• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Community help needed in preparation for the forum migration

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Hello.

Community Hired, the company setting up our new forum, needs some help from our community.

They need some examples of complex discussion threads that have embeds, links, images, pretty much anything that would trip up their import of the backup of our old forum.

I would greatly appreciate if our members could search for such threads that are older than from November 12 last year.

There should at least be some images, but if you can think of any posts where someone put in a template, or something similarly complex on the HTML side, that would be even better.

Basically, please try to remember and find any forum threads from before November 2019 that included more than just text and links in the posts. Ideally we would like a few examples with images, unusual formatting or templates. This will help test some of the stages of the forum migration.

I don't think I'd be of much help. I already have a lot on my plate with exams and whatnot.

Honestly, some of the report threads work well for this, since many contain a lot of hyperlinking to profiles, many contain HTML coding such as Strikethrough and many of them post images.

ProfessorKukui4Life said:
Just wanted to ask.
Would any blogs, calc blogs, respect threads, etc. made by users here be deleted post-forum migration?
As far as told in the last few threads, no. They will remain intact and the function to make blogs itself will remain untouched.

This might be a good thread from a technical perspective. Various kinds of collapsables, hidden text and use of <nowiki> tags.

Aside from that maybe a thread that has a <math> tag used, but I spontanously can't find one.

Oh yeah, spoiler tags. Those are badly needed to avoid ruining the fun of other people waiting to know more about those stuff.

Alonik said:
It needs to be respectively the OP, or the complete thread serve (comments and etc)?
Any posts in the threads that use complicated code qualify.

Modernmyrmidon said:
So when exactly will we be sent the e-mail to the new website?
I do not know yet. Sorry. The discussion thread files are supposed to finish being converted to the XenForo format tomorrow and then be sent to Community Hired though.

What do we do in this regard? We save the code for threads or blogs? Sorry if the question seems silly, but I genuinely want to help and I a bit loss at what to do >_>;

You look for somewhat older discussion threads with embedded code and image links in them, so Community Hired can check for potential problems with the conversion process.

What do you mean? Any images uploaded to this wiki will remain here, yes, but we will not transfer copies of our entire enormous database of images to the new forum, partially due to hosting costs and partially due to copyright concerns. The URL links to the images should still remain though, so you can still find them in the wiki that way.

I'm not sure I'll be too much help at the moment, but if I have any notable threads to bring up, I could try to link them.

Thank you to everybody who are helping out.

Well there was a thread where {{USERNAME}} was used like hell. But I'm not able to find that thread dammit!

Thank you for helping out.

@AKM Sama I know the Title was something like "The Best User is" followed by that Username script. And I also forgot the name of the person who made the thread, but it was something to do with the word "Guru" in his username. But yeah, that does sound like a notable example thread.

We need any complex threads from before November 2019 that include embeds, links, images, pretty much anything. This will help test some of the stages of the forum migration.

Do we need all the threads up until the very beginning of the wiki? Or just a few of them?

I mean we can probably stage an ideal thread I suppose, if people are willing to help

KLOL506 said:
Do we need all the threads up until the very beginning of the wiki? Or just a few of them?
No no. Only few examples of threads with complex codes that might trip up their import of the backup of our old forum.

Yes, Community Hired and the programmers my friend knows are currently in the middle of working at setting up our new forum, but they only have our discussion backlog from the start of this forum to November 12 last year as of yet, so we have to find a few examples of complicated older threads for them to test on.

Quck help in this regard would be appreciated, as it lessens the delays for them.

Initially only the ones until November 12 last year, but we are supposed to get another copy of our forums later that is going to be transferred as well.

Back