• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Infinite-sized DC Comics universes

Status
Not open for further replies.
To note, as we know, "infinite" can refer to how it is ever-growing, meaning that even sources that do not lie may not can mean this and say the truth w/o being hyperbolic. If they mean infinite as in a set size, they may or may not be hyperbolic depending on context and one's interpretation, but calling the unverse of all things infinite is pretty much the most used hyperbole in human history, even by sources that try to teach about it.

If there is undeniable proof of it being infinite in Marvel or DC then sure, it would be, but when higher implications don't hold up like characters ending up with infinite speed or ends of the universe being proven to exist then that creates issues. If infinite speed were inconsistent (As it is) I would be willing to believe that worldbuilding wise the universe is infinite but feats that give off infinite speed because of it are outliers. Ends of the universe existing are another deal entirely and the universe can't be infinite with them. If it needs to be said, then yes this refers to the universe itself having limits rather than the stuff within it.

And yes this should be a thread for each verse and 1 at a time, that this will become more apparent later is an issue that can be skipped.

Infinity can have an edge, imagine a finite line extends to infinity, the beginning of the line would be an edge
When discussing area and by proxy coordinates, you will use a line, not a ray. You defined a ray there, mate, which requires there to be a source.

A line will extend in both directions and thus there isn’t a beginning.

I mean haven’t we ignored the edge thing? Like a lot of feats involve covering all of an infinite space or traversing their entirety in finite time and yet those are valid

considering the volume of these statements I’d have to think carefully. I do agree DC should be it’s own thread, especially since continuities may have different views

When discussing area and by proxy coordinates, you will use a line, not a ray. You defined a ray there, mate, which requires there to be a source.

A line will extend in both directions and thus there isn’t a beginning.
Why would the line always extend in both directions? If it extends in 1 direction to infinity, it would still be infinite

I don’t understand why it would make heralds feats all of a sudden not usable because were about to consider the marvel universe to be infinitr

No it won't if I have 5cm line and add more length to one side of the line, the other wouldn't extend
It would, if you added 2 cm you now have a 7 cm line SEGMENT.

Like, this is not a complex or obscure concept, this is 8th grade maths.
And there are an infinite number of numbers between 1 and 2, and 1 and 2 are the edges
When you're talking macro-scale, the "infinite numbers" become negligible.

I mean haven’t we ignored the edge thing? Like a lot of feats involve covering all of an infinite space or traversing their entirety in finite time and yet those are valid

considering the volume of these statements I’d have to think carefully. I do agree DC should be it’s own thread, especially since continuities may have different views

This is a DC thread. Why is Marvel being brought up in this thread in the first place?

Sure, agree I guess
Some backing statements of infinite DC universes I have lying around:
and on the topic of the DC universe; the DC universe itself has been stated to be multi-dimensional layered beyond 11 dimensions (another example) and only separated by different rates of vibrations (all sources are provided in the imgur links). So shouldn't destroying a DC universe equate to low 2-C?

Last edited:
Our Worlds at War has it's own universe dimensions description, but we can discuss that later.

If this gets accepted, what would happen to feats like this and this?
Green lanterns would only apply to 3600 sectors. If anything, that would mean the 3600 in total are at the very least 200 trillion light years. So that should go up. But universe crossing - like proper space stuff and not just a cluster of galaxies - should be infinite speed.

As for Wondy's... I think DC uni was expanded 60 Million or billion light years in a second. So maybe we can use something like that? I cannot recall the context too well so can't say much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back