• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Giving a tier to the Twin Peaks god-tiers (And downgrading a Tier 9 too, I guess)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultima_Reality

?????????
VS Battles
Administrator
Yeah, I'm doing this again, before a certain someone's whining drives me insane. Anyone who mentions my old shames gets promptly sent to the gulag for the rest of forever.

I also notice that this is the third thread made by me involving this tier in a row. Gotta see if I can keep up the current score, I suppose.

If you want a summary of the cosmology and proposals, go to this post.

Introduction

As outlined in the previous thread, it's actually implied multiple times throughout Twin Peaks that there is in fact something above the god-tiers of the setting, which were the ones to be upgraded to High 1-A in it. At the time, I decided to not give these things a tier and put them at Unknown, mostly due to a combination of laziness + Lack of concrete information about them.

Yeah, so, I was wrong on the last part. and I did an update on my cosmology blog for the verse to account for the additional information I found. Of course, I wanted that blog to focus less on tiers and more on explanations to keep it independent from whatever rating was present on the profiles, so it's also filled with verse-specific philosophical blah blah that doesn't really matter that much for tiering, and thus, I'll obviously be filtering it out for this thread.

The Additions

Like I mentioned before, it's a pretty recurrent thing in the verse for spirits to reveal something beyond their "physical" forms by removing their own faces like masks: For example, the entity possessing Sarah Palmer tears off its own face to reveal a second layer behind it, presumably its abstract, invisible form, who was already shown to be able to reach places which are beyond its "physical" self, as seen when it breached into The Fireman's Home and manifested through his gramophone. That itself being a realm where its aforementioned physical form was seen as being just part of a movie.

JUDY's counterpart, Laura Palmer, also does the same thing as a spirit in the Lodge, this time to reveal a formless mass of light behind her face.

Likewise, it's shown that The Fireman also holds something behind his face, as he gives birth to Laura by projecting a stream of golden light directly from it. That in itself is obviously way too vague to be given any tier other than Unknown, but the books do provide some additional context that can lead us to something. Namely (For reference, the quote is from the tie-in book, The Secret History of Twin Peaks):

The word of the LAW is Thelema. Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the LAW. Love is the LAW. love under will.

Do you see? The power of the will is all. But without eros, or agape—love and sex, joined together—"will" is nothing but hollow, patriarchal power without direction or force.

What he taught us is that both forces must exist in balance. In order to stand beside God you have to first reject the idea of "God." Then, and only then, will you come to realize that you are God. Every man and every woman is a star.

Rockets and magick: Ask yourself, what do they have in common? They're about transcending all limits. Acts of rebellion against the limits of gravity and inertia, and the limits of human existence. We will only be hold down, earthbound, for so long. Two sides of the same coin.

[He takes what looks like an ancient silver coin from his pocket and performs some kind of sleight of hand with it; suddenly there are two coins.]

Alchemy isn't only about "chemistry" or turning base metal to gold. The medieval philosophers and alchemists knew this—even Isaac Newton knew it—but their knowledge was lost until Crowley brought it back. You see, alchemy actually speaks to internal processes, and a radical evolution in our spiritual development: transforming the "base metal" of primitive man to the "gold" of an enlightened soul. Rockets and magick are both about breaking through the animal boundaries of space and time that hold us back from realizing our potential. Either, maybe both, will someday take us to the moon and the stars beyond. I truly believe that. Magick is just the name we've always given to things we don't yet understand...

[He stares at me for a moment with his dark brown eyes, then turns gaze to the statue of Pan, gets a faraway look and mutters something under his breath.]

The magician longs to see...

So, summing it up: This is basically saying that "God" doesn't actually exist as an individual entity, so much as an all-encompassing state in which everything in the universe partakes, as every living thing is in fact a particle of God, which paradoxically exists in unity with the source at its core. Hence the old saying quoted in the speech above, Every Man and Every Woman is a Star, every number is infinite, there is no difference, meaning that every individual entity is equal to the oversoul of the Godhead at their core, and any distinctions between them are illusory.

This is not exactly a concept that the series only mentions once and never again, by the way, considering there are also statements like this:

As above, so below. The human being finds himself, or herself, in the middle. There is as much space outside the human, proportionately, as inside.
Stars, moons, and planets remind us of protons, neutrons, and electrons. Is there a bigger being walking with all the stars within? Does our thinking affect what goes on outside us, and what goes on inside us? I think it does.
Where does creamed corn figure into the workings of the universe? What really is creamed corn? Is it a symbol for something else?

Of course, this relates to the Fireman by virtue of the fact he is already strongly connected to the figure of a "God" in the context of the setting. For instance, he was worshipped by Native-American tribes as a supreme deity known as "The Great Spirit Chief," responsible for the creation of the world, whose counsel could be sought by going to a sacred site described as "a place of smoke by the mountains," later shown to be the direct entrance to the Fireman's Home.

Further than that, we also have the testimony of a man who managed to access the transcendental realms of the Lodge while under the influence of special drugs from an obscure tribe, where he describes interacting with an extremely tall (Noteworthy, since the Fireman's defining characteristic in the series is his height), benevolent entity holding much greater authority than other Spirits, which he identifies as "god" energy.

A shining figure, much taller than the others, suddenly appeared in their midst and it gave off a violet light so bright and powerful it washed away everything else in my field of vision, nearly "blinding" me. I cannot honestly remember anything else about its appearance, which may or may not have been humanoid—my memory holds it closer in shape to a sphere that emanated a powerful impression of "beauty," but in an almost purely abstract sense. The other figures seemed to either defer to this figure or recoil from it in fear; it occurred to me that the figure might have been drawn to me by some protective instinct. As the other figures withdrew or receded, the new figure moved closer, and as it neared, all my own fears subsided and I felt a benevolent calm wash over me, an energetically soothing rush of peace and then a sense of joy that swelled up in my chest until I thought it might burst. A wholly inadequate phrase arose in my mind at that precise moment to fully describe this experience, and it was this: I am in the presence of "god" energy.

As seen above, the all-encompassing "God" which Jack Parsons describes is also explicitly symbolized by the color gold, and the alchemical concept of "transmutation into gold" is then just a representation of an individual's spiritual evolution: Lead being a mundane, unenlightened soul, and gold being a spirit that gained awareness of its relationship with God and transcended past all limits and restrictions, achieving oneness with the source in the process.

That detail is relevant because of how gold is itself a very important recurring symbol in the series' mythology, and often appears in scenes involving souls and spiritual ascension. For instance, a dead boy's soul is portrayed as a golden flame leaving his body and going up to the sky, and the Log Lady says that "her log is turning gold" as she lies on her deathbed, the log itself being an object which was described as containing several spirits throughout the show. There are also a few more examples of gold popping up as a symbol, some of which are way more comedic than others, but that are still references to the alchemical meaning of gold, nonetheless, as said in the scans.

Most of all, though, The Fireman and his domain are themselves fairly heavily associated with gold, too. The essence that comes from behind his face and shapes Laura Palmer's soul into being is golden, and likewise, the testimony of a man who went to the sacred site containing the gateway to his realm describes gold emanating from everything, right before he is taken into it.

It [a letter from Lewis] begins with a more or less direct account of traveling three days due north from the main body of the Corps to a "certain location" that Lewis says was revealed to him on a recently drawn native map. At which point I am then treated to a disjointed assortment of passages that defy categorization, i.e.:

"Lights from the sky, the silvery spheres...music, like some heavenly choir...fire that burns but does not consume...colors unseen or unimagined, flowing from all things...gold, all gold, bright and shining..."

All of it written in a rapid scrawl. Many of the words illegible. Nearly a page of lunatic ranting about "the secret deep within the color red." Puzzling references to classical statuary, black lines and a throughly incoherent discourse on the "mysterious force B. Franklin had stumbled upon." Finally, the fragmented and feverish mention of an uncanny encounter with a "silent man."

His last words in this vein, at which point L. appears to have altered course and sailed back toward reason:

"I should have heeded his warning."

By the way, all of the usages of gold as a recurring symbol in Season 3 are certainly intentionally tied to the alchemical concept described in the book, considering that Secret History itself is supposed to be a tie-in book to accompany it, and it actually foreshadows many important concepts that would later appear in the series (Such as Mother's existence.) The fact that the book was written and published in 2016, by the time Season 3's script was already finished, should make this pretty evident as well.

Coupling all of that with the Fireman being pretty clearly associated with the figure of a supreme being in the context of the verse, it'd be fairly reasonable to say that the golden light behind his face is the "God" described by the excerpts above, much like how The Experiment has a void containing a smile behind its face, and Laura has a mass of white light behind hers.

Of course, that the two are different things speaks for itself, given how The Fireman is fairly clearly portrayed as a personal creator deity who "exists" as an individual entity and governs the universe from his Home, being worshipped as the Chief God by Native-American tribes, while "God" is written as being more of an all-pervading wholeness that has no particular identity, but is rather the culmination of all identities, hence why "In order to stand beside God, you have to first reject the idea of 'God.' Then, and only then, will you come to realize that you are God." So the two will obviously remain as separate keys.

So, to summarize it, "God" in Twin Peaks is an absolute totality that encompasses all things, and is completely boundless and devoid of limits and restrictions even when compared to the inhabitants of the purple sea, which all participate in it to the same extent as everything else does, even regular humans.

Although, I should note here that this doesn't refer just to a difference in size compared to the rest of the cosmology, as "transcending all limits" in this case refers to ontological limitations in general, and while the phrase is indeed spoken from the perspective of a human (Hence him giving emphasis on how transcendence over space and time is achieved by merging with God there), we do know that there are several layers in the setting that stand in-between the human world and God's boundlessness, which would all be encompassed by it, anyway, so these descriptions also apply in relation to the whole cosmology, too.

Naturally, this would give them Omnipresence, but, given how all of the descriptions of transcendence up there apply relative to a High 1-A reality (The purple sea, in this case), I am pretty confident this would qualify for Tier 0.

As for characters which that would scale to, we have exactly one: That being Mother, since her true form is a direct counterpart to God that exists as its shadow-self. This, in turn, leads to another point:

So, a pretty central theme to Twin Peaks as a whole is that of duality, as well as the conflict between two opposing extremes: The duality between the White Lodge and its shadow-self, the Black Lodge, is a fairly prominent example that applies to the entirety of the series' lore, for instance, and likewise, the entire plotline of The Return revolves around the conflict between Dale Cooper and his doppelgänger originated from the Red Room, Mr. C. The occult narrative underlying it also frames both Laura Palmer and JUDY as being counterparts to one another, light and dark, respectively.

We also have the dichotomy between MIKE and his arm, as well as the one between God and Mother, and, really, even the name of the show already expresses this theme.

However, an important thing it notes is also that all dichotomies are merely reflections, and all things are ultimately one in the end, with equilibrium and balance between opposites being this the core theme of the series as a whole. This idea of all dualities being aspects of an omnipresent oneness was brought up in the introduction of the finale of the original series, where Mr. C was first introduced as Cooper's opposite:

And now, an ending. Where there was once one, there are now two. Or were there always two?
What is a reflection? A chance to see two? When there are chances for reflections, there can always be two--or more. Only when we are everywhere will there be just one.
It has been a pleasure speaking to you.

This notion is already present in a lot of things in the series: Cooper and Mr. C are just two versions of the same person, for example, and MIKE and The Arm are both two aspects of the same entity, with the only difference being that the latter is the chaotic version that was severed from the whole once MIKE was "purified" by God. JUDY and Laura are also repeatedly alluded to exist as two sides of the same coin, as I outlined in the blog linked above.

Given all of that, it's only logical that God and Mother, too, would abide by this same principle, given how they themselves exist as reflections of one another, and are directly contrasted by MIKE's testimony regarding his purification. Which, then, leads to this:

Leland, the time has come for you to seek the path. Your soul has set you face-to-face with the clear light, and you are now about to experience it in all its reality, wherein all things are like the void and cloudless sky, and the naked, spotless intellect is like a transparent vacuum, without circumference or center. Leland, in this moment, know yourself, and abide in that state… Look to the light, Leland. Find the light.

For context, this quote is a passage from the Tibetan Book of the Dead, meant to be recited to those who are about to pass away in order to assist them on their way to the next world:

O nobly—born (so and so by name), the time hath now come for
thee to seek the Path [in reality]. Thy breathing is about to cease. Thy
guru hath set thee face to face before with the Clear Light; and now
thou art about to experience it in its Reality in the Bardo state,
wherein all things are like the void and cloudless sky, and the naked,
spotless intellect is like unto a transparent vacuum without
circumference or centre. At this moment, know thou thyself; and
abide in that state. I, too, at this time, am setting thee face to face.

The "Clear Light" mentioned in both passages, by the way, is essentially what an individual's consciousness is to experience as they pass away: Being in the process of shedding away their own selves, they begin to partake into the primordial, unmodified state of pure being which underlies everything and from which everything is originated, perceiving the true "Reality" of the Void. In this case, it is described as colorless and transparent because it is devoid of characteristics and attributes.

Given how it is defined as the point in which all forms of duality and distinction end, and how it is explicitly described as a "transparent vacuum" that lacks form or color, then it would logically have to be apart from God and Mother, as they are still a distinction represented by colors, these being gold and black, respectively.

So, since it's a perfect, undifferentiated oneness that lacks attributes or characteristics even in relation to entities such as God and Mother, I'd be inclined to say that the transparent fullness of the Clear Light is 0, too, though I'm a bit indifferent as to whether or not it gets a key on the profiles.

The latter part is probably a bit controversial, but I should note, though, that I am only making use of that due to how the series itself explicitly mentions the Clear Light and describes it using passages lifted verbatim from the original text. Aside from that, I'm not using anything else from it.

The only possible complaint in that regard, as far as I see, would be questioning how we can be sure that the Clear Light is actually a part of the verse's cosmology, rather than just an in-universe philosophical idea, but the fact that (As said above) the idea of an all-encompassing oneness was already brought up in the series, coupled with how every concept that mankind has ever thought of is explicitly derived from the Lodges and the realms beyond them in some way, makes it a non-factor, in my view.

Oh, yeah, and just so I don't (completely) piss off the inevitable wave of mass-pinged staff members with bad high-tier thread: It was also agreed on this thread that Mr. C's 9-B and 8-B ratings are both bunk and ought to be removed, since the feat listed on his profile is 9-C and the 8-B feat is inapplicable and coming from a bad calculation built on weird assumptions. For whatever reason, this was forgotten, so I'm bringing it up again.

Last edited:
I'm just here for the Tier 9 feat. Yeah it should be 9-C since the entire skull isn't being completely destroyed, only the front part of the skull is being caved in. Only way the calc could have been used is if the entire skull was demolished in a swift blow or the entire skull was crushed into tiny pieces or completely reduced to dust, and sadly Mr. C doesn't do any of that in the feat.

Already seen the evidence for this a while back. Agree with the OP and am in favor of giving "The Clear Light" a key.

I agree after reading the OP.

And finish revising CM you coward!

I agree with pretty much everything, I'd just like clarification on the Tier 0 and the God Energy.

As seen above, the all-encompassing "God" which Jack Parsons describes is also explicitly symbolized by the color gold
But the excerpt you used says it's Violet.
A shining figure, much taller than the others, suddenly appeared in their midst and it gave off a violet light so bright and powerful it washed away everything else in my field of vision, nearly "blinding" me.
I think for the function of "The End", it works, as Violet is on the end of the visible spectrum but I'm just confused about this.

It could be a typo for "Violent", hence why I'm asking.

Naturally, this would give them Omnipresence, but, given how all of the descriptions of transcendence up there apply relative to a High 1-A reality (The purple sea, in this case), I am pretty confident this would qualify for Tier 0.
Is transcending a High 1-A qualification for Tier 0? I thought that would just be a Higher end of High 1-A

The way you're describing this makes me feel that "Inland Empire" and "Rabbits" should get an Unknown tier. Hell, even "Eraserhead" should be in this Wikia.
Give me some time to read the new changes you made in your blogs... Lynch deserves to be read.

EDIT: also, could you add the ñ/Ñ character for Senorita Dido. It's the only thing that I saw from the start

Is transcending a High 1-A qualification for Tier 0? I thought that would just be a Higher end of High 1-A
Transcending High 1-A's is Tier 0 yes. The only case when it wouldn't be is if its just a higher layer in a hierarchy or whatever (Like The Unwritten and Shinza when it was still High 1-A lol)

Transcending High 1-A's is Tier 0 yes. The only case when it wouldn't be is if its just a higher layer in a hierarchy or whatever (Like The Unwritten and Shinza when it was still High 1-A lol)
Wait, really? So if there isn't a hierarchy in the verse, if a character transcends a high 1A, they automatically become tier 0?

Wait, really? So if there isn't a hierarchy in the verse, if a character transcends a high 1A, they automatically become tier 0?
Basically the comparison i'm making -

Lets say you have a High 1-A. Something in the verse is a layer above it, but they're still in the same hierarchy. Thus said character is only a higher degree of High 1-A. Now lets say you have a character that transcends and trivializes them, and is outside their hierarchy, this character would be an example of a Tier 0.

So basically The God Energy completely transcends the Fireman, as the Fireman is just a reductory aspect or form of it's true essence, and it lays above even The Mauve Zone that the Fireman resides in. And of course The God Energy is just an illusory dualistic nature of The Non-Dual Clear Light, so it would be Tier 0 by proxy.

That feels

Really wrong.

But if that's how we do it here, then I can't really complain. Thanks for the info I suppose.

I think for the function of "The End", it works, as Violet is on the end of the visible spectrum but I'm just confused about this.
The higher entities of the verse tend to be represented by multiple colors, but their primary ones are gold and black, specifically. The Fireman's realm is also associated with white and silver, for instance, and Mother is associated with purple and red, too. The point is more that all of those symbols become irrelevant at this scale, hence why everything except the golden light is monochromatic in the Fireman's Home

It'd be a higher-end of High 1-A if the relationship between the two just corresponded to a vague difference in size. Like I explained in the OP, God is the absence of all limits in the sense that its wholeness has no existential restrictions whatsoever, so, it's more akin to a total conceptual jump, in that regard. And that's the usual requirement for Tier 0: That is, transcending the systems in which lower tiers are defined (Or the lack thereof, in this case)

Woah haha i can't believe Ultima is trying this after his last failure!
c8f5c1b20fd2aa18200c35b628915087-1.png

Adolf Stalin for you.

The higher entities of the verse tend to be represented by multiple colors, but their primary ones are gold and black, specifically. The Fireman's realm is also associated with white and silver, for instance, and Mother is associated with purple and red, too. The point is more that all of those symbols become irrelevant at this scale, hence why everything except the golden light is monochromatic in the Fireman's Home
Maybe not entirely thread relevant, but theres more mythological connections you can make with the whole color thing that Twin Peaks does.

IIRC the transmutation to Gold actually comes from Thelema, and TP heavily mirrors Thelema, going even as far as to have Crowley and Parsons be canon to the story as well as the many quotes taken from The Liber Al Vel Legis. Mother's Red and Purple associations are also a callback to Babalon, who is said to be adorned in Purple and Scarlet, and i'm sure we already know how much Mother borrows from Babalon as a concept.

So yeah the different colors being there do have a purpose as they are sort of a reference and call back to the myths and occult systems that Twin Peaks draws upon, notably The Clear Light as well.

I was asked to comment here, so I'll keep it brief: I agree to the tier 0 stuff, and the downgrades for Mr. C also make sense.

Just making sure, who and which keys would omnipresence since this point seems tied down to tier 0?

• Oh, yeah, and just so I don't (completely) piss off the inevitable wave of mass-pinged staff members with bad high-tier thread: It was also agreed on this thread that Mr. C's 9-B and 8-B ratings are both bunk and ought to be removed, since the feat listed on his profile is 9-C and the 8-B feat is inapplicable and coming from a bad calculation built on weird assumptions. For whatever reason, this was forgotten, so I'm bringing it up again.
    • Changes seem fine,

Last edited:
Just making sure, who and which keys would omnipresence since this point seems tied down to tier 0?
So pretty much new keys would be made on the following profiles.

The Fireman
JUDY
Senorita Dido

These keys on The Fireman and Dido's page would be "The God Energy" and "The Clear Light"
For JUDY it would be "Mother of Abominations (True Form)" and "The Clear Light

Those keys mentioned above would be the ones getting Tier 0 and Omnipresence.

I see; the other changes and tier 0 updates for those characters regarding those keys work for me, from what I read.

Last edited:
Well, I've already voiced my agreement with this. The God Energy and Mother are portrayed as above all limits and restrictions even in relation to a layered High 1-A structure, which should meet the requirements for Tier 0 based on my understanding.

There isn't really a need to respond if you don't understand this though.

absolutely not, no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back