• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Discord tags in global profiles

Ogurtsow

He/Him
VS Battles
Retired
I'm here to inform you about one recent update on Fandom: now everyone can add their Discord tag to their global profile. If you use Discord quite often, I'd recommend you to add your Discord tag to your global profile.This way we kill two hares at once. Firstly, it will be easier to detect impersonators on Discord servers with many VBW members (Impersonators couldn't add their own Discord tags to the global profiles of members they're impersonating). Secondly, there will be less posts on message walls like «Do you have Discord?», «What's your Discord tag?», and so on (Since Discord tags will be seen in global profiles).

Discord tags update

WeeklyBattles said:
Er...hate to play devil's advocate but wouldnt this be a really easy method for trolls to track us down?
Trolls couldn't affect you there as long as you are neithter friends, nor in the same server(s) with them. Because without that, they couldn't DM you. They only can send you a friend request, nothing more. When some strangers add me on Discord, the first thing I do after accepting the requests is asking who they are. Most of suspicious persons I've encountered in PMs are simply spammers who post links to their own servers, and they are in the same servers as I. I really don't mind personally.

I've seen YouTubers with hundreds of thousands of subscribers who have posted their own Discord tags in public. Keep in mind that the more popular you are, the more both supporters and opponents you have.

Yeah, plus my Fanfiction is public in case users want to PM me. And if I do get trolls, I can just block them. And I especially like other staff to feel welcome to add me as well as users who are good friends.

I agree that this seems too dangerous for my taste.

I would just get awkward if I get friend requests that I don't have interest in sent to me

And I'm not sure if my nobody status is still intact now so what if that turns out to be a legit possibility?

Yes. There are trolls who target us just for being staff members here. It seems like an unnecessary risk.

I have no problem with this. If the dude who added me, start spamming links or something else, I will just block him. Added mine

Well, just keep in mind that you may be targeted under false premises, spied on, screen-captured, have your private potentially controversial comments leaked, and have your face revealed to the public via an accidentally accepted video chat. It has happened to a few of us before.

Again, I definitely do not recommend this, especially not for our staff.

I don't think I am important enough to this things happen to me. Staff members should not use this, as you said, bad things tend to happen with them if personal information comes out

The trolls have repeatedly messaged us with screencaptures of controversial comments from regular members, so yes, it technically can.

I think if somebody claims to be from the wiki, then we should ask them what's their username here. If they can't apply their tag to the global profile, then it's likely an imposter.

Not sure if I'm going to add one because I already listed my tag in my user profile.

I mean, I have a Discord, but I need to see if I can even still access it. Aside from that though, ehh, I'll think about adding it. Probably not, but I may change my mind.

Back