• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Destruction Values of Glass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugarik

VS Battles
Calculation Group
Our source: http://web.archive.org/web/20170322...luttershit-sucks-and-we-need-something.34025/

Frag. should be based on shear strength on the material and v. frag on tensile strength. But our glass values are both based on its fracture toughness (0.75 - 1 MPa*m^0.5)

This is absolutely wrong since fracture toughness has different dimensions compared to stress/strength and multiplication of it by volume does not give you work period. Anyway, the actual tensile strength of glass is 7 MPa .

Minor correction: It is not true that we base violent fragmentation on tensile strength, it seems to be a common misconception. We should use the high-end shear strength or the uniaxial compressive strength for violent fragmentation, as you can see in the blog you linked as well as my blog.

So you would have to try to find values for the shear strength of class. If you can't, I suppose you'll have to take 0.5 of tensile strength as fragmentation and 0.6 of tensile strength as violent fragmentation as I did for materials I could not find shear strength (shear strength is usually 0.5 to 0.6 of tensile strength).

It is not true that we base violent fragmentation on tensile strength, it seems to be a common misconception.

Why is that?

I am not sure where the myth that we use tensile strength came from, but as you can see in the Naruto Forums blog you linked, it uses high-end shear strength or uniaxial compressive strength for violent fragmentation, as I think they decided that was the closest to violent fragmentation (tensile strength is completely a different thing).

I also used high-end shear strength/uniaxial compressive strength for violent fragmentation in my updated materials blog, which was accepted and used now.

Since shear strength is usually 0.5 to 0.6 of tensile strength, I would suggest to use 3.5 j/cc as fragmentation and 4.2 j/cc as violent fragmentation, unless you can find more accurate values for shear strength.

Guess glass is stronger than it looks. Right on par with the thinnest of woods. (Well, it's not really that strong tho).

Reducing glass to powder is a whole new ballpark tho. But that value's been there for a while now.

Why yes LMFAO

Glass already has a pulverization energy of 1000 J/cc so we're good there.

Ahh dang. I was hoping pulverizing glass would but harder than steel

So, should we ask other staff about coming here? Seems like changing Glass destruction value would have a decent effect

It is harder than steel. (not in the real world but that's what we use here)

But we already have the shear strength values for steel tho

Shear strength is 0.5-0.6 of tensile strength, which we already used to figure out the values.

Glass having a tensile strength of 7 MPa at its weakest...

Low-end of 0.5 (FRAG)- 3.5 MPa

High-end of 0.6 (V. frag)- 4.2 MPa

Comparable to some soft woods.

Ah.

Sad thing is, I found nothing. I googled. Nada. Naught. 0.

Only got the tensile strength.

Also we probably need a source on the fragmentation value of marble, as "according to Bambu" sounds dumb, and he doesn't recall where that comes from either.

I haven't been able to find stuff o not either. I've tried to research glass before to also find a vap value, but never found much on it

Nah we already have v. frag for marble based on uniaxial compressive strength and high-end shear strength (another source).

I think 9 j/cc is fine.

Once we find out the mere 200 pages that make any mention of glass.

Well I mean, like, I have a calc I've been holding that involves breaking glass, can I use this value or should I keep waiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back