• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Ether Prescription - Sharla (Xenoblade) vs Ana Amari (Overwatch)

I know, I know... I said that I would be making Melia my next rep for Xenoblade VS. However, none but one actually got back to me on my situation, and when digging around in my back catalogue, Sharla vs Ana made me realise how fascinating some matchups can be - not for the usual 'power, bulk and speed' arguments, but for more interpretive and supportive reasons. Hence, the reason I have decided to post this thread today.

Obviously I've established communications with those familiar with Xenoblade's verse (as proven by the recently closed Shulk vs Kirito thread), but if there are any familiar with Overwatch as a verse, feel free to join. I haven't been as familiar with the verse ever since Blizzard kowtowed to China.

With that...

Firstly, I'd like to start with a query to the Overwatch verse crowd: is there any particular reason that Ana only has one power tier (9A) despite clear evidence that she can self-administer Nano Boost? Or is the amp that she gets so minimal, that it doesn't actually lift her out of that tier? Asking for clarification.

Secondly, I would also like to say that while Cool Off is registered as a weakness for Sharla, I don't think it's going to be that much of a problem for her, at least in the context of scenes we pull feats from. Why? Because she has a bit of a... reverse-Fiora thing going on. Whereas Fiora's Mechon dysfunctions that are seen quite blatantly in cutscenes (hell, it was basically a part of her arc), despite not coming back to bite her in gameplay, Sharla is the total opposite, where Cool Off is worked into Gameplay as a balance decision, despite over-exertion of the rifle never negatively affecting her in cutscenes (with arguably one exception open to interpretation). The game also assumes Gadolt's rifle as her default past the Ether mine, and we're given no evidence to believe that Gadolt (or even Otharon, for that matter) had to do the same as far as Cool Off is concerned.

As far as power tiers (yes, I said I wouldn't be focusing on this as much, so I'll try to be brief), I don't think Sharla's 5-A peak holds a lot of water. While I understand where the scans are coming from when putting Disciple Dickson at planet level, saying that the rest of the cast scales because they could take one or two hits from him is... sketchy logic for a couple of reasons. Firstly, the scene in question shows that Reyn took the hit for Sharla with Shield turned up, meaning that besides the brief shots with everyone on their knees being an implication, it's not actually shown that Sharla took any major damage from DD that wasn't already inflicted to other party members. With that, the other reason I find this 5-A scaling to be kinda sus is that in every scene leading up to the 2nd phase of the fight, Dickson was shown to be straight up not trying - mocking Fiora for her decision to inherent Mayneth's memories as opposed to her power, and making it abundantly clear how bored he is.

If you want to interpret the above paragraph as 'power equalised at 9A', feel free, but I don't personally like applying those kinds of rules, because it shuts down debate on a particular aspect of any VS MU. I'm for free speech, dammit.

Now, as far as this matchup in particular, I think the million dollar question is going to be whether Cure Round is enough to circumvent Biotic Grenade's heal-annulling abilities or not. If I had to give an opinion, I would say that she more than likely could for several reasons. While regen-annul is not something that the denizens of Bionis or Mechonis have necessarily had to contest before (outside of buff removal etc.), not only is the definition of what constitutes a debuff extremely broad in Xenoblade (everything from minor stat abnormalities to bleeding, implying that Cure Round's debuff immunity could be rid of heal negation), but there's a chance that a pre-applied Debuff Immunity could protect against it by accident.

I also like to envision the hypothetical matchup of Sharla vs Widowmaker, specifically focusing on the Venom Mine (poison being a common debuff in the Xenoblade universe). While it could be argued that Widowmaker's Venom Mine has the effect that it does on it's victims due to being an injestable substance, the laws of Ether in Xenoblade (and by extension, Ether Catalysts and Rifle Shells following a similar principle) have shown to circumvent the physical body to get inside what the poison would effect - as shown by the first meeting with Melia in Makna Forest with a 'pure crystal' Heal Round allowing her to come round. The rest of Sharla's support abilities based around maintaining health and status must follow a similar principle, and I have no reason to believe that this would drastically change due to the purity of the crystals in context.

However, I won't leave Ana fans too in the dark here, as the Overwatch staff have been eager to put out canonical details on the in-universe effects of stuff like the Bio-Grenade.

Ana also has a noteable speed tier advantage, allegedly being able to keep up with Tracer as far as reaction speed is concerned. Although Sharla being speed scaled to the ins-and-outs of various Mechon I do agree with in tandem (smaller scout units, and the M71 Tentacle Unit on the Bionis Leg / Gaur Plain being a couple of such examples, although the latter required Shulk's Speed Monado Art to be made possible). I'm not entirely sure how much I agree with her speed being scaled to Faces, however, what with her run-ins with Jade Face (Gadolt) only happening because of her denial at his face-turn (pun intended), and his final bout in Agniritha deliberately missing her due to the remnants of memories explained by Mayneth.

"I can take the smaller ones, but the rest would be like fighting Xord over and over."

In closing - Sharla has a notably better chance of winning due to Cure Round, a slight power advantage, and a more flexible movepool. However, I do have to caution around how I have taken liberties for the way that Sharla can protect against abilities like Bio-Grenade that can nab her regenerative arts. If there is some kind of interpretation of this fight where Ana can work around Heal and Cure Rounds, Ana is actually able to exploit that, and even potentially blitz Sharla speed-wise through olden-day scaling to Tracer. Quite a lot to think about on both sides.

Last edited:
Wut? Standard Battle Assumptions puts both characters at their strongest which means your throwing a not very haxxed 9-A against a 5-B who resists basically all of her offensive hax along with FTL speeds. Even if ya wanna use Sharla's weakest tier of High 8-C she will still be a lot stronger and I know ya probabaly wanna make this a "who's healing is better" debate buuuut thats for Fun and Games.

Wut? Standard Battle Assumptions puts both characters at their strongest which means your throwing a not very haxxed 9-A against a 5-B who resists basically all of her offensive hax along with FTL speeds. Even if ya wanna use Sharla's weakest tier of High 8-C she will still be a lot stronger and I know ya probabaly wanna make this a "who's healing is better" debate buuuut thats for Fun and Games.

Can I get some context on where the speed scaling to Shulk actually comes from? Because I have the sneaking suspicion that is because of the scene on the Bionis Leg (Spiral Valley) where Shulk applied Speed Art (and even then, I'm your skeptic as to where the FTL feats in the verse come from). Although I have to admit, I completely misread the fact that the FTL+ calc was even put there to begin with.

"A not very haxxed 9-A" which is precisely why I'm asking OW verse why she doesn't have a 2nd tier assuming Nano Boost is administered (if I answered my own question, then ok fine). And even then, I consider stuff like Bio Grenade Regen negation to be haxxy enough not to be considered 'not enough hax' (take a shot for every time I'm saying that word lol), to say nothing of things like hitscan scope (someone is going to bring up Gem slots again, and instead of regurgitating what I said about gameplay mechanics, I might as well bite).

I also didn't ask the question of 'who's healing is better' so much as 'who's healing can disrupt the other better or not', although I do acknowledge that this is a part of the debate we can have if you want. Something I neglected to mention is that, depending on how the nade is actually applied, Ana still gets her own healing (and its respective bonuses) out of the exchange. The only thing Sharla can really do about that is potentially fire a Tranquilliser off, of which Ana has basically the same of.

This is the thing about a lot of these debates - if we took these figures at face value instead of scrutinising them, half of these VS threads wouldn't be as long as they are. It's how those figures are applied, and in the context of their respective abilities that is what I want to make clear (hence, a more ability-focused MU chosen today).

sigh this belongs in fun and games first of all, second of all Ana's healing restored Soldier 76 from an ass beating from Reaper, it Heals damage from 9-As and is in regen terms its probably high-low or Mid-low

Can I get some context on where the speed scaling to Shulk actually comes from? Because I have the sneaking suspicion that is because of the scene on the Bionis Leg (Spiral Valley) where Shulk applied Speed Art (and even then, I'm your skeptic as to where the FTL feats in the verse come from). Although I have to admit, I completely misread the fact that the FTL+ calc was even put there to begin with.
There are a number of calcs regarding Xenoblade speed (and no the spiral valley speed feat wasn't even calced) and I'd recommend to go read them and if you disagree, make a thread about it.

"A not very haxxed 9-A" which is precisely why I'm asking OW verse why she doesn't have a 2nd tier assuming Nano Boost is administered (if I answered my own question, then ok fine). And even then, I consider stuff like Bio Grenade Regen negation to be haxxy enough not to be considered 'not enough hax' (take a shot for every time I'm saying that word lol), to say nothing of things like hitscan scope (someone is going to bring up Gem slots again, and instead of regurgitating what I said about gameplay mechanics, I might as well bite)
The Bio Grenade null is resisted due to it being classified as Power null which Sharla resists. If you have an issue with how stuff like ether gems for example are used then I'd recommend to make a CRT on the wiki's standards as that is how we treat every game here and until then the Ether gems are still valid for use.

I also didn't ask the question of 'who's healing is better' so much as 'who's healing can disrupt the other better or not', although I do acknowledge that this is a part of the debate we can have if you want. Something I neglected to mention is that, depending on how the nade is actually applied, Ana still gets her own healing (and its respective bonuses) out of the exchange. The only thing Sharla can really do about that is potentially fire a Tranquilliser off, of which Ana has basically the same of.
I'll repeat, for a match like who's healing is better I'd recommend to make a Fun and Games thread on it. While its a Vs thread its an actual debate on who would win in a fight and thus with Standard Battle Assumptions at play, Sharla is 5-B while Ana is only 9-A.
This is the thing about a lot of these debates - if we took these figures at face value instead of scrutinising them, half of these VS threads wouldn't be as long as they are. It's how those figures are applied, and in the context of their respective abilities that is what I want to make clear (hence, a more ability-focused MU chosen today).
If by figures you mean their stats then I'd recommend you to follow threads who include characters such as Rimuru Tempest, Anos, BlazBlue in general, etc for most ability focused Vs debates. Regardless of those characters though, this battle is not very ability focuses in the slightest. As mentioned before Sharla resists every hax Ana could use.

If by figures you mean their stats then I'd recommend you to follow threads who include characters such as Rimuru Tempest, Anos, BlazBlue in general, etc for most ability focused Vs debates. Regardless of those characters though, this battle is not very ability focuses in the slightest. As mentioned before Sharla resists every hax Ana could use.

If I'm going to say anything to this bit in particular, it's that I should rephrase what I said as 'these characters aren't that powerful (sub tier 5-ish) in proportion to the amount of abilities that they have'. In this instance, Sharla has 16 applicable arts, and yet as far as power in any context, is argued to be the weakest amongst the cast.
Lumping the bottom 4 that aren't Shulk/M-Fiora/Melia into the same tier for the same reason just doesn't quite sit right with me (and yes, I know, 'make other threads'. I would bring it up in tier hax adjustments lest I get accused of necroing again)

Jokes on you, but there's no scalable tier 8 feats for overwatch atm unfortunately.

But ok the only thing for Ana here I can see is sleep hax.

1. Does Sharla resists sleep hax?

If not then

2. How long sleep hax takes if ignore game mechanics only where sleep hax works only for a couple of seconds?

Jokes on you, but there's no scalable tier 8 feats for overwatch atm unfortunately.

But ok the only thing for Ana here I can see is sleep hax.

1. Does Sharla resists sleep hax?

If not then

2. How long sleep hax takes if ignore game mechanics only where sleep hax works only for a couple of seconds?
The only time we have seen sleephax used is against Reaper who laughed it off

Oh wait, Sharla resists sleep hax.

Well gg.
If that's by Gems, I'd contest you on that.

If that's by Cure Round, it depends on the timing she decides to set the round off. And even then, I imagine a version of the fight where they both get hit by their respective tranquillisers at the same time, stalemating the fight.

How long do standard battle assumptions assume inactive participants equate to a loss again, a week?

How long do standard battle assumptions assume inactive participants equate to a loss again, a week?

24 hours incapped, 2 weeks bfred iirc

24 hours incapped, 2 weeks bfred iirc

Victory Conditions: Death of the opponent, removing the opponent from the battlefield for at least one week (BFR), knocking the opponent out for at least one hour, or incapacitating the opponent by putting him in a state in which he can not harm the other fighter(s) for over a day, are to be assumed as victory conditions.

For reference:

SharlaTranq.png

AnaTranq.png

And just so we're on the same page when I go to put Reyn VS threads (either Jeane or Goofy), would scaling Reyn/Sharla to Kino/Nene be fair game, since they're kind of the same character for functional purposes?

Back