• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Excalibur pronto question

Wokistan

Bioluminescent African American Working At The CIA
VS Battles
Administrator
Calculation Group
So, I just saw this description and was a bit confused. I'm not really familiar with fate so forgive me if I'm missing some sort of basic idea here. It seems one of the restrictions is rather vague and can possibly be problematic. That restriction is the one of "The battle must not involve personal gain."

Now, how exactly does fate define for personal gain?

This requirement seems to be contradictory to others such as "The battle must be to live," and "The battle must be to save the world," Since I assume those are things that Saber would want. However, wouldn't the very act of fighting in the first place be for personal gain? He's gotta be fighting for a reason. If self defense his gain is that he keeps living, if fighting for someone else it's obvious, etc. Hell, some people and philosophical views would argue that literally every action an individual takes is out of some sort of self interest.

So basically, how does this restriction ever get lifted?

Are they not fighting on someone's behalf when summoned as a Heroic Spirit? It would be fighting for someone else's gain, not their own.

Excalibur is likely connected to how Saber himself perceives things, if he believes his actions will save the world or aren't for himself, than they are likely to bypass those restrictions.

That's just my perspective on it, I'm not too knowledgeable on Fate beyond Zero and Stay Night.

Prom told me I was overthinking it, so maybe.

Wokistan said:
Prom told me I was overthinking it, so maybe.
I would agree with Prom, given that as Servants they generally do fight for their masters, so that is most likely fulfilling the clause.

Aside from what Abstractions said, it could also likely be rephrased as "The battle must not be for selfish reasons". So it refers to something more general as opposed to an "in-the-moment" king of thing.

Back