• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Darquesse (Skulduggery Pleasant) Avatar Creation / Astral Projection -> Incorporeality

DontTalkDT

A Fossil at This Point
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Bronze Supporter
Just did a revision of her recently, but that one was already quite long and this is more complicated. Hence I decided to do this in this separate thread.

So, Darquesse currently has the following listed on her page:
Avatar Creation or Astral Projection (of some kind. Her first appearance in Phase 2 was as a massive energy-being that existed independently of her own corpse)
What I suggest is that this is changed to
Incorporeality (Her true form is a energy being, but usually uses her physical body)

To put that into context: In part 1 of the book series they 'defeated' Darquesse by making her believe she had destroyed the universe so that she would leave for another one.
This is from part 2 where Sebastian tries to find her in that other universe again. He initially only finds her dried out corpse, apparently dead for years.
However, then a giant translucent version of Darquesse appears, which is apparently made just out of light and impossible to kill even by the Faceless Ones.
Later, Darquesse goes back into her physical body and resurrects it from the dead.
Here are scans on that stuff for those that want the full version:

Now, putting that as Avatar Creation or Astral Projection might not be technically incorrect, but Incorporeality seems a lot more fitting. Like, the corpse she discarded clearly serves no function anymore. It would be wrong to call it her true body or the thing she is astral projecting from.

Additionally, as I already mentioned in my last thread, even while in physical form Darquesse's consciousness is non-physical. She is not even using the brain of that corpse to think when she is physical:
“And you keep all those memories in your mind?”

“Not all of them,” said Darquesse. “The human brain isn’t built to think the kind of thoughts I do.”

“Then where do you keep them?”

Darquesse shrugged, and fluttered her fingers round her head. “Everywhere. Outside and inside me. It doesn’t matter.” She looked at him, suddenly concerned. “Or, not that it doesn’t matter, it does matter, but I don’t think the same way as you do and as other people do, so I’m a little bit different. It doesn’t mean that I’m better than you, it just means that I’m different.”

So, all in all, I think it makes more sense to view her as a being made from light that inhabits her physical body rather than a physical body that can project a being of light.
Hence incorporeality.

1 more bump, just to make sure everyone had a chance to say something about it

Back