• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Fanfiction Rules

My last post about it in the last thread.

tl;dr I think fanfiction should be used for works whose content mainly focuses on literal copies of other works. Parodies and references wouldn't contribute to this.

The rule should be similar to what we seem to have decided for works with 18+ content. Stories with **** in them are fine, **** with a little story on the side isn't. So stories that incorporate other works in them are fine, but works mainly incorporating other works with a little story on the side aren't.

Pretty sure we have **** profiles on this wiki.

I agree with Agnaa's veiw, at least to a partial degree. Though what about profiles that involve a single object from another fiction? When is it considered a nod or gag, and when is it straight up fanfic? I truly want to know.

We have profiles from games that were argued to be mostly game/story with a side of ****

We dont allow games that are mostly sexual content with story as a side which is why coc was rejected

The closest thing is MGQ which apparently gets really plot-heavy in its later installments and shies away from the **** part.

I'd consider it a nod or gag when those sorts of things take up a vast minority of the viewing experience of the work. Such as how JJBA has one character that summons fictional characters out of its hundreds of chapters.

I personally consider it to be a verse that acts in another established verse using that setting and those characters.

Yobo Blue said:
I personally consider it to be a verse that acts in another established verse using that setting and those characters.
So, now that we've got that out of the way, can we continue on from the last thread with you responding to this post?

Wait. Before anything else, I would like to make sure of our standards on public domain.

I'm not sure what our standards are, and I can't articulate my own thoughts on it easily.

I think stories derivative of public domain works would be okay (i.e. not fanfiction) if it doesn't wholly copy parts of the original, and if it doesn't rely on you having already seen the original.

By "wholly copy parts" I'm trying to excuse stuff as copying character names, motivations, lines of dialogue, story settings, and plot points as okay. While leaving taking parts of the original work and putting it into your own as not being excused.

For "rely on you having already seen the original", I'm trying to allow works like "Flatland but as a movie", while disallowing sequel works like "Flatland 2: The Second Romance". However, I'd still allow sequels to a remake, such as "Flatland but as a movie, 2"

I can't really tell, was Dracule the Un-dead written by the license holders?

The CM verse page explains that extended universe isn't used.

I'm not familiar with CM, so I can't comment.

Agnaa said:
I can't really tell, was Dracule the Un-dead written by the license holders?

The CM verse page explains that extended universe isn't used.
I don't believe there is a license holder for Dracula anymore, but it was written by the Stoker family if that matters.

I'm not talking about right now, I'm talking about back then.

If the Stoker family held the license when it was written, then it's not fanfiction. If they didn't, then I don't think we can establish rules on public domain and fanfiction.

That doesn't help.

A work enters the public domain after a few decades, which I'm fairly certain means no license. Dracula is 100 years old at least iirc. I don't think anyone's had a real license for a long time.

Then I don't think we can establish rules on public domain and fanfiction.

Another issue is something like "Scorpion Rain", a series of unlicensed shorts that were supposedly made canon to the verse after the writer became a official part of the writers of Power Rangers

(Scorpion Rain itself never actually existed and is more complicated than that, but the sort of situation described above isn't uncommon)

Back