• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Derailment of the rule violation reports threads

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
As you likely know, the rule violation reports threads are filling up quicker and quicker with complete nonsense that distracts from making actual warranted/serious reports and matter-of-fact sticking to the point.

It has been suggested that people who continue to derail the threads after repeatedly being warned about it should get a 1 week ban or so:

https://vsbattles.com/vsbattles/1770883#73

What do the rest of you think about including a mention of this at the top of the threads in question?

NOTE: STAFF ONLY

I think that this is not necessary, specially if the derailment is minor and quickly dealt with. I think that this is a knee-jerk reaction.

The RVR threads are completely out of control and filling up with 400 posts within a few days now. It is not workable in the long run. We must have some semblance of order in the wiki, and if we do not establish it, an increasing number of posts will continue to get more and more off-topic or otherwise irrelevant.

We're referring to those who constantly derail the rule violations thread despite being told multiple times to stop. Though, if we hakai'd derailed posts more often, that's also an option.

I'm leaning a bit towards just deleting posts that derail the thread, but if we have to ban, one week is more reasonable. Two weeks seem WAY too harsh for a few times derailing.

Okay. I will update the first post text to 1 week.

Let's see, if someone is participating in a rule violation thread, then it should be their responsibility to keep themselves acquainted with and obey the rules of this site themselves.

As such, it may not be that unreasonable to implement this rule and impose a a strict penalty for breaking it...but not with a two week ban, that's too much.

I changed it to a 1 week ban.

@Ant in that case I can support the new rule.

How exactly will this rule be worded though?

We can just mention something like this as a note in the first post of the threads:

"The discussion should be kept matter-of-fact/to the point and not be derailed with irrelevant nonsense. Such posts should preferably be removed by the staff, and if a member continues to derail after being repeatedly told to stop, he or she will be banned for 1 week."

I'm neutral on this.

I think that banning someone over this is a little extreme, even if they're persistently annoying. If they're being outright malicious then by all means, but most cases of derailment on the RVT are because of internal beef between users or user ignorance.

As for how to word the rule:

"Do not derail the Rule Violation Thread with irrelevant nonsense or internal disputes. It is solely for making serious, warranted reports of violations of the Site, Discussion, and Editing Rules and not for discussion or side comments. Failure to heed this warning will be met with a temporary ban."

I like Reppuzan's version of the rule.

Some small adjustments:

"Do not derail the Rule Violation Threads with irrelevant nonsense or internal disputes. It is solely for making serious, warranted reports of violations of the Site, Discussio, and Editing Rules, and not for discussion or side comments. Such posts should preferably be removed by the staff, and if a member continues to derail after being repeatedly told to stop, this will result in a temporary ban."

I also really like Reppuzan's version of the rule.

Also, I propose shortening the temporary ban. Perhaps to something like two days? That's enough time for someone to think and cool down.

I modified Reppuzan's version somewhat.

In retrospect, it is probably best to not be too specific with the ban period beyond that it should be rather brief. It should likely depend on how extreme each case is.

What about my modified version?

Antvasima said:
In retrospect, it is probably best to not be too specific with the ban period beyond that it should be rather brief. It should likely depend on how extreme each case is.
I agree.

Okay, so is it fine if I place that text in the first post of the current RVR thread?

Perhaps we should inform members who are derailing our RVR threads via their message walls. If they won't stop, then we should block them for 1 week, but I'm fine with a more long period.

@Antvasima

Yes, people should know about this.

Okay. I will add he text segment.

Back