• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Deku VS The Black Swordsman (11-10-0)

30% Deku and Black Swordsman Guts will be used,

Guts has access to the Berserker Armor,

Starting distance is 10 m,

Battle takes place in The Beast's Forest,

and Speed is equalized.

Deku's AP is 191.295 Tons of TNT, higher with Fa Jin

Guts's AP is 119.07 Tons of TNT, higher with Berserker Armor

Izuku Midoriya: 11
Guts: 10
Inconclusive:

My-Hero-Academia-Dark-Deku-765x1024.jpg.webp
cbr5ge3o74o01.jpg

Last edited:
This is an interesting matchup, though some details should probably be added, such as whether or not Deku has all of the user's Quirks since when he used 30% during the war, he didn't have access to either Float or Danger Sense until later during his fight with Tomura and didn't have Fa Jin or Smokescreen until a month or so after the war.

However, even with his extra Quirks, I think I'm going to give this to the Black Swordsman. Guts has shown a far, FAR greater degree of stamina and determination than Deku, constantly fighting against Apostles even when broken and bloodied, even hacking his own arm off without any visible signs of pain. He's even let himself be injured in order to get an opening for an attack. Not only that, but Guts has been fighting his entire life: he's faced many more enemies than Deku ever has and is a master swordsman, who is also skilled in different fields of combat such as knife throwing, his arm cannon with different weapons, and even his miniature explosives. Deku has also never fought a swordsman before, so he has no idea how to properly fight against one. I think that with the Dragonslayer, Guts would probably need only one or two clean hit on Deku to mortally wound him.

This is an interesting matchup, though some details should probably be added, such as whether or not Deku has all of the user's Quirks since when he used 30% during the war, he didn't have access to either Float or Danger Sense until later during his fight with Tomura and didn't have Fa Jin or Smokescreen until a month or so after the war.

However, even with his extra Quirks, I think I'm going to give this to the Black Swordsman. Guts has shown a far, FAR greater degree of stamina and determination than Deku, constantly fighting against Apostles even when broken and bloodied, even hacking his own arm off without any visible signs of pain. He's even let himself be injured in order to get an opening for an attack. Not only that, but Guts has been fighting his entire life: he's faced many more enemies than Deku ever has and is a master swordsman, who is also skilled in different fields of combat such as knife throwing, his arm cannon with different weapons, and even his miniature explosives. Deku has also never fought a swordsman before, so he has no idea how to properly fight against one. I think that with the Dragonslayer, Guts would probably need only one or two clean hit on Deku to mortally wound him.
So I guess that's a vote for Guts?

From what I have seen he is given all his quirks in this battle. And while I do agree that guts is much more skilled, I don't think that alone would win him this battle. Firstly he'd need more than 1 or 2 clean hits, according to Gut's page, his AP is equal to the God Breath, which is 119 tons of tnt, while Deku's AP as stated on his page is much stronger than his 20% or 127 tons of tnt, meaning Deku has the AP and durability advantage over Guts as even if we assume he uses the Berserker armor, the Ap would be >119 tons, and >127 tons respectively. Smokescreen doesn't do much other then let deku have a get out of jail free card or two. Fa-jin allows him to store up huge amounts of energy, and while it doesn't have a definitive modifier it definitely gives him a large AP and Durability boost. Danger Sense would alert of many attacks, as it sense intent of hostility towards him. Also, Deku out-ranges Gut's with hundreds of meters worth of black-whip to play around with, meaning if he does truly get outmatched in melee combat, it isn't impossible for him to go back with superior LS (Class M vs SH/Class 50) and Rag-doll him.

Last edited:
No offense, but this is quite an flawed argument for Guts's favor.
Do note that I am not casting my votes yet in this matchup, I'm just addressing the arguments and what I think of them.

Guts has shown a far, FAR greater degree of stamina and determination than Deku, constantly fighting against Apostles even when broken and bloodied
It is true that Guts may have better stamina, but this is a one-sided argument that doesn't even address Deku's capabilities, even if it is true that Guts had a much worse situation than Deku did.

Constantly fighting even when broken and bloodied... isn't something to be proud of when comparing to Deku, somebody who fights with all of his limbs broken and suffering attacks of similar magnitudes as his own.
Constantly fighting is also something that Deku had to go through during the "Dark Deku" arc, where it was stated that he had extremely minimal amount of rest, fighting villains on air, water and land.

even hacking his own arm off without any visible signs of pain
Deku breaks his own arms all the time. It's different from stabbing your own arm, but I'm not really sure how this is something that would be relevant in the fight, as both of them are willing to harm their own body and keep fighting.

He's even let himself be injured in order to get an opening for an attack.
Same as above. This literally applies to Deku as well.

Not only that, but Guts has been fighting his entire life: he's faced many more enemies than Deku ever has and is a master swordsman
This is true, like I said above. Guts has the battle experience advantage so I agree, but it's not like Deku is new to fighting to death either.

who is also skilled in different fields of combat such as knife throwing, his arm cannon with different weapons, and even his miniature explosives. Deku has also never fought a swordsman before, so he has no idea how to properly fight against one.
This one is completely false, courtesy of one of MHA's most popular villain. Who happens to use swords and knife throwing. Aside from that, he has experience fighting against a girl with knives and other stabby things, a guy who sprouts really sharp spikes from the ground, and a guy that makes explosions, as well as an assassin that uses a sniper that fires what is essentially a cannonball in terms of bullets.

Deku wouldn't be bewildered fighting a swordsman at all.

As it stands, Guts has the advantage on experience and possibly endurance, but the latter doesn't really have much of a gap. Serpico did pretty well against Guts and he has nowhere near the experience nor endurance as Guts (and Deku especially with endurance).

Oh yea, I forgot about Stain. My bad, can't believe one of the most compelling antagonists of MHA and one of the best fights in the series slipped my mind. You know what, I change my vote to Deku. If he has all his extra Quirks, then I think that his versatility with them would be too much for Guts to handle. If Guts had the Berserker Armor on, that would be a different story, but yea, I don't think Guts could fend against Deku.

Last edited:
Oh yea, I forgot about Stain. My bad, can't believe one of the most compelling antagonists of MHA and one of the best fights in the series slipped my mind. You know what, I change my vote to Deku. If he has all his extra Quirks, then I think that his versatility with them would be too much for Guts to handle. If Guts had the Berserker Armor on, that would be a different story, but yea, I don't think Guts could fend against Deku.
Vote changed

The comment above didn't provide reasons as to why Deku wins though... what is everyone voting based on?

based on his multitude of quirks i assume.

I'm not casting a vote but I'll be following.. Though I fear it'll be grace before an argument for Guts comes around...

I think this would be more fair if Guts had access to the Berserker Armor.
Now THAT would be an interesting fight. If Guts did indeed have the Berserker Armor, then I think it'd lean more in favor of Guts. Not only does the Berserker Armor drastically enhance his physical abilities, but it increases his stamina to ridiculous levels. He could literally keep going until the last drop of blood: there's no way that Deku could outlast that. Even more, Guts can't feel any pain in this form, so he could just keep on attacking Deku with nothing held back. While Deku can still think rationally and for the most part move despite experiencing immense pain as well, it still has an effect on him, and I think eventually he'd be worn down. Guts' body might be torn apart, and half of his hair could literally turn white, but I still think he'd win with the Berserker Armor. But unless the key's changed, Deku would still win against base Guts.

Yeah, I more or less agree with that.
Against Black Swordsman Guts, I'm leaning in favor of Deku due to his versatility and stat advantage.

I think this would be more fair if Guts had access to the Berserker Armor.
Well, if it makes the fight fairer as well as more interesting, I'll allow it. I changed the match stipulation where Guts now has access to the Berserker Armor. (Funny enough I did contemplate prior whether Guts should have the armor or not but I wanted to hear what Berserk supporters thought of the thread in its current state) So I guess that means the match may have to be restarted

Also I am voting for Deku (if it hasn't been counted)
Hey guys, to make the battle less one-sided and more interesting I decided to add a stipulation where Guts now has access to the Berserker Armor. I hope you guys don't mind but can you vote again?

I will now vote Guts FRA via vastly superior stamina and insane power boost via Berserker Armor.

Sure Deku is more versatile, but Guts will outlast and outclass him the moment he puts the armor on. At that point there isn't really much Deku can do.

Guts also gets faster with the armor, so things will really begin to turn once he activates it.

Hey guys, to make the battle less one-sided and more interesting I decided to add a stipulation where Guts now has access to the Berserker Armor. I hope you guys don't mind but can you vote again?
Not very sure what Berserker armor grants as I’m not fully caught up on Berserk

Not very sure what Berserker armor grants as I’m not fully caught up on Berserk
Berserker Armor gives Guts Immortality (Type 2)/Insane Stamina (Will not die until every last drop of blood is spilled), Massive Power Boost, Limited Healing (His body will basically pull itself back together if his arms/legs are broken or put out of place and stuff), He Feels no pain, and he is Bloodlusted/Berserk

Berserker Armor gives Guts Immortality (Type 2)/Insane Stamina (Will not die until every last drop of blood is spilled), Massive Power Boost, Limited Healing (His body will basically pull itself back together if his arms/legs are broken or put out of place and stuff), He Feels no pain, and he is Bloodlusted/Berserk
If so then Guts takes this

what reasons though

Back