• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Discussion about the Hong Kong 97 verse and similar verse which possibly have controversial political contents

Status
Not open for further replies.
We use the common names, and the localized names are far from common. So can we please stop this largely irrelevant discussion?

We don't seem to have a rule against verses that infringe copyright, unless we plan to make them. Think that ends up deleting some SCPs and that jojo guy who pulls in people from other places too. Comics also have had some sketchy areas with copyright iirc. It's not illegal to show pictures of dead bodies, I have no clue where this is coming from.

I'm not married to the verse or whatever but if we're going to delete it we should find a reason that doesn't cause more problems than it solves.

@Ant We didn't delete this. Zark didn't seem to want to discuss it further last I remember. Wokistan responded to some points about copyright.

@Crzer Such as?

Well, I personally still think that this is below the standards that we should strive for in this wiki, but suppose that we need an acceptable motivation.

Wokistan said:
We don't seem to have a rule against verses that infringe copyright, unless we plan to make them. Think that ends up deleting some SCPs and that jojo guy who pulls in people from other places too. Comics also have had some sketchy areas with copyright iirc. It's not illegal to show pictures of dead bodies, I have no clue where this is coming from.

I'm not married to the verse or whatever but if we're going to delete it we should find a reason that doesn't cause more problems than it solves.
IMO, the problem is not about if the game is offical or not, but rather if the game can be considered by any meaning fictional enough for being counted as a verse. Even if one does try treating it as satire as an argument for it's validation, the game fails to meet the critera.

Here are some reasons as why this is the case: First, outside of Chin being a random relative of Bruce Lee, Deng Xiaoping getting resurrected as a cyborg and maybe the music, nothing really adds to the absurdist humour required for a solid satire. Neither the wording nor the art of the game really supports its agenda either.

Second, the photos added to the game show real dead people for cheap shock effects, further breaking the immersion and being counter-productive in general.

Third, according to this interview https://www.scmp.com/culture/arts-e...r-worlds-worst-video-game-hong-kong-1997-ends with the creator of HK 97, he had stated that he doesn't want to be questioned about his game anymore. By deleting this verse, we could help him not getting even more attention than he receives right now.

BTW, I'm not trying adding fule for a flame war, rather I'd like giving a different point of view on this topic.

Are you saying Deng Xiao Peng being turned into a giant robot isn't fictional enough to be a verse? Excuse me. I guess everything that so much as references reality is banned.

Stuff that references reality while having some absurd stuff like people turning into giant robots surely is fictional enough. I'm quite sure cheap shock humor isn't banned either.

Their does not seem to be an actual reason to remove other then people not really liking it. Can we just close this? Shock Humor is Fine, Bootlegs can be ok, and references are fine. Not one reason shown has any relevance to anything. This is nothing but a flame war to remove two harmless and quite nice profiles.

Eh, I wouldn't call them harmless or nice, but I agree there's no real reason to delete it beyond "I don't like it".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back