'm fine with his death, I'd have appreciated a bit more screentime first.

Travis recovered after that wound which might be further evidence of his Regen, which is nice since that's an ability I've always been slightly iffy on- I mean the feat is very straightforward, it's just kinda weird to imagine Travis with regen.

That's all I've got, loving the game so far.

The "Fullface" alien is said to draw his blade at the speed of light, which is nice, lil' upgrade from Sub-Rel+

Resuming

I'm definitely vibing with the combat, it's no DMC or anything crazy deep like that but it's a huge step up from previous NMH games (and I don't dislike NMH1's combat at all), and the enemies are a lot more fun too- lovely monster designs as well.

Overworld is way better too, generally I still prefer linear games but this is fairly well made and has plenty of stuff to do, unlike the first game.

I don't love how you can't see the heads cut off or the enemies get bisected like you could in the older games, the blood effects obscure that now.

Travis recommending anime to a mourning Bad Girl is really funny to me and I wish it wasn't. I mean it's heartwarming and all in context but it's so funny to think of him just being that kind of annoying anime fan

Anyway, seeing Travis genuinely worried for Shinobu is very nice, since she's the closest thing he has to a friend when you think about it. Well, her and Badman : (((

Bishop's store has an ad for The Vanishing, a DLC campaign he wrote for a Fire Pro Wrestling game. Actually, now that I'm looking around there's artwork from the Silver Case games plastered all over the store, alongside a picture I don't recognize and Travis' shirt from the first game. Very cute.

Jeane has apparently ****** every cat in the neighbourhood, which is impressive considering he's 68 in cat years.

"These little balls... they kinda grow on you."

I loved the cutscene with Gold Joe and FU, seeing villains interact casually like that is something I love, hope it's kept up. Gonna fight GJ tomorrow.

Him even trying to comfort her is honestly a pretty cool character moment, even if both of them are so emotionally stunted that they can't really -do- much in that situation. in 3 years Travis went from still considering her to be an insane monster, to actively trying to help her mourne... Okay, he's bad at it but still. He didn't have to visit her after seeing Shinobu. Plus when he reaches out to her and pauses, realising she's basically catatonic, he still apologizes despite not knowing if she can even hear him. Despite her being catatonic he can still visit her daily. I hope she goes on the weird movie podcast-like-thing with Bishop when(if?) she recovers. It'd be nice to see if she reciprocates any of this. Suda characters are such goobers but they have some good character moments honestly.

Just letting y’all know that I’m gonna write my thoughts as well, but also bare minimum FTL NMH. FU blitzed Travis so fast that the man didn’t even notice.

Based on the bike summoning animation and how Travis and his bike disappear when activating fast travel, should Travis have some form of teleportation while on his bike?

I couldn't control myself, so I decided to watch the boss fights 'n' stuff. The gameplay seems a lot better than the previous games, that's for sure, but now I'm wondering if Travis will still have his weird joycon things if the game gets ported to other consoles or will they place those flashy and tiny gaming keyboards on his wrist if the game gets ported to PC.

Based on the bike summoning animation and how Travis and his bike disappear when activating fast travel, should Travis have some form of teleportation while on his bike?
He already has some limited teleportation with the Death Glove since it can do that in TSA, but yeah
I couldn't control myself, so I decided to watch the boss fights 'n' stuff. The gameplay seems a lot better than the previous games, that's for sure, but now I'm wondering if Travis will still have his weird joycon things if the game gets ported to other consoles or will they place those flashy and tiny gaming keyboards on his wrist if the game gets ported to PC.
I think the death gloves look the same in the PC version of TSA? Not 100% sure but I think so.

Back