• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

******' Emoji Movie Revisions II: Not a Joke Edition

basically, gene can turn into other emojis, and some of those emojis would probably give him some buffs if he used this ability for offensive purposes. by spending an extremely unhealthy period of time rewatching the emoji movie, i have discovered multiple emojis that are featured in the movie and would grant him abilities if he turned into them. these emojis include:
  • the angel emoji, which would grant him flight.
  • animal emojis, which would grant him natural weaponry, flight, and possibly superhuman physical characteristics.
  • the bomb emoji, which would grant him self-destruction.
  • the bow and arrow emoji, which would grant him natural weaponry via being a bow and arrow.
  • the cloud emoji, which would grant him weather manipulation.
  • the devil emoji, which would grant him natural weaponry via horns as well as a pitchfork.
  • the earth emoji, which is not 5-B due to being the same size as an average emoji, but would still grant him earth manipulation and water manipulation.
  • the fire emoji, which would grant him fire manipulation.
  • the ghost emoji, which would grant him flight, intangibility, and immortality (type 7).
  • the helicopter emoji, which would grant him flight, inorganic physiology (type 2), and natural weaponry via propellers.
  • the laughing with tears emoji, which would grant him water manipulation (those tears are probably large enough for his crying to be classified as such).
  • the rocket emoji, which would grant him flight, inorganic physiology, and fire manipulation via exhaust (i think).
  • the skull emoji, which would grant him immortality (type 7).
emojis that don't appear in the movie are not included here.
some emojis, such as the volcano emoji, are featured in the movie as buildings in textopolis. whether or not gene can turn into them is unknown, but it's unlikely.
also, i'm gonna try calcing the tragic destruction of the world text center, since gene and every emoji involved survived the incident.

edit: so i just realized that typing an emoji takes a fraction of a second, but from the perspective of the characters it takes about 35 seconds. subsonic emoji movie characters confirmed

Last edited:
unknown.png

i got banned for making too many threads about why cool cat should have a profile. i think that's sufficient.

We are not giving someone water manipulation for crying

Where is it stated that gene can turn into the emojis you listed?

I have never seen The Emoji Movie at all, & am neutral on this thread in general, but....
You'd deny it even when the crying is a specific & major part of a transformation, & the volume of water is a large portion, especially compared to the character's own body?
After a Google & checking the The Emoji Movie Wiki, & the Sony Pictures Animation Wiki, as well as Wikipedia, I'd say it seems to be a central part of the plot & element of his character, & I'd assume it comes up in multiple points within the movie. Still, I could be wrong, since I haven't seen the movie proper.
Sorry if I've been a bit rude or bothersome.

he can activate it at will, and his tears are seemingly large enough to count as water manip. shrek's extremely strong farts count as fragrance manipulation, so gene's extremely large tears would likely count as water manip.
gene has a malfunction which allows him to turn into other emojis. in doing so, he can also change parts of his body (for example, turning his own eyes into hearts) and create objects (such as tears and floating hearts).

The tears being big don't mean anything, do you want to give any character who is a giant or an anime character who weeps large streams of tears water manipulation

Where is it stated he can turn into any emoji, or the ones you listed in particular

The tears being big don't mean anything, do you want to give any character who is a giant or an anime character who weeps large streams of tears water manipulation
Then dare I ask what the qualifiers for Water Manipulation are if creating amounts of water from your body don't qualify? Especially if we apparently don't count amounts of water that (Proportionally; Digital characters means Gene is probably very small.) would be impossible for a human to do by crying?

Tears are a natural process of removing water from the body, that's why it doesn't make much sense to call someone crying water manipulation. Maybe if it's used offensively it. It would be different.

Tears are a natural process of removing water from the body, that's why it doesn't make much sense to call someone crying water manipulation. Maybe if it's used offensively it. It would be different.
From what I understand, in the case of The Emoji Movie, you CAN'T create tears or cry unless that's part of how you are normally, as is the case for say, a Laughing with Tears Emoji. Gene being able to laugh to the point of creating tears (& presumably, also thusly creating the water.) is treated as an abnormality of his.

Googling found me this scene. I'm not sure if his tears have other instances, relevant or otherwise in the movie:

Gene is considered a freak for this; His parents are both "Meh" Emojis, who are always in the state of the Meh Emoji, & AFAIK, they don't think it's normal, & when he laughs, an actual Laughing with Tears emoji asks him "Why are you laughing, freak?"

So no, it would seem, tears are NOT a natural process of removing water for his body, apparently.
Not to mention he's not human. (& technically, his tears are probably more likely a digital representation of water, but 'Verse Equalization may affect that.)

well, gene's dad has the malfunction, too. it's basically a GENE (AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH) that got passed down to him. it's just that his dad had more control over it.

Ok the tears don't even seem that notable to make a difference, they are normal enough as far as a cartoon character is concerned. Even if it isn't natural for emojis to cry, there are certain processes that shouldn't be listed as a manipulation of something, even if they involve the element in question. Speaking could be considered air manipulation since you are moving the air, having a heart could be called blood manipulation since you are pumping the blood but counting them as such is really silly and would look bad on us. Water manipulation for crying is dumb and I don't know what to say if you don't see that

Where is it stated he can turn into any emoji, or the ones you listed in particular
the nature of gene's malfunction is never fully explained, but based on what we've been shown, it's very likely that he can turn into any other emoji. i think these abilities would be given a "likely" or "possibly" rating if they were to be accepted.

Ok the tears don't even seem that notable to make a difference, they are normal enough as far as a cartoon character is concerned.
so...toon force, then..?
Even if it isn't natural for emojis to cry, there are certain processes that shouldn't be listed as a manipulation of something, even if they involve the element in question. Speaking could be considered air manipulation since you are moving the air, having a heart could be called blood manipulation since you are pumping the blood but counting them as such is really silly and would look bad on us. Water manipulation for crying is dumb and I don't know what to say if you don't see that
he can activate it whenever he wants and the tears are like half the size of his entire body

I don't think we give hypothetical ratings for characters who can copy another character but never did so in canon, unless he started the process of transforming into another form but never finished

Ok the tears don't even seem that notable to make a difference, they are normal enough as far as a cartoon character is concerned. Even if it isn't natural for emojis to cry, there are certain processes that shouldn't be listed as a manipulation of something, even if they involve the element in question. Speaking could be considered air manipulation since you are moving the air, having a heart could be called blood manipulation since you are pumping the blood but counting them as such is really silly and would look bad on us. Water manipulation for crying is dumb and I don't know what to say if you don't see that
I believe our Wiki has documented non-combat applicable abilities before, although, when doing so, we should especially note such combat inapplicability. Still, I feel that I understand your reasoning.
Though I do feel that thoroughness of documentation can be valuable, & I can imagine being able to generate water might be notable. But it is a bit situational & limited in use, so I'm not particularly supportive (nor opposing.) of the inclusion of "Limited Water Manipulation via Crying".
@ BigSmoke4269 : Are there any other instances of Gene crying or doing Water Manipulation?
the nature of gene's malfunction is never fully explained, but based on what we've been shown, it's very likely that he can turn into any other emoji. i think these abilities would be given a "likely" or "possibly" rating if they were to be accepted.
I think that may be a No Limits Fallacy, & his ability should only be limited to those we know he has turned into, or, if there's evidence supporting it, any Emojis present in the movie.

@ BigSmoke4269 : Are there any other instances of Gene crying or doing Water Manipulation?
it happens for a second during the firewall scene
I think that may be a No Limits Fallacy, & his ability should only be limited to those we know he has turned into, or, if there's evidence supporting it, any Emojis present in the movie.
i was only including emojis that appear in the movie.

Subsonic thing probably doesn’t work since reality equalization. Throughout the process it’s also shown to happen alongside choosing the emoji in the real world, without any time difference. Even if it did it would only be perception speed, since small size likely means they aren’t actually performing movements that fast.
For the main part of this, does Gene actually change his body with transformations. I haven’t watched the movie, but from the scenes I’ve seen/what I’ve read about it was under the impression he only changes to other face emojis, not entirely different body types.

Subsonic thing probably doesn’t work since reality equalization.
what
Throughout the process it’s also shown to happen alongside choosing the emoji in the real world, without any time difference.
after the real person taps whatever emoji they want to send, it takes a fraction of a second for the emoji to appear. from the perspective of the emojis, though, it takes a lot more time than that.

Not an argument. Why is it even a profile in the first place
Presumably, for having a notable variety of abilities, an uncommon physicality, & not being a regular 10-B Human. Below average human statistics character profiles are a thing.

That said, I'm neutral on its inclusion. Still, I value thorough & proper evaluation & consideration, so I feel that if we're going to debate it, it should be debated properly.

Back