• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Fandom's Oasis skin will be retired next week

I have now asked them about if they would be willing to move back the navigation bar to the top of the screen if their experiment to make visitors interact more with the site at large does not work out.
It seems like this is very unlikely to happen.

This new skin is genuinely awful, though.

I agree with that.

we need to get a petition to return the old skin.

Hello.

This is just a note that next week Fandom's Oasis layout skin is being retired:

?useskin=oasis will remain as a URL parameter for testing for a couple of weeks after that, but after that the skin will be gone forever.

Edit:

You can read further information here:

Ant would it be possible for bureaucrats like you to team together and petition the fandom staff to keep the old oasis skin?

(i mean every wiki has its bureaucrat and it would be possible to unit them all and protest against this)

It wouldn't matter. They moved the Fandom navigation bar as a business decision, since it is supposed to cause casual visitors to interact more with the site as a whole, and give them more awareness of the brand.

It wouldn't matter. They moved the Fandom navigation bar as a business decision, since it is supposed to cause casual visitors to interact more with the site as a whole, and give them more awareness of the brand.

ah yes advertisement essentially. (more money, the better for the company. Why am i not suprised)

ah yes advertisement essentially. (more money, the better for the company. Why am i not suprised)
So basically, this is Fandom
tenor.gif

They simply want casual visitors who find single pages via Google to interact more with the greater platform itself, both wikis and news articles.

The Fandom staff thinks that making the Fandom navigation bar more in-your-face/unmissable (in my opinion obstructive to reading and designing the articles) will cause visitors to remember the brand more and interact more with the site as a whole.

And what branding are they doing? It actually makes me less aware since I'm not obligated to look at Fandom's name and such whenever I search, it literally plops the Fandom thing to the left side where I'm not going to be looking when I'm viewing pages or searching for them. Vsbattles wiki(or insert other wiki here) is not the brand Fandom is primarily using is it?

Honestly I wouldn't mind it if it made viewing similar while making branding better and more apparent. Company has to company.

But plopping the crap to the left(makes the pages look more like walls of text) as well as getting rid of the perfectly fine search thing is not something that I'm going to be alright with, and it falls flat on making it more interactive, I don't know about Fandom Staff but I'd not much care about a site I need to click something thrice just to search something. I'd just leave and see if I could find something else.

But I'm done bitching here about it, I know nothing is going to get changed because the corporate overlords have already decided.

Well, I have repeatedly complained to the official staff about the left placement of the Fandom navigation bar, in several phases of its development, but this is a business profit decision, and their advertisements are likely not bringing in nearly as much money as they used to, despite the rising popularity of the site as a whole, due to that so many people use ad-blockers.

So they made it more of a pain in the *%$ for no reason essentially. Gotta love corporations!

Can't really get past those pesky ad blockers/ads not interesting the consumers... especially when you plop all of your ads at the bottom of the page. If your gonna obstruct view do it with an ad, come on.

Wait, that's why the new look makes my eyes bleed because of how bright it is?

if there are enough complaints i'm sure fandom will return it to the old one.

all we have to do is just say.

i hate this.

the more it happens, the more fandom decides to give us back the one we all love.

The white and purple doesn't mesh with the wiki colors at all. If I'm checking out a page, it's a tad distracting.

Well, if you are logged in, the Fandom navigation bar has less distracting colours than if you are logged out at least.

Probably this will need to be fixed sometime in the future, but the new layout has some spacing problems when you group gifs together.

You see, with oasis putting gifs next to each other (in a left-right left-right formation) would result in this.

But with the new layout, the same formation generates an awkward space between the GIfs and I don't know how to remove it, if it's even possible.

Moreover, you also need a GIF to close the bottom of the other four, because if you put text after them, it ends being enclosed within them.

I received a reply:

"This isn’t a problem with the skin this is a problem with what the user is doing.

Even in Oasis there were breakpoints at different widths which’d make that have an extra space (wider) or collapse down to one column (narrower), his subjective screen experience just happened to look good.

Now that FandomDesktop is flexible width he’s starting to see that.

This is why we recommend galleries."

You can still use it for a few weeks by adding "?useskin=oasis" at the end of wiki page addresses, but then it will disappear completely.

Back