• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Grasshopper Manufacture/Suda51/No More Heroes/Kill The Past General Discussion Thread

Jasonsith

VS Battles
Calculation Group
Translation Helper
As topic: General discussion thread for games developed by Grasshopper Manufacture/Suda51.

This covers the various games under the Kill The Past umbrella but is not limited to them:

Discuss anything related to those games here. And ob serve any other rules relevant. And... start the game!

Last edited by a moderator:
Travis Strikes Again is a side game in name only. It's probably more important than NMH2.

Also, I'd appreciate if you turned this into a generic Grasshopper Manufacture/Suda51 channel, almost all of Suda's games take place in the sane universe and I am planning to make a thread about that after NMH3 comes out. Maybe keep NMH in the title though, just to make sure people know what it is.

Also, I'd appreciate if you turned this into a generic Grasshopper Manufacture/Suda51 channel, almost all of Suda's games take place in the sane universe and I am planning to make a thread about that after NMH3 comes out. Maybe keep NMH in the title though, just to make sure people know what it is.
Done so.

(Holy with CG co-production by animation studios Shirogumi and Kamikaze Douga... That Kamikaze studio that also made Pop Team Epic and Batman Ninja...)

I have a feeling NMH3 can jump the verse to crazier levels than Borderlands 3 can over BL1 & BL2.
Casual planet busting, being caught for a trial then thrown into a "black hole prison", escaping/released with some "friends"... Kabooming a coast with a beam sweep and turning everyone into gooey aliens is some disgusting hax as well.
Will see after the game comes out.

I'm definitely expecting at least tier 6 for No More Heroes 3, although I don't think the planet busting statements are usable as they are. Also, Travis seems to have some Precognition, every time an enemy is about to attack him he has a flash appear by his head, which is a reference to some Gundam precognition ability.

We're absolutely going to get some crazy feats in the game, atleast according to the crazy teaser trailers.
I wanted to see how good the PC port for the first game was, and... it just keeps crashing on me, so that was a waste of time.

Ouch, that sucks to hear. Killer7's remaster was really good, shame it isn't the case for NMH.

All of them, actually.

The Silver Case: The 25th Ward directly foreshadows some of the events in Travis Strikes Again, and plenty of characters from it and the previous TSC games appear in TSA. Not only that, but (NMH3 LEAKS WARNING) Midorikawa, a character from a small tie-in manga, is confirmed to appear in NMH3

Killer7 has an explicit statement of canonicity and blatantly appears in the intro of TSA, not only that but Badman is actually Shigeki Birkin from an old, unfinished Killer7 novel, Killer Is Dead (Unrelated from the game of the same name). Garcian also appears in Red, Green and Blue, a small tie-in manga set in the TSC universe

Let It Die has a newer model of the Death Drive Mk. II which appears in TSA, and even has beam katanas and the guns from killer7 as available weapons. Suda specifically mentioned the Death Drive 128 from LID as being related to the DDMkII

Shadows of the Damned is a videogame in TSA, that one's pretty obvious.

Killer Is Dead has Mondo appear in TSA, and is referenced in TSC:T25W in the same way that TSA is.

Kurayami Dance has Travis make a pretty big appearance. Kaido Wataru also appears in Red, Green and Blue

Twilight/Moonlight Syndrome have the prologue of TSC as a direct sequel- the games aren't translated so this is all second hand information, but many of the characters that appear in the prologue to The Silver Case, and are killed off there, giving the series an ending of sorts.

Fire Pro Wrestling World - The Vanishing (DLC written by Suda), out of all things, has the protagonist's friendly rival, Notorious, cameo in TSA, and he'll have a more important role in NMH3. The Vanishing is a direct sequel to Super Fire Pro Wrestling Special, the second game Suda ever wrote for.

Even Diabolical Pitch, the ******* Kinect game, has references to TSC and is referenced by TSA.

Lollipop Chainsaw is unfortunately the exception because of copyright issues, but even then she does make a cameo in KID (which came out before those issues) and is indirectly referenced in TSA.

New gameplay video dropped yesterday, seems like some danmaku focused over an area and a slowdown that basically freezes enemies, which is a death glove ability in TSA already but this confirms he can use it without needing to aim it manually with the keys in the death glove

Lollipop Chainsaw is unfortunately the exception because of copyright issues, but even then she does make a cameo in KID (which came out before those issues) and is indirectly referenced in TSA.
I had heard that Warner Bros was looking to sell off part of its gaming division after the recent Discovery merger, but apparently that was false. Oh well, hopefully Suda will be able to work something out. That article made it seem like he wants it to be a bigger game.

I'd love for them to manage to re-acquire it, but I've got my doubts, Grasshopper is actually a pretty small company.

It's probably gonna do well, it's being advertised a lot by Nintendo and stuff, which is almost a first for GHM. Obviously it's hard to tell just how well it'll do, but I'm hopeful.

I really hope NMH3 doesn’t turn out to be a Borderlands 3 situation where the main story is completely shit ( but this is Suda51 so it’s not very likely)

I'm a bit worried it'll play it safe by Suda standards, since it's an incredibly important game for his company's future. But even if that's the case while I'll be a bit disappointed I'm sure it's gonna be a fun story anyway.

I'll admit that the Gold Joe pre-boss cutscene they showed at Treehouse was kinda lame, I hope that's not a common trend since learning about the personalities of bosses I'm about to fight is something I love in NMH, especially NMH1 and TSA. But I did really like Travis in that cutscene, it's interesting to see him so analytical and intelligent for once.

I really hope NMH3 doesn’t turn out to be a Borderlands 3 situation where the main story is completely shit ( but this is Suda51 so it’s not very likely)
Well the scale is likely upgraded to absurdity... just hope the story itself is not bad like BL3.

I can't wait to make Fire Pro profiles because they'll be something stupid like "At least 9-C, likely 6-B" or something like that lmao

I can't wait to make Fire Pro profiles because they'll be something stupid like "At least 9-C, likely 6-B" or something like that lmao
Can you discuss what feats are on hand and make a calculation request?

The 6-B (or whatever tier it ends up at) would come from No More Heroes 3, but Fire Pro itself has no feats whatsoever, just a lot of fights between martial artists. Since I'm only gonna apply ratings that come from scaling outside of the series with a "possibly/likely", it's gonna lead to a result similar to that.

Just gonna share my findings real quick
  • Chapter 1 - Badman thinks he has no hopes against Dan or Curtis and senses the former coming (more evidence for bloodlust-sensing ESP). Also he straight-up thinks he has no chance and almost pisses himself, I don't think it's enough for fear manip since it's just Badman sensing his power/bloodlust but damn.
  • Chapter 2 - Badman kills hundreds of goons in a brawl without seeing it as much of a challenge, you love to see it
  • There's a fuckton of references to Batman how did this mans not fear a copyright strike- I can definitely see why they changed his name to Badman in TSA
  • That's all, only the first two chapters are translated, and the story was cut halfway through anyway with the last two chapters never being written. Fun stuff tho

Well Dan did scare the shit out of Badman, so At least 9-A, Likely 8-B or Low 7-C might be what I go with when the KTP CRT happens but yeah, it definitely is an outlier within the context of K7

unknown.png

Gonna see if the PC port for the 2nd game works.

hey, it's just a month 'till NMH3, this just reminded me. Also, the JP site got updated recently, we got some new characters (One's a katana dude in armor designed by the Borderlands character designed), screenshots of kimmy and destroyman and a new tower defense-ish mode.

I'm probably not gonna preorder but I'm 100% getting it day 1. Man, late 2021's gonna kill me, between this, SMTV and Metroid Dread

inb4 travis gets memory hax resistance because of the 3rd boss
Something tells me we are absolutely are gonna get tier 6 NMH from this.

Back