• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Discussion and Chat Moderators Pages (Staff only)

Andytrenom

She/Her
VS Battles
Administrator
There's a problem with the Discussion Moderator and Chat Moderator pages that I would like to discuss, and that problem is...they don't exist.

Content Moderators, Administrators and the Calculation Group all have pages describing the responsibilities and prerequisites for appointment of the respective groups, but Discussion Moderators and Chat Moderators seemingly don't which doesn't seem right. What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Kavpeny planned to write the pages in question long ago, but never found the time to do so, and now he has left the wiki.

I would appreciate help with writing them in a similar format to the others, as I am constantly tired, distracted, and overworked, which makes it difficult to focus properly.

If others write drafts, I can help out with cleaning them up.

Anyway, as I tend to say within staff promotion interviews, discussion moderators help out with evaluating content revision threads, calming down discussions that have gone out of hand, and reporting rule-violations. It is fairly straightforward work.

Chat moderators help out with making sure that the people within the chat follow the rules and do not get out of hand, and report the ones that go too far. It is also pretty straightforward.

We might also have to revise the existing pages a bit, if they contain outdated policies. For example, long leaves of absence tend to be accepted without resignations, as long as explanations are provided to the bureaucrats.

I mean

Joking though he may be, PaChi is sorta right. As far as I know, Discussion Mod is a position granted when there is not a more fitting place to put someone but it is believed they may have some utility. Generally peacekeeping becomes this utility, trying to keep threads from becoming explosive supernovas of bickering. If a page is needed, so be it, but it'd be... big, for Discussion Mod.

Chat Mod should get one but it would be relatively simple, on the flip side of my last statement, in that the main requirements are being in chat often and not being a horrible degenerate. Even then, the latter is negotiable depending on the type of degeneracy.

Actually, discussion moderators are usually selected due to a combination of their ability for rational levelheaded analysis and overall reliability.

Chat moderators are selected due to being often in the chat and being well-behaved and willing to help out with keeping order there.

In my headcanon I am discussion mod because reasons spoken of only in the eldritch cosmos

And... didn't know that. Huh.

Mr. Bambu said:
Chat Mod should get one but it would be relatively simple, on the flip side of my last statement, in that the main requirements are being in chat often and not being a horrible degenerate. Even then, the latter is negotiable depending on the type of degeneracy.
I take offense to that later.

On the topic at hand, i dont think we really need a page for Chat Mods. The job is really straight foward and explainend with a single sentence, but a page for Discussion Mods is probably needed. I refrain from doing the writing work tho, due to my lackluster english, cant help you on that side sadly.

I know what your kind of degeneracy is, Witchy

As others have said, I too, think that the Discussion Mod is about as self-explanatory as one can get, moderating discussions. Chat mods too, imo.

As much as I want to help by writing the pages, It seems to be something that should be written by a bureaucrat or a staff member with a similar amount of knowledge regarding what the duties of the relevant staff members are.

Must find a way to help out in a different manner i guess.

Well, I am too tired, distracted and overworked to focus properly, but can help with cleaning up the structure, and weeding out mistakes.

I agree with creating discussion Mod and Chat Mod pages; it only seems fair and it helps newcomers learn how to be good staff members in said position and help those already in said position to be better at their job.

While Chat Mods do have very few things, Discussion Mods on the other hand do have quite a bit of rules and guidelines. This includes, when to remove posts, when to close threads, clearing up what's going wrong when flame wars are happening, ect.

I feel like discussion mod and chat mod are pretty self explanatory as is, and we can always just ask people questions about things anyways. I'm not gonna like crusade against making pages though. I just don't think it's necessary.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
I agree with creating discussion Mod and Chat Mod pages; it only seems fair and it helps newcomers learn how to be good staff members in said position and help those already in said position to be better at their job.
While Chat Mods do have very few things, Discussion Mods on the other hand do have quite a bit of rules and guidelines. This includes, when to remove posts, when to close threads, clearing up what's going wrong when flame wars are happening, ect.
I agree

Now that you mentioned it, there isn't a page for bureaucrats either.

Well, bureaucrats are basically administrators with additional responsibilities to see to the organisation and/or cohesion of the community, along with finding new appropriate staff members to recruit. There wouldn't be much else to say.

So, is anybody willing to write drafts for the pages? I could write some basic explanations myself, but the problem is that the format Kavpeny wrote was so elaborate and ill-suited for my writing style.

I can maybe replicate some of his writing style, but my main problem would be giving examples of what types of problems a discussion mod may have to handle and explaining all the relevant responsibilities ,benefits and prerequisites.

Yes, I suppose that I will have to try to handle it, but I won't be able to do it in a very elaborate manner, due to severe time constraints.

Hmm. The removal policies in the previous pages definitely seem a bit harsh. If we had followed them to the letter, we would have had to remove people left and right, which would have been unworkable for the stability of the wiki, to say the least.

Question. Do we need to mention the exact number of pages in the content mod and Admin. Just saying "over 17,000" I feel would get the point across and won't need to be updated all the time.

It isn't updated all the time. It is an automatic script that states the exact number of pages.

In any case, I have written a draft for a Discussion Moderators page, and linked to it in the wiki navigation bar. Feel free to provide input regarding how it can be improved.

Uhm Ant I think you copied too much off the admin page...at some points it even refers to them as "Administrators".

Is there anything else that I should specifically change? I only copied the parts that apply to discussion moderators as well.

I kinda feel the introduction doesn't flow as well as the other pages, I will see if I can think of anything to improve it.

Btw shouldn't "required to participate in site wide revisions" also apply to content mods if they apply to discussion mods?

Yes, content moderators should preferably also take part in them.

Does the "being able to resolve queries brought by members" need to be a requirement though?

Back