• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Joker scales to Adam Kadmon who transcend the Tree of Life, while Nanashi scales to "Unrestrained" Stephen. It depends on where you scale "Unrestrained" Stephen but...I will give this one to Joker due to higher transcendence (I'm not implying that Adam Kadmon>Stephen).

As far as I know this all comes down to interpretation on weather you believe Adam Kadmon > Stephen or Adam Kadmon < Stephen. (Personally I believe Adam Kadmon > Stephen) However the wiki believes that AK = Stephen and if we are to use that for scaling then Nanashi should win. Nanashi triumphed against an all out Stephen while Joker barely survived against an all out AK, Nanashi had less help (I believe he had only 4 people helping him?) while Joker had like 8, and Nanashi won by sheer brute force while Joker had to manipulate a weak spot. So going by what the wiki believes, I think Nanashi wins.

I don't think so...if Diamond Realm Nanashi=Adam Kadmon then character like Aleph is top 3 strongest, which I don't think that's the case.
According to these comments, the scaling chain looks something like this:

The Great Reason > Stephen and Adam Kadmon > Monado Mandala > The Great Will/YHVH’s Universe > The Tree of Life = Canopus > Keter = Brahman (Manifestation) = Yog-Sothoth > Brahman (Spaceship) = Polaris/Akashic Records > Binah & Chokma = Baseline 1-A

Last edited:
According to these comments, the scaling chain looks something like this:
Can't click on the link.
The Great Reason > Stephen and Adam Kadmon > Monado Mandala > The Great Will/YHVH’s Universe > The Tree of Life = Canopus > Keter = Brahman (Manifestation) = Yog-Sothoth > Brahman (Spaceship) = Polaris/Akashic Records > Binah & Chokma = Baseline 1-A
Yes that's true, but Nanashi has never fought a "full power" Stephen while Joker has damaged and tanked attack from enraged Adam Kadmon. The Stephen Nanashi fought is only playing around with them, you can see that he doesn't even has a defeat animation on the DLC.

Last edited:
Can we even use scaling as a valid method of evaluation in this scenario? This isn't like the lower tiers, where we can extrapolate a specific measurement for a character's AP, durability, etc. They're both the same number of layers into the same tier. I'm almost certain that their statistics would be identical in that case. Even if that wasn't true, would Reactive Evolution not level the playing field anyway?

And then he contradict himself by saying "I might not be able to hold back. Apologize in advance" which indicate that he's still holding back, this is then supported by the end of the battle where Stephen doesn't even seem to be remotely damaged by any of Messiahs attacks.

"I might not be able to hold back. Apologize in advance" which indicate that he's still holding back,
Stephen is explaining how he's having trouble restricting himself. If anything, that's more evidence to support that he is fighting at full power.

then supported by the end of the battle where Stephen doesn't even seem to be remotely damaged by any of Messiahs attacks
How does this support anything? All it means is that full-power Stephen has high durability.

And then he contradict himself by saying "I might not be able to hold back. Apologize in advance" which indicate that he's still holding back, this is then supported by the end of the battle where Stephen doesn't even seem to be remotely damaged by any of Messiahs attacks.
He is absolutely not holding back. He verbatim says this is the first time he’s ever had to go all out.

The reason why the battle was ceased is because Stephen was sufficiently pleased with the potential they displayed, the very same potential he suggests can surpass The Great Reason. So, no, he is not holding back. Does he still scale above them? Certainly.

Wasn't Stephen casual and also just testing the Messiahs? Unlike AK, who was out to kill the Phantom Thieves
This is also not true at all, Maruki had no intention of killing the Phantom Thieves - especially because he’s not even evil. He just says if he wins, he overrides all of existence for his reality, a world without suffering.

He is absolutely not holding back. He verbatim says this is the first time he’s ever had to go all out.

The reason why the battle was ceased is because Stephen was sufficiently pleased with the potential they displayed, the very same potential he suggests can surpass The Great Reason. So, no, he is not holding back. Does he still scale above them? Certainly
That actually makes sense. Thanks, Luke and Milly. Though I think Joker still wins this one.

No, even Stephen isn't capable of doing that, not yet anyway. If we do that then every human on MegaTen would have it.
well, humans are said to have the most potential of all, so i can't see why not

of course not on EVERY human, but the deuteragonists and stuff? sure

Chad Nanashi beats Virgin Phantom Thieve to death, fighting a full power Stephen with just 4 people while Joker had to use 8 to fight AK is really a thing. And just as @MishimaBloodline said before, Nanashi defeated a full power Stephen relying just on brute force, he didn't really need to do that alone. Also with the new scaling Stephen probably is stronger than Kadmon(not sure though, sorry if I'm mistaken). I'm kinda suspicious here because I didn't have the opportunity to put my hands on P5 Royal yet, so I'll be sticking with Nanashi. Also I don't know how Persona scaling works, so yeah, that's it for me.

All Nanashi has to do here is not use Anarchy Earring

, fighting a full power Stephen with just 4 people while Joker had to use 8 to fight AK is really a thing. And just as @MishimaBloodline said before, Nanashi defeated a full power Stephen relying just on brute force
While this is true, it is important to understand that any human in Megami Tensei can easily reactively evolve and grow at an extremely accelerated rate in order to face adversity.

Also with the new scaling Stephen probably is stronger than Kadmon(not sure though, sorry if I'm mistaken).
I'm not sure where this notion comes from. There are major revisions being planned, but currently Stephen and AK are treated as being roughly equal.

Unless Nanashi's resistance to fate manipulation is comparable to the potency of Joker's (which I don't believe is the case, as Joker's fate manip can affect even Type 4 acausals), I believe the Phantom Thief takes this. I'll wait for more input, however.

While this is true, it is important to understand that any human in Megami Tensei can easily reactively evolve and grow at an extremely accelerated rate in order to face adversity.

I'm not sure where this notion comes from. There are major revisions being planned, but currently Stephen and AK are treated as being roughly equal.

Unless Nanashi's resistance to fate manipulation is comparable to the potency of Joker's (which I don't believe is the case, as Joker's fate manip can affect even Type 4 acausals), I believe the Phantom Thief takes this. I'll wait for more input, however.
You have a point there, but I'm afraid that I will have to show my point tomorrow gotta some work to do so see ya.

I promised you a reply, so here is.

Well, I think that we can say one thing for sure too. Nanashi has a better observation compared to Joker this combined to the fact that you've put there(every human can evolve and grow). If Nanashi had problems dealing with Joker then he'd possibly do the same he did against YHVH in order to adapt better to the fight. Not 100% because I don't know if Observation, in this case, would help Nanashi to develop some kind of resistance to Ren's fate manipulation. But also I think that it would help a lot since Nanashi has an insane reactive evolution and that's why I'm sticking with him. If he has resources that can help him evolve and get stronger during battle then he has the right hand. Also I believe that in the battle against Stephen his fate manipulation. resistance should be something at that point, even because Stephen would, somehow, try to abuse it since he was going full-power. So at the same time I see Ren's manipulation having an interesting effect on Nanashi, I see Nanashi's observation having a better effect on Joker. And even with resistance Joker would be affected since Nanashi's observation affected even Mr. Big Head. To finish this, Nanashi's observation managed to pull out a feat that not even Stephen was capable, giving a physical form to Hero's soul.

Nanashi has a better observation compared to Joker
Nanashi certainly has an advantage in this regard, but Joker has dealt with users of Type 2 Cognition before - namely Yaldabaoth and Maruki. While Maruki severely limited his use of Actualization against the PTs because of their propinquity, Joker does have methods of dealing with most applications of Cognition.

Not 100% because I don't know if Observation, in this case, would help Nanashi to develop some kind of resistance to Ren's fate manipulation.
(Just to clarify, they don't use Observation to rapidly evolve. Their RE/AD is simply an extension of certain characters' supernatural willpower). Joker's fatehax have already been shown to be effective against Takuto Maruki, who was reactively evolving during their fight.

If Nanashi had problems dealing with Joker then he'd possibly do the same he did against YHVH in order to adapt better to the fight.
I'm willing to bet that Nanashi's RE/AD would activate later than Joker's. The ability requires the user to have great resolve and be experiencing heightened emotions. If Nanashi is aware of the initial power gap between him and his opponent, which is likely to become apparent during the first moments of combat, then he'd have little reason to feel any consternation, thus preventing the ability from triggering.

I believe that in the battle against Stephen his fate manipulation. resistance should be something at that point, even because Stephen would, somehow, try to abuse it since he was going full-power.
Outside of being a Type 2 Cognition user, Stephen has no feats of fate manipulation. There's nothing to suggest he was using either ability on the Messiahs during their fight either.

And even with resistance Joker would be affected since Nanashi's observation affected even Mr. Big Head.
Adam Kadmon is layers above Mr. Big Head ontologically, and as stated before, Joker's fatehax were able to affect him.

Nanashi certainly has an advantage in this regard, but Joker has dealt with users of Type 2 Cognition before - namely Yaldabaoth and Maruki. While Maruki severely limited his use of Actualization against the PTs because of their propinquity, Joker does have methods of dealing with most applications of Cognition.

(Just to clarify, they don't use Observation to rapidly evolve. Their RE/AD is simply an extension of certain characters' supernatural willpower). Joker's fatehax have already been shown to be effective against Takuto Maruki, who was reactively evolving during their fight.
Okay, but Nanashi Observation stills far better because it's related to the Axiom itself, that is above Kadmon. Probably even better than Stephen since Stephen's observation wasn't enough to give form to Hero's soul as a stated before.

I'm willing to bet that Nanashi's RE/AD would activate later than Joker's. The ability requires the user to have great resolve and be experiencing heightened emotions. If Nanashi is aware of the initial power gap between him and his opponent, which is likely to become apparent during the first moments of combat, then he'd have little reason to feel any consternation, thus preventing the ability from triggering.
You have a good point there, he wouldn't feel so threatned to the point that he would fear Joker and then RE/AD. But still, I believe that his fate manipulation resistance must, somehow, scale with him, of course I cannot prove you this point, because for this I'd need someone that knows more. However, what I'm saying isn't that Joker's fatehax wouldn't work, I'm saying that just wouldn't be so effective. I don't know how much it affected Kadmon, but I presume it was kinda hard, since by what I saw you guys saying, he had a hard time dealing with him and had to manipulate Kadmon's weakness in order to win against him.

I'm starting to think that this would be like a Kadmon fight 2, or something around that. However, the "Kadmon" this time has a way better observation. And wait, you said Kadmon was evolving during their fight. Wasn't he stronger at that time on the fight? Like, before starting to lose or something. 'Cause if he was stronger than Joker(albeit comparable at some point) and was RE/AD, then the same goes for Nanashi that probably would do this on a higher scale. Because then he wouldn't need to fear him, thus not preventing him to evolve during their fight. Also Nanashi doesn't really need to fear someone to use Observation, because he dethroned YHVH by creating his own understanding about him, consequently he warped the reality base on his experience, making YHVH far weaker at that point, thus allowing him to be defeated. However, YHVH didn't lose instantly, he had chances to win, since we can still lose for him at that point of the fight, but Nanashi clearly had the right hand there. That's why I think this fight is interesting, both can affect each other at some point, but in the end they still having to rely on their own strengths and I think that's the moment where Nanashi shines.

Okay, but Nanashi Observation stills far better because it's related to the Axiom itself, that is above Kadmon.
The Axiom bestowed a special, empowered version of Observation (Type 2) to Nanashi, but the potency of the ability doesn't scale to The Axiom itself. Adam Kadmon's Observation is of comparable potency, as he occupies the same layer of existence as Diamond Realm Nanashi.

But still, I believe that his fate manipulation resistance must, somehow, scale with him, of course I cannot prove you this point, because for this I'd need someone that knows more.
Nanashi's resistance to fate manipulation simply comes from his ability to fight various demons who have jurisdiction over fate (such a Pisacas, who curse humans to die within nine months of meeting them). There's no evidence that Nanashi's fate resistance scales to his ontological standing, either. Joker's passive fate manipulation unbinds from any predetermined outcomes, which in the context of Megami Tensei, restricts beings who operate on a fundamentally different system of cause and effect. On a smaller scale, he's able to defy Chihaya's precognitive abilities, which are otherwise perfectly accurate.

However, what I'm saying isn't that Joker's fatehax wouldn't work, I'm saying that just wouldn't be so effective. I don't know how much it affected Kadmon, but I presume it was kinda hard, since by what I saw you guys saying, he had a hard time dealing with him and had to manipulate Kadmon's weakness in order to win against him.
It was an uphill battle, yes, but Maruki himself stated that he couldn't have won against the Phantom Thieves, even if he tried again. Regardless, Joker's fate manipulation is an entirely passive ability that Nanashi wouldn't be aware of.

And wait, you said Kadmon was evolving during their fight. Wasn't he stronger at that time on the fight? Like, before starting to lose or something. 'Cause if he was stronger than Joker(albeit comparable at some point) and was RE/AD,
I think you're misinterpreting me. Maruki was able to rapidly evolve during the fight, transforming his persona into Adam Kadmon.

Nanashi doesn't really need to fear someone to use Observation, because he dethroned YHVH by creating his own understanding about him, consequently he warped the reality base on his experience, making YHVH far weaker at that point, thus allowing him to be defeated.
Again, you're conflating Observation and RE/AD. The latter is activated through extreme willpower, emotion, and desire.

Okay, I indeed misunderstood the RE/AD, but I'm gonna say that you are the one misunderstanding the Observation now. Because in SMT it is not something necessarily related to strong feelings/emotions/desire. If you actually go on the Observation page you'll see this:

"The phenomenon of Understanding, also referred to as Observation or Cognition, refers to the a special ability inherent to the human race in Megami Tensei, which allows the masses to influence, shape and command reality itself based on their collective thoughts and beliefs, controlling the underlying informational backdrop of all existence, which is identical in substance to human thought, and thus able to be influenced by it."

It doesn't say anywhere on the page that it needs "extreme willpower, emotion, and desire". Maybe you're misunderstanding because indeed, these things can influence the Observation. But Observation does not necessarily needs this to act, and it acts passively it's not something they need to activate in order to change the aspects of reality(Which would make Joker unware of Nanashi's observation here). Maybe in Persona the observation comes exclusively from strong emotions/feelings/desire/willpower. However, on SMT it has way more to do with human thought, the way one comprehends the reality and thus shapes it to his favor, than it has with willpower/desire/strong feelings, they have their part of influence, but one doesn't need this to use Observation, since it's a passive hax just like Joker's fatehax.

Applying this knowledge we have on the fight we have that:

Joker and Nanashi are, somehow, equivalent to each other, fine. But how would Joker's fatehax prevent Nanashi from starting to comprehend his chances of winning that battle and thus making it happen? I know Joker's fatehax is mad, but Observation, in this case, is stronger. Even with the resistances, Observation managed affecting drastically a type 5 acausal, that also had resistance to Observation, plus his Observation managed to pull out a feat that not even Stephen that is = Kadmon did.

But considering he'd still being affected, since Nanashi's hax resistance, for some reason, doesn't scale to his current tiering(which implies his fate resistance would be meaningless), then we would be in a situation where both can affected each other hard to the point that the outcome will be decided by their combat capacities and that's when Nanashi outstands Ren, for the reasons we already discussed about. Because then we'd have a paradox like: Nanashi changes the reality, and then Joker fatehax change the outcome, rendering a inconclusive match or, as proposed, a match where battle's outcome will be decided by their strenght.

If you want to continue running in circles ok, I cannot prove you that Nanashi's observation will be effective , but also you can't prove me that Ren's fate manipulation wouldn't be affected by the Observation.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
"But how would Joker's fatehax prevent Nanashi from starting to comprehend his chances of winning that battle and thus making it happen?"

Also, I'm saying this assuming this is not a stomp match so Nanashi will, indeed, have chances of winning here. Even because if it was a stomp it'd be closed already or ma man here(@Milly_Rocking_Bandit) just would tell us to shut the **** up and then delete this.

I don’t care about Joker and don’t even believe he’s as high as he’s rated, which will be discussed in an upcoming CRT.
As expected from an average SMT Enjoyer.

HxwMqBw.png

but I'm gonna say that you are the one misunderstanding the Observation now. Because in SMT it is not something necessarily related to strong feelings/emotions/desire. If you actually go on the Observation page you'll see this:
It doesn't say anywhere on the page that it needs "extreme willpower, emotion, and desire". Maybe you're misunderstanding because indeed, these things can influence the Observation. But Observation does not necessarily needs this to act, and it acts passively it's not something they need to activate in order to change the aspects of reality(Which would make Joker unware of Nanashi's observation here). Maybe in Persona the observation comes exclusively from strong emotions/feelings/desire/willpower.
I never once asserted this? Here's what I said:
Again, you're conflating Observation and RE/AD. The latter is activated through extreme willpower, emotion, and desire.
The word "latter" refers to the second of two mentioned objects, which in this case is RE/AD.

But Observation does not necessarily needs this to act, and it acts passively it's not something they need to activate in order to change the aspects of reality(Which would make Joker unware of Nanashi's observation here).
I never asserted this either. That last part is just blatantly incorrect as well, given that Cognition and the "will of the masses" are mentioned a multitude of times throughout both vanilla Persona 5 and Royal. My point was that Nanashi would have no way of determining Joker has fate manipulation, as it isn't something that is actively used by Joker.

But how would Joker's fatehax prevent Nanashi from starting to comprehend his chances of winning that battle and thus making it happen?
I never said it would? When the battle begins, Nanashi would have an extremely noticeable advantage in terms of physical/magical prowess, which would become apparent as the battle continues. That's why Joker's RE/AD would activate and Nanashi's wouldn't.

I know Joker's fatehax is mad, but Observation, in this case, is stronger. Even with the resistances, Observation managed affecting drastically a type 5 acausal, that also had resistance to Observation
When did Cognition ever effect a Type 5 Acausal?

Observation managed to pull out a feat that not even Stephen that is = Kadmon did.
I think it's plausible a Messiah's Observation can potentially even surpass Stephens. However, I am suspicious whether that's a valid feat, or if there were other factors that prevented Stephen from reviving the Hero. Stephen links the Hero's soul to Nanashi's and begins to fight the latter, believing that Nanashi's experiences and actions as Messiah will help the Hero remember his role, thus resurrecting him. To me it seems more like Stephen lacked the knowledge and identity of a Messiah to revive the Hero, as opposed to the potency.

then we would be in a situation where both can affected each other hard to the point that the outcome will be decided by their combat capacities and that's when Nanashi outstands Ren, for the reasons we already discussed about.
Nobody in this thread has discussed the combat abilities of either character. If you're referring to raw power, we've already discussed RE/AD.

you can't prove me that Ren's fate manipulation wouldn't be affected by the Observation.
Joker's fatehax have already been shown to be effective against Takuto Maruki, who was reactively evolving during their fight.

Because then we'd have a paradox like: Nanashi changes the reality, and then Joker fatehax change the outcome, rendering a inconclusive match or, as proposed, a match where battle's outcome will be decided by their strenght.
I can agree with an incon, due to ambiguous nature of both abilities. The entire debate revolves around whether or not Joker's fate manipulation works is resilient against (potentially) enhanced Type 2 Cognition, which is hard to prove either way. 1-A matches aren't allowed to be added to profiles anyway, and, as Milly stated, Megami Tensei is undergoing major revisions.

I forgot Archetype Physiology grants Type 5.

By that logic, Joker's fate manipulation would also extend Type 5 Acausals as well, given how 1-A demons are still bound by fate.

I don’t care about Joker and don’t even believe he’s as high as he’s rated, which will be discussed in an upcoming CRT.
I wonder how high Joker would scale
Also I have a question, as today I was snooping around and found some interesting scans
The Schwartzwelt is a 1-A structure correct?
Well according to this scan is expands infinitely and has a ranking with multiple planes of existences stacked on top of each other
Would this mean that anything that scales above the Schwartzwelt in its entirely is High 1-A due to it being an infinite amount of 1-A transcendences ladder?

Back