• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Gaara Sand Armor Question (possible CRT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at Gaara's Sand Armor durability the other day, and noticed how weak it is compared to his standard Sand Shield

Durability:
City Block level (Comparable to his striking strength), City Block level+ with Sand Armor (Withstood several attacks from First Gate Lee, albeit with slight damage[11]. Somewhat withstood the Reverse Lotus, although he took significant damage and had to use his Sand Shield to protect him from hitting the ground[12]), Multi-City Block level with Sand Shield (Much stronger than the Sand Armor[11]), higher with Partial Transformation (Sasuke's attacks were ineffective against him, with the Chidori being his only option to damage him[6]) | City Block level (Comparable to his striking strength), City Block level+ with Sand Armor (At least comparable to his Sand Armor during the Chūnin Exams), Large Town level with Sand Shield (Comparable to his attack potency), Small City level with Shield of Shukaku (Withstood an attack from CS2 Kimimaro and shattered his bones in the process[13]) | At least City Block level physically (Comparable to his striking strength), Multi-City Block level with Sand Armor (Should be more durable than it was prior to the timeskip), Mountain level with Sand Shield (Blocked Deidara’s C3, which is far superior to his C2[9]) | At least City Block level physically, Multi-City Block level with Sand Armor, Large Mountain level+ with Sand Shield (Blocked V2 A's Guillotine Drop[14]. His sand shield, alongside Onoki's Stone Golem, was able to stop Madara's Yasaka Magatama[15]. He blocked several attacks from Madara's humanoid Susano'o[16]. He later blocked Sage Mode Madara's Susano'o sword, albeit barely[10]) | Unknown physically, Large Mountain level+ with Sand Shield (His sand tanked several meteors) | At least City Block level physically, Multi-City Block level with Sand Armor, Large Mountain level+ with Sand Shield

At first, in the Chuunin Arc, it makes sense, it gets chipped by Lee, so it'd be 8-B, but as the series goes on it stays constant or some reason while his Sand Shield gets tougher and tougher... why?

Both Sand Armor and Sand Shield are composed of Chakra Infused Sand, they should honestly be around the same level, even if the Armor is weaker- it's still relevant in later arcs. Even in Shippuden, it's last notable use (that I can remember) against Deidera, it protected him from the bulk of Deidera's termite explosions from inside the Sand Shield. And that Sand Shield was visibly affected by those blasts too (it expanded when the explosion happened), the fact the Sand Armor protected Gaara's 8-B durability makes it at least somewhat as tough as the Sand Shield even if it's weaker.

Yes Deidera doesn't want to kill Gaara, but Deidera's 7-B, and he was definitely attacking Gaara to make him unconscious, there's no way he was putting like, 10% effort into that attack when he's going like "Art is an EXPLOSION HAAAAA".

So shouldn't we be scaling Sand Armor to just be weaker Sand Shield?

Yes Deidera doesn't want to kill Gaara, but Deidera's 7-B, and he was definitely attacking Gaara to make him unconscious, there's no way he was putting like, 10% effort into that attack when he's going like "Art is an EXPLOSION HAAAAA".
Him speaking that way doesn't mean much considering Deidera is a flashy person when it comes to his explosions. Also, we can't estimate how much power he's using since he isn't trying to kill him. I'm not saying his sand armor shouldn't scale, I'm just stating why this reasoning isn't too supportive.

So shouldn't we be scaling Sand Armor to just be weaker Sand Shield?
We are, Multi-City Block level is weaker than Mountain level

Jokes aside, the City Block level+/Multi-City Block level Sand Armor was added during the Part I revisions, so we weren’t looking at Part II feats.

If you can provide scans and chapter numbers for some of its Part II feats, then we can talk about upgrading it.

O. I mean I was kinda just using logic, since, all of Gaara's sand is chakra infused, it would be reasonable to assume that Sand Armor got stronger over time in proportion to his Sand Shield. Kinda just....makes sense

I don't know the manga well because I'm a filthy anime enjoyer, Deidara's example was just something that popped into my head, and since he's 7-B, thought the armor would scale. Deidara did seem to think Gaara was more powerful than him in that battle too I guess, so no reason to hold back to an extreme.

Also didn't Gaara get folded that one time vs Momoshiki? (Looked it up damn he actually got folded by a lariat he sleep). There really isn't a reason for Gaara to not have the armor on at that point, otherwise there's really no way he would have survived that even if Momo was holding back to Madara levels. (Since Momo is also fighting the other Kages, he'd have to body them while holding back at those 7B/H7A levels, unless you argue he really held back to 8B levels just for Gaara's weak ass, just so he can flex on him, the only reason Gaara could have lived would be the Armor)

There's also this filler movie where Naruto folds Gaara too but we don't count those I guess

If that's not enough, too bad for me then I wasn't thinking of a Ikki K vs Gaara match at all idk what you were talking about

I’m only going to look at the Deidara example cause it’s the only one that’s really relevant. We don’t scale the Kage to Momoshiki, and the anime isn’t useable.

Considering that the Sand Armor is clearly damaged, the explosion KOed Gaara almost immediately AND Deidara was trying not to kill him (C.249), I find it very iffy to scale the Sand Armor to Deidara’s bombs, and it absolutely should not scale to the Sand Shield in any way.

At best, I could see the Sand Armor getting At most 7-B or Possibly 7-B.

Last edited:
Deidara did seem to think that Gaara was stronger than him in general too (and then Gaara was mistaken for Shukaku). I think 7-B Armor seems aight, makes sense.

Deidara did seem to think that Gaara was stronger than him in general too (and then Gaara was mistaken for Shukaku)
I don’t know where you’re getting that idea from, Deidara doesn’t say anything that would even remotely imply this.

And even if he did, it wouldn’t relate to his Sand Armor at all.

I don’t know where you’re getting that idea from, Deidara doesn’t say anything that would even remotely imply this.

And even if he did, it wouldn’t relate to his Sand Armor at all.
Lmao I just watched English dub anime lol. Maybe it ain’t in the manga

also English Dub Naruto is based fite me

Yeah, I'm not sure we can do this.

I mean, yeah, obviously the Sand Armor got more durable over the years, but we can't just assume where it should be. We can't assign an arbitrary tier to it without any feats or calcs.
The most we can do is give it an "At least 8-B+".
The problem with the Sand Armor is that it has statements that make scaling it to Gaara's other sand a bit difficult. It's weaker than the Shield, so we can't scale it to that. It's also kinda hard to scale it to Deidara's weakest bombs since they knocked him out AND Deidara was holding back to not kill him.

All around it's iffy to me, but I can live with "At most 7-B" if others are okay with it.

Last edited:
I guess that only leaves @KingTempest
What do you think about this?
I'm honored to actually be mentioned here.
Well first I completely disagree with the CRT with all due respect.

Them both being comprised out of chakra infused sand is not an argument that is valid when there is much more to the context than "they both are sand with chakra".
Amount of chakra matters. Usage of chakra matters. Volume of sand matters. Things of that nature.

Hashirama's wood golem and his wood head are both made out of chakra infused wood, yet one got completely pulverized by a tailed beast bomb and the other was completely intact.

If it has any narrative implications of being superior to anyone else's durability, ok. If Gaara has any solid feats, okay.

But I disagree with it just because of "oh it shouldn't be too inferior".

If you wanna scale hit sand armor above his base dura who could possibly scale relative to the other Kage, then okay. But the current justification, no. Gaara's sand shield completely blocks hits which shatter his sand armor + draw blood from his body.

Another thing. We should add
"Lower with Sand Armor"
On Gaara's speed section, as it expends more of his strength to move with it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back