• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, I've always had a problem with this series' calcs. Supernova is NOT a Solar System attack. Sure, it wipes out all the planets in a Solar System. But, it's one at a time and Sephiroth is just throwing a star at them. It's a Star Level feat. Solar System feats require the destruction of the whole Solar System, including the star, at the same time. "But... It still destroyed all those planets!" Do planets have Star Level durability? No? Didn't think so.

You're thinking that we assumed it's solar system level without a calc. If that were the case, then it wouldn't be 3 Megafoe instead of just 22.4 foe. And the Japanese version doesn't have that scene and is much quicker.

The real cal howard said:
You're thinking that we assumed it's solar system level without a calc. If that were the case, then it wouldn't be 3 Megafoe instead of just 22.4 foe. And the Japanese version doesn't have that scene and is much quicker.
Still, all he did was throw a star at a handfull of planets.

Thr attack doesnt necessarily to be the size of the tier of its yield. There are feats that exist of Jupiter beung destroyed that yieldes Large Star level, Earth destruction feats that yielded Dwarf and Small Stsr level, Moon destruction feats that yielded Large Planet level, the list goes on and on

Lol do not be "salted" against him, even me before I made the mistake to say that it is necessary to destroy an SS to have this level, it is a mistake that it will understand now

All he did was move a star. Hell, there's a debate whether or not it was just a summon or not. And how does moving a mountain equate to being able to destroy a Large Planet?

TheGoodCapt said:
All he did was move a star. Hell, there's a debate whether or not it was just a summon or not. And how does moving a mountain equate to being able to destroy a Large Planet?
For exemple:

Mount Everest mass is: 3.4 x 10^15 grams. if a characters lift the mountain and send it into space at High Speed (100.000.000m/s for exemple) The result is:

• KE= 1/2 MV^2
  • KE= 1/2 (3.4 x 10^15)* (100.000.000)^2
  • KE =1,7E+31 J - Small Planet level

@Capt

How? Sephiroth was at the epicenter of his own Supernova and is totally unfazed. Cloud can hurt him. Therefore he's Solar System level.

What's so hard to understand?

I originally questioned the Supernova as well. But the Japanese version saves the day and is what we scale off of. So, a couple of things here really contribute to the feat being so powerful.

1. KE is Crazy: Moving an object at incredibly high speeds gives incredibly high results. Jupiter was destroyed and moved off screen at an incredibly fast pace. The formula for KE is KE = 0.5*M*V^2. The mass of Jupiter is already crazy, but it gets halved. Still, Jupiter's mass puts more than 26 zeros into the calculation already. Now you take speed, which is very high, and square it. A large number multiplied by itself is huge. Now take that huge number and multiply it by the aforementioned huge number and the orders of magnitude just start rolling in.

2. Inverse Square Law: This contributes the most to Supernova's crazy results. If you take an explosion at point-blank, you eat a lot of its power. If you take it from far away, you eat a lot less since the energy is spread over a significantly larger surface area. This is the fundamental principle of inverse square law. Now, the distance between the Sun and Jupiter is huge. The surface area of an omnidirectional explosion capable of wiping out Jupiter from the Sun is absolutely mind boggling. Many magnitudes higher than that of Jupiter's surface area. Think of the head of a needle next to a wrecking ball. Now make that wrecking ball several times larger and you have the scale difference here.

A small amount of the wrecking ball's surface area, equal to the needle head's surface area, destroys the needle head. How much of that surface area, and thus energy, was NOT used on the needle head? Answer: a lot.

Hopefully this clears up what is going on.

Reppuzan said:
@Capt
How? Sephiroth was at the epicenter of his own Supernova and is totally unfazed. Cloud can hurt him. Therefore he's Solar System level.

What's so hard to understand?
Just 'cause you can survive a dip in the Sun doesn't mean you have Solar System level durability.

There's no reason to downgrade anyone in FF7 since they scale off of a feat that's COMPLETELY different from the one you're talking about.

Theglassman12 said:
There's no reason to downgrade anyone in FF7 since they scale off of a feat that's COMPLETELY different from the one you're talking about.
You have no idea what we're even talking about. The only person that weighs in with this level of feat is Sephiroth. And it's off of the Supernova. Which is in fact, what we're discussing.

Sephiroth tanks his own Supernova at the very epicenter, which gives him 4-B durability. The main cast can harm him.

Yes I do. We scaled them off of the japanese supernova. You're talking about the english version of the supernova.

Theglassman12 said:
Yes I do. We scaled them off of the japanese supernova. You're talking about the english version of the supernova.
Oh, so magically the scene has a different way of playing out? Please. Tell me more.

My bad, I watched it on my own. That's quite the difference. Why do developers include so many inconsistencies between versions?

Which usually takes priority? The original or the more powerful of the two? (Asking for future reference.)

I think the English version was added because they thought it didn't feel "epic" enough or something, so they gave the attack a two minute long animation.

WeeklyBattles said:
@Capt For a japanese game the japanese translation takes priority
^^^^^

If we didn't do this for not just japanese games, but japanese animes, then a lot of verses would have different stats via some changes in scripts in the show, like FTL DBZ since raditz showed up.

Phoenix821 said:
Out of curiosity how fast would that meteor Sephiroth summoned in the english version be moving?
most likely MFTL+ due to flying into a galaxy pretty fast.

WeeklyBattles said:
@Capt For a japanese game the japanese translation takes priority
Thought so. It's just I've met some people that like to puff up their side out of desperation. Not on this site, though. Not yet.

Okay, please close this unless someone else has a different point. All the original points have been covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back