• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Forces of Heaven and Hell in an endless skirmish. Round 1 Match 6. Shangri-La vs The Cenobite

What? Stat Equalized? Naaaaaaaaaah unnecessary.

Joking aside...I'm wary to even give an answer. DBD killers apparently have a lot about them that isn't combat applicable/semi-applicable? Their loadouts have always kinda confused me about what they can or can't do in a SBA fight.

I can at least point out things that are interesting on Shangri-La's side for now, mainly that they probably hold the AP and speed advantage even post-stat equalization thanks to 'Power of Flash' being a passive stat buff for their attack and their action speed. Though is seems they CAN be weakened back down by the Cenobite's stat reducers.

Flight is great for mobility, but I don't know if we equalize range for equalized stats. If so, Shangri-La can use mobility and range effectively thanks to the difference, if not...then not.

Typical thing I saw for all PAD matches, PAD characters having healing, forcefields, and an AOE attack are all useful and only require the energy around them to work. Yadda Yadda, it combos and damage boosts when they use those, they're neato.

The main things that jump out at me are the Type 8 Immortality and it's combat applicability, The BFR, and the general 'fear' powers and if they can be incapacitating.

Shangri-La seems like they SHOULD be hard to hit for the Cenobite, but if they're unkillable and their abilities can weak Shangri-La down, then that advantage is moot.

Joking aside...I'm wary to even give an answer. DBD killers apparently have a lot about them that isn't combat applicable/semi-applicable? Their loadouts have always kinda confused me about what they can or can't do in a SBA fight.
Immortality is not combat applicable. In fact, here's the list of combat applicable perks killers have

Cenobite usually starts by sending multiple possessed chains to bind and restrain his opponent and then beating them over the head with his weapon. That or he can choose to back away if the opponent is too dangerous and pick up a lament configuration which is a cube somewhere in the arena. Doing this causes a chain hunt in which possessed chains will repeatedly rain down on the opponent non-stop until they pick up another lament configuration somewhere in the map

Immortality is not combat applicable. In fact, here's the list of combat applicable perks killers have

Cenobite usually starts by sending multiple possessed chains to bind and restrain his opponent and then beating them over the head with his weapon. That or he can choose to back away if the opponent is too dangerous and pick up a lament configuration which is a cube somewhere in the arena. Doing this causes a chain hunt in which possessed chains will repeatedly rain down on the opponent non-stop until they pick up another lament configuration somewhere in the map
That's significantly more helpful.

The chains aren't great news for the dragon, but Forcefield Creation can help with keeping them off Shangri-La. Should they land though, it seems like they CAN be broken, which AOE-ing with the Mass Attack should probably be able to do. Shangri-La's Mass Attack already gets a passive power boost and requires at least multiple Orbs to trigger so it gets a Damage Boost in strength as well. So even if they land, it seems like they shouldn't hold the dragon forever. From there, flight and their tremendous range advantage might make it hard to do again, the chain rain seems like it could still land though (unless its range isn't that far?) so they're not totally in the clear it seems? They still get a passive reaction/combat speed boost, and their intelligence/skill/experience is pretty high, so they can likely adapt a bit to using more forcefields after the Cenobite uses it once. Not that it CAN'T land again, but Shangri-La isn't going to let it happen easily.

Shangri-La's intelligence should be decently high, and the Cenobite's is technically 'unknown' but I have a hard time believing it's not at least 'competent'. Shangri-La might have that edge, but I don't think there's any reason it should be able to work out the way to stop the Chain Rain once it starts, or know to try to stop the Cenobite for going for it. So once it's on, it's probably staying on, and Shangri-La needs to play defensive to avoid it wearing/dragging it down.

Unnerving and Overwhelming Presence might actually hurt Combo Game (though likely slightly mitigated through the passive 'action time' boost) and harm aiming abilities. That's probably countered by any of the AOE attacks, but definitely noteworthy. Knock-Out and Franklin's Demise seem like they could be decently useful as long as the hits land, but mobility and range likely mitigate their usefulness, and Heal Orbs can likely help Shangri-La shake it off if given the chance, Cenobite doesn't seem to have options to really stop Orb usage. Coulrophobia is something of a counter to what I just said, but comboing Orbs does still increase potency, so it only weakens healing but might not make it unviable. Plus it likely won't stop forcefield creation.

Unrelenting, NOED, Iron Grasp, and Enduring all help counter the passive boost Shangri-La starts with and its ability to so easily Damage Boost, so while Shangri-La starts strong, seems Cenobite can even that playing field. Sloppy Butcher would be useful, but the range and mobility advantage still hurts how often it can be used, and Heal Orbs can likely counter the damage. Even under the effects of Coulrophobia, Shangri-La is still going to need to stack Orbs and use combos to do anything else in the fight, so potency for healing will get a boost, helping to heal bleeding wounds.

Meanwhile, on Shangri-La's side, Gigavolt Breath is pretty devastating. Having a 20x multiplier attack could end this decisively if Cenobite can't use it's Type 8 to return, with Cenobite needing to get Shangi-La to score misses or to stack Endure (if that's even a thing) to avoid being oneshot. And even if he does avoid the oneshot, he gets a taste of his own medicine by being hit with a paralysis inducement that also disables most ability usage.

TLDR: It seems like Cenobite has some decent options to try to tether and use abilities to wail on the dragon, but the chains seem like they can't hold them forever, and the forcefields, healing, and ability to unleash some much higher damaging attacks, mixed with some confirmed high intelligence, mobility, and range, means Cenobite is REALLY relying on Shangri-La to have a ridiculously unlucky day to wombo combo it enough to keep it down and fighting back as little as possible. Shangri-La's Gigavolt Blast, playing defensively and healing a lot, and staying out of his range seems like the most easy win-con here.

Back