• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Incon I think?

It's in character for Steven to turtle up in his shield to avoid attacks as established on previous threads and Cole can't bypass it.

That said, Steven can't do much to Cole and he lacks ranged attacks Cold hasn't dealt with

Not for Future Steven actually. He's a lot kire aggressive when fighting in Future and doesn't rely on shields as much.

I mean, yeah, but he doesn't really use full body shields like he used to, is my point.

Last I checked, it's this:

274 Megaton fall <<< Common Rubies (they were completely unharmed by it) < Quartz Soldiers <<< Pearl < Garnet = Jasper < Future Steven

WeeklyBattles said:
@Wright Future Steven is = Jasper but other than that youre correct
He literally shattered her and had her on the defensive most of the fight.

Oh, his Pink Form is completely High 6-A then? Not sure how I feel about that seeing as how Jasper still took a few hits before going down, but alright.

The Wright Way said:
Oh, his Pink Form is completely High 6-A then? Not sure how I feel about that seeing as how Jasper still took a few hits before going down, but alright.
He literally said he was holding back the entire fight. He oneshot her and shattered her the instant he stopped holding back.

Alright. She still took hits from him after going Pink in their first fight though.

@Adem I mean, he fought evenly with Spinel, who fought on par with Garnet and the rest of the gems. If you're referring to their first fight, Steven was hesitant to fight in the first place. He's at the very least comparable.

Yeah, he outright said while in his pink form during their fight that he had been constantly holding back, something that even jasper recognized before he even said it

Edit: Okay yeah I was wrong here, but now I feel like because of the usual location for SBA, this whole thing just gives an unfair advantage to Cole, see below.

Cole just recharges though, seriously they are in New York City, electricty is everywhere to absorb and if Steven is going to turtle up Cole is not going to keep shooting if nothing is working.

Also cool on the caps

Well, as someone familiar with both I have several issues with entire argument.

1. They can hurt each other just fine. Cole is High 7-A for geing above an effortless 7-A feat. The AP gap is not that huge. Only 2-3x at most.

2. Unless it's a full body shield, Cole just uses a Pincer Bolt to go around the shield. Steven's never had to deflect projectiles from an opponent with as much Danmaku and variety as Cole.

3. Cole keeps recharging. SBA puts them in New York and Cole's stamina increases so long as he has electricity. If anything, Steven would starve to death while trying to wait him out.

Oh yeah I forgot that SBA puts the characters in Central Park in NYC.

I did say for someone who is familiar with BOTH verses to correct me if I was wrong, so thank you for that, The Wright Way :)

Honestly doesn't the location just give a hugely unfair advantage to Cole? Maybe the location should have been somewhere other than the standard SBA one since being in NYC basically makes this a borderline spite-thread against Steven given he is fighting a guy who can absorb electricity? Like seriously, having him fight an electricity-absorber in the middle of one of the world's largest cities is just not fair to Steven when the guy already has a higher stamina-rating than Steven does.

I feel like if this fight were in say, a small suburb or a rural area that still has access to the power-grid, the result would change to a victory for Steven, but as long as it is in NYC, Cole can keep going forever and the result is inconclusive.

Edit: I change my vote to inconclusive, see my posts below

The Wright Way said:
His fight with Spinel says otherwise.
You mean his fight of using his shield to block her attacks and then using his bubble to create barriers on his hands to block her attacks?

Okay so I was just thinking:

A very valid argument can actually be made that Steven will turtle in this case. I meeeean. . . . .sure he's never really used turtling since the original series buuuuut, Steven is smart, and despite his issues at this point he is generally pretty patient, and we can assume that is the case here since Pink State is restricted meaning Steven must be relatively mentally-stable during this fight. Cole has so much versatility with attacks that can do pincer-moves or ominidirectional danmaku and stuff that unless Cole can one-shot, Steven being smart and patient would immediatley respond to such an overwhelming assult by turtling in a Bubble.

If Steven turtles, then the result will be inconclusive due to Steven being able to turtle indefinitely (as his Bubbles do not drain his stamina unless they are tanking forces near their durability, which in this case they wouldn't be), while Cole will have unlimited stamina due to being in a large city. Therefore the fight would quite literally just drag on, and on, and on, and on with no conclusion.

So as I said in the edit to my last post, I change my vote to inconclusive.

Which is still distinctly different from just sitting in his bubble? Yes. In order for turtling to work, he'd have to use his bubble. Whuch he doesn't do. The only time he has done it is to gain distance (his first fight with Jasper), which is the opposite of what he'd want to do here.

The Wright Way said:
Which is still distinctly different from just sitting in his bubble? Yes. In order for turtling to work, he'd have to use his bubble. Whuch he doesn't do. The only time he has done it is to gain distance (his first fight with Jasper), which is the opposite of what he'd want to do here.
Steven is not an idiot though. As was pointed out, this opponent has a level of omnidirectional danmaku that he has never faced before, so being someone who is not an idiot and has strategy in combat, it would be 100% in-character for Steven to turtle in his bubble as soon as he realizes the opponent has a ridiculous level of danmaku he has never before had to face.

So I still think inconclusive in NYC (SBA location) as it would just drag on forever, while Steven would win in the suburbs or a rural area.

You convinced me Steven can't win but your arguments aren't enough to convince me he would definitely lose. Can Cole one-shot him? If not, then again, Steven will be like "oh CRUD that guy's attacks go EVERYWHERE!" and turtle as soon as the first massive wave of danmaku seriously damages but doesn't one-shot him. Then while turtling, Steven would just regenerate the damage he took with his Low-Mid regen.

there is a problem, steven does not resist the electricity of cole without turtle, if he manages to give him the first blow then steven will be stunned / unconscious.

Oliver de jesus said:
there is a problem, steven does not resist the electricity of cole without turtle, if he manages to give him the first blow then steven will be stunned / unconscious.
With speed equalized though isn't it still possible that Steven would know and be able to block a lightning-bolt using a shield?

I'm not familiar enough with Cole's abilities. How exactly does his danmaku work? Somebody here said he has danmaku but that isn't listed under his abilities at all. Does he tend to lead with attacks that come from many directions all at once, or does he tend to lead with attacks that go in just one or a couple directions? If the latter, then I still see no reason why Steven can't just block his attacks indefinitely, but if the former, then Cole will probably take him by surprise with a multi-directional attack and one-shot with stunning on the first move.

So tell me guys, how many directions do Cole's attacks tend to come from, does he have actual danmaku, does he tend to LEAD with multi-directional attacks, etc?

Well Cole usually tends to lead with ranged attacks, usually bolts which travel forward, but in different ways. Some move in a straight line, some in a pincer formation from multiple angles, some with a homing effect, etc.

From there, he usually busts out the big moves like rockets and grenades, which are more similar to "danmaku" in that they can burst into multiple attacks and home in on their target.

Blasts come out if there's an oncoming projectile/opponent.

PTSOXMONKEY99 said:
Then I vote INCONCLUSIVE because Cole won't lead in-character with anything that is too much for Steven to be able to block. It doesn't sound like his danmaku is nearly as much as Blue Diamond's, and when taken by surprise by it, Steven was able to react to and block a very impressive (way more than what you are describing Cole can do) danmaku-spam-attack from Blue Diamond using his shield, and that was Kid Steven in the Original Series who had less experience and was weaker than the Steven we are using here; i.e. a weaker and less-skilled, younger Steven blocked high-level danmaku-spam without needing to turtle.

So I vote inconclusive again, because:

1. Steven will block anything Cole throws at him with shields and eventually, once he grows tired of having to react to everything, by turtling in a bubble (while Steven "doesn't turtle anymore" that isn't a valid argument for him not turtling once he gets bored of having to react, as he is smart and patient). And his shields and bubble don't really drain his stamina, especially when only having to block High 7-A attacks way below their durability.

2. Cole will never get tired due to having access to the NYC power grid. And while Steven can still damage Cole with the small-enough AP gap, Cole's regen will fix anything Steven does to him. If all he's doing is using shields and turtling in a bubble, Steven should be able to last for days and days (his stamina in this key is INSANE, he had tons of crazy feats and took an insanely brutal beating from Spinel in the movie all while his Gem was severely weakened by "rejuvenation" and almost all his powers and energy were drained).

This battle would go on for days with no clear winner, while Steven sits in his Bubble texting Connie like "Connie, this annoying guy won't stop shooting lightning and rockets at me," lol.

If the battle was in a small suburb or a rural area with access to the power-grid but nowhere near NYC's grid, then Steven would win with very high (in suburbs) or high (in rural) difficulty, but under SBA in New York City, this is inconclusive.

Keep in mind that it is actually really hard to make matches for Steven against other 7-A characters that don't end up inconclusive or with a victory for Steven, because he has hax-durability-powers that are way, way above his attack-potency.

Oliver de jesus said:
put it against dante and you will see how it falls </div>
Well OBVIOUSLY, Dante would hax-stomp. What I meant by matches with Steven against equally-tiered characters often ending up incon is that the matches have to not just be stomps from the get-go, obviously. Dante has too much hax, a match between 7-A Dante and 7-A Steven would just be a spite-thread, lmaoooo. It's just that in his 7-A keys, matches against opponents who can't hax-stomp him generally do end up either inconclusive (more often) or with a victory for Steven.

It's honestly really, really hard to come up with good, proper matches for Steven in his 7-A keys, because he either gets hax-stomped, he stomps himself due to his shields' dura but being able to harm the other character, or he just turtles and it goes inconclusive. LMAO.

Oliver de jesus said:
Quiet old man was just a joke, why don't you try meliodas or a of the luffy base keys
There already is a Luffy-vs-Steven match, it was Dressrosa Luffy vs Steven back in only his Seasons 2-3 key where he was far weaker and less skilled than in the key being used in this match, and it still ended up inconclusive. If someone did a Movie/Future Steven vs Dressrosa Luffy match, it would still be inconclusive even if Luffy can now use Gear 4, thanks to Steven turtling and Luffy not going Gear 4 right off the bat in-character, while if it was post-WCI Luffy, it would likely still end up inconclusive even with Luffy now being able to see a few seconds into the future, as it would be OOC for Luffy to one-hit-K.O. Steven before he can turtle, and he wouldn't know the bubble is High 6-A so like the stubborn idiot he is Luffy would just keep hitting it and trying to break it. Thus any Steven vs Luffy match would still end up inconclusive. Not sure about a match against Meliodas though since Meliodas has soul-hax.

I knew it was just a joke, that's why you did the strikethrough. I was just using it as an opportunity to show why it's so hard to make matches for Steven that don't end up with either him getting hax-stomped, inconclusive, or rare occasions where Steven wins.

I guess my ultimate point is that people need to use care and think things through before making matches for people like Steven who are the opposite of glass-cannons and have the ability to bring their durability to levels far above their AP.

Back