• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Dark of the Moon Game Canonicity

AbaddonTheDisappointment

VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Calculation Group
So currently, the Dark of the Moon game from 2011 is considered to be non-canon like all the other tie in games. Thing is, Dark of the Moon doesn't actually contradict any of the events within the movie like most of those other games. Most of the events in the movie were actually set up in the game, like Shockwave and the Driller, Bumblebee's Stealth Force mode, and Megatron gaining a truck alt-mode. The entire game was specifically designed to act as a set up for the movie since they were both announced around the same time and were made around that fact. It's also pretty useful in terms of scaling as it gives us more fights to scale the characters to and also helps soldify some bits of scaling we already have, like how Mirage/Dino survives attacks from Starscream, although he was badly wounded. This is akin to Ironhide and Ratchet's feats which supports him being able to kill the same Dreads that could harm Ironhide in the movie.

So basically I'm saying that the game should be considered canon because nothing is contradicted story/scaling-wise, it was intended to be canon, and scaling's just easier that way.

Agree: XSOULOFCINDERX, Fastestthingalive50, Confluctor, Teezar, KieranH10, Crabwhale
Neutral:
Disagree:

Last edited:

He pretty much says he can't break through his armor but the power cores on his back allowed Optimus to harm him. Honestly seems like more of a game mechanic to me but if we were to go with this, it would just make Shockwave's durability "At least 8-B+, likely higher" or something like that

That wasn't a normal punch, he literally had to transform his fist into some Spiked Knuckles to do that.

Also, I agree with the OP.
Honestly, that doesn’t really matter, cause he still broke through Shockwave’s armor (and he also, y’know, killed him), which the game says he can’t do.

Honestly, that doesn’t really matter, cause he still broke through Shockwave’s armor (and he also, y’know, killed him), which the game says he can’t do.
Aside from that one thing, the Game doesn't really contradict the movie to my Knowledge.

20201124_222506.jpg

I haven't played the game recently enough to remember it clearly, though I did check the TFWiki to see if I could find any contradictions in the plot, and I did find this noted in the game's article:

• Several of the game's plot points make very little sense when taken together with the Decepticons' actual plan in the film. For instance, Megatron leaves Optimus to be killed by the awakening Shockwave, despite requiring him and his Matrix to reactivate Sentinel Prime, and in the game's epilogue Shockwave is instructed to retrieve an object from Chernobyl, despite Megatron actually intending for it to fall into the Autobots' hands. Additionally, the game depicts said object as a space bridge pillar, whilst in the film it is an engine component from the Ark.
I'm not sure if any of that stuff would be considered too much of a contradiction or not, but I figured it was worth bringing up.

The first part of that seems valid. Megatron did need optimus alive but I feel like the others could be explained. The second part was also in the movie when the driller stole the engine part even though they needed it with the autobots. The third part could also be a communications error but it could also be a valid contradiction.

I haven't played the game recently enough to remember it clearly, though I did check the TFWiki to see if I could find any contradictions in the plot, and I did find this noted in the game's article:

• Several of the game's plot points make very little sense when taken together with the Decepticons' actual plan in the film. For instance, Megatron leaves Optimus to be killed by the awakening Shockwave, despite requiring him and his Matrix to reactivate Sentinel Prime, and in the game's epilogue Shockwave is instructed to retrieve an object from Chernobyl, despite Megatron actually intending for it to fall into the Autobots' hands. Additionally, the game depicts said object as a space bridge pillar, whilst in the film it is an engine component from the Ark.
I'm not sure if any of that stuff would be considered too much of a contradiction or not, but I figured it was worth bringing up.
Tbf, if they killed Optimus they could've just taken the Matrix from him, it's not like it hasn't been yoinked from him before. Then they wouldn't have even needed the Autobots to get Sentinel, they could've done it themselves.

Last edited:
Although I'm not knowledgeable on the game itself, this seems fine at a cursory glance.

What would this mean for the profiles?

Although I'm not knowledgeable on the game itself, this seems fine at a cursory glance.

What would this mean for the profiles?
It mainly gives Mirage extra scaling that lines up with how he helped Bumblebee kill one of the Ironhide level Dreads despite Bumblebee being 8-C+, has Mixmaster scale to Ironhide in AP and above him normally in Durability since Ironhide needed a Special Rocket Launcher to bust through his Armor which then gives Jetfire and Scorponok actual scaling since Jetfire killed a Mixmaster Unit in RotF and Scorponok mortally wounded Jetfife. Mixmaster being in this game doesn't contradict either of his deaths in RotF either because the Constructicons show up again in DotM despite having died in RotF.

And I guess it finally gives me an excuse to give breakaway a profile
Breakaway, Silverbolt and Air Raid all get killed by Starscream while defending Stratosphere who's probably the biggest Autobot, and possibly Transformer period, we've seen in the Bayverse.

Last edited:
Back