• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Color of Armament's Resistance CRT

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingTempest

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
71713487A53CFD0742FA5FC7C32818C0AF5C141B

Introduction​

Armament Haki (also known as Busoshoku, Color of Arms/CoA, Ryuo, Spiritual Armor, etc) is one of the three colors/shades of Haki, the others being Observation Haki (Kenbunshoku) and Conqueror's (Haoshoku) Haki.
This is the Haki most used for combat. It's used to amplify strength and durability by adding it onto the respective body parts that the user desires.

Armament Haki is noted to be a counter to Devil Fruit abilities, which is noted via many sources and feats in the manga. The Devil Fruit abilities that we currently accept that are countered by Haki consist of
(Negates) Elemental Intangibility and Regeneration, (Resistance to) Spatial Manipulation and Teleportation
This CRT is to note how we should take the future abilities, since many threads of today still write off some resistance feats as "Haki negates devil fruits", but we don't list the specific abilities that are resisted.

I request that no specific abilities that need to be added are discussed here, and this is solely for the purpose of organizing how the abilities are added.

The Statements​

There are statements from multiple different sources about Armament Haki's effect to Devil Fruits, but I'll be going in chronological order.

The first statement is from Silvers Rayleigh.
He says "When facing a devil fruit user, other than taking advantage of their individual weaknesses, this Armament Haki is the sole method of effectively combating their abilities!"

Most people take that as "Oh it can hit Logias since they show a picture of Logias, it didn't say all devil fruit abilities".
However, he said "even the fluid bodies...", hinting that he wasn't only talking about them, but he wanted to signify their importance with Haki, since Logias are a very rare species of Devil Fruits.

Another example is from Databook Blue Deep. It was translated by one of the Wiki's translators, Qliphoth_Bacikal.
2) Busoshoku (武装色) is Haki that strengthens one's offense and defense like armor. With it, it can defend them against a Devil Fruit users (悪魔の実) abilities while also allowing them to potentially strike back!

3) The basic application of Haki is to protect oneself from enemy attacks by spreading the Haki all over the body. This can enable them to block physical attacks from weapons as well as those from Devil Fruits!!
And it specifically calls it a basic application, showing that even the most basic Armament Haki can do this, which is why even when a high tier negates a specific ability, low tier haki users are capable of it as well.

My next example is a statement from a Haki user, Smoker, talking to his protégée about how her Haki can't stand up to Trafalgar Law's, a Haki user, ability.
"Your Haki can't stand up to his ability!" Showing that there is certain haki that can stand up to his ability, which is from a greater Haki user.

And Smoker's point is brought up again when Vergo fights Law, referring to how Haki can block Law's abilities.

The last and final statement is a direct statement about how Trafalgar Law's teleportation ability cannot work on Big Mom and Kaido (two God Tiers) specifically because of the potency of their Haki, signifying that it's not only for Logias.

I'm assuming I've provided enough statements showing the correlation through Busoshoku/Armament Haki and Devil Fruits. Now.

The Feats​

Doesn't take that much explanation.

The poison from Caesar's logia form is supposed to penetrate the skin and petrify the victim, but it crumbled away in contact of Haki.

Rayleigh flicks Luffy's head with haki and ignores his resistance to blunt force.

Zoro cuts through Daz Bonez with haki and ignores his resistance to cutting attacks.

Garp punching Marco with Haki and negating Marco's intan and regen.

Smoker blocking Law's spatial slash without his weapon getting cut in half.

Haki Superiority is Canonically a Thing​

Roronoa Zoro and Pica hint on superior Haki deciding fights in their clash.
Monkey D. Luffy and Charlotte Katakuri's clash showing superior Haki.
Cracker's Haki is noted to be very potent.

Luffy and Doflamingo fought and Doflamingo couldn't deal blunt force damage on him because of superior Haki, but Katakuri, who's stated above to have superior Haki than Luffy, could damage him consistently.

We even get a statement that Haki can grow in battle.

Resistance vs Power Nullification​

Haki does not nullify the attack, it resists the attack.

The databook specifically says "blocks" Devil Fruit attacks, not "negates" or "nullifies".

Smoker vs Law. Smoker's Jitte is not cut, but everything behind it is. If the attack was nullified, it wouldn't have kept moving.

A common counter is the fact that Smoker's weapon, the Jitte, has seastone tipped at the end of the weapon, which nullifies the Devil Fruit ability. This is false, because Seastone is not immune to Devil Fruit abilities nor does it nullify the abilities, it just drains the energy from the Devil Fruit users.
Law could teleport seastone handcuffs and chains but he couldn't do the same to Big Mom and Kaido. If it was immune, it wouldn't teleport at all.
So it's proof that Haki resists it, and it's not nullified.

The Abilities That Would Be Resisted​

Attacks.
The databook says Attacks, it shows Attacks, it's not just any ability.
Law's "scan" ability is not an attack, it would not be resisted.
The bari bari no mi is not an attack, it wouldn't be "resisted".
Things like Law's attacks or explosions and such would be affected.

My Proposition​

In the future, whatever ability is considered a devil fruit ability is resisted by Haki, then we should consider that ability to be resisted by Haki.
This thread could/should/would be placed on the verse page for people to remember this rule instead of it being an unspoken rule, and it would decide if we consider future abilities as resisted or if we ignore it.

Last edited:
In the future, whatever ability is considered a devil fruit ability is resisted by Haki, then we should consider that ability to be resisted by Haki.
This thread could/should/would be placed on the verse page for people to remember this rule instead of it being an unspoken rule, and it would decide if we consider future abilities as resisted or if we ignore it.
I agree with this. The Databook statement seems pretty straightforwward, it wouldn't make sense if Law's fruit was the only case where haki can resist their abilities.

Last edited:
71713487A53CFD0742FA5FC7C32818C0AF5C141B

Introduction​

Armament Haki (also known as Busoshoku, Color of Arms/CoA, Ryuo, Spiritual Armor, etc) is one of the three colors/shades of Haki, the others being Observation Haki (Kenbunshoku) and Conqueror's (Haoshoku) Haki.
This is the Haki most used for combat. It's used to amplify strength and durability by adding it onto the respective body parts that the user desires.

Armament Haki is noted to be a counter to Devil Fruit abilities, which is noted via many sources and feats in the manga. The Devil Fruit abilities that we currently accept that are countered by Haki consist of

This CRT is to note how we should take the future abilities, since many threads of today still write off some resistance feats as "Haki negates devil fruits", but we don't list the specific abilities that are resisted.

I request that no specific abilities that need to be added are discussed here, and this is solely for the purpose of organizing how the abilities are added.

The Statements​

There are statements from multiple different sources about Armament Haki's effect to Devil Fruits, but I'll be going in chronological order.

The first statement is from Silvers Rayleigh.
He says "When facing a devil fruit user, other than taking advantage of their individual weaknesses, this Armament Haki is the sole method of effectively combating their abilities!"

Most people take that as "Oh it can hit Logias since they show a picture of Logias, it didn't say all devil fruit abilities".
However, he said "even the fluid bodies...", hinting that he wasn't only talking about them, but he wanted to signify their importance with Haki, since Logias are a very rare species of Devil Fruits.

Another example is from Databook Blue Deep. It was translated by one of the Wiki's translators, Qliphoth_Bacikal.

And it specifically calls it a basic application, showing that even the most basic Armament Haki can do this, which is why even when a high tier negates a specific ability, low tier haki users are capable of it as well.

My next example is a statement from a Haki user, Smoker, talking to his protégée about how her Haki can't stand up to Trafalgar Law's, a Haki user, ability.
"Your Haki can't stand up to his ability!" Showing that there is certain haki that can stand up to his ability, which is from a greater Haki user.

And Smoker's point is brought up again when Vergo fights Law, referring to how Haki can block Law's abilities.

The last and final statement is a direct statement about how Trafalgar Law's teleportation ability cannot work on Big Mom and Kaido (two God Tiers) specifically because of the potency of their Haki, signifying that it's not only for Logias.

I'm assuming I've provided enough statements showing the correlation through Busoshoku/Armament Haki and Devil Fruits. Now.

The Feats​

Doesn't take that much explanation.

The poison from Caesar's logia form is supposed to penetrate the skin and petrify the victim, but it crumbled away in contact of Haki.

Rayleigh flicks Luffy's head with haki and ignores his resistance to blunt force.

Zoro cuts through Daz Bonez with haki and ignores his resistance to cutting attacks.

Garp punching Marco with Haki and negating Marco's intan and regen.

Smoker blocking Law's spatial slash without his weapon getting cut in half.

Haki Superiority is Canonically a Thing​

Roronoa Zoro and Pica hint on superior Haki deciding fights in their clash.
Monkey D. Luffy and Charlotte Katakuri's clash showing superior Haki.
Cracker's Haki is noted to be very potent.

Luffy and Doflamingo fought and Doflamingo couldn't deal blunt force damage on him because of superior Haki, but Katakuri, who's stated above to have superior Haki than Luffy, could damage him consistently.

We even get a statement that Haki can grow in battle.

Resistance vs Power Nullification​

Haki does not nullify the attack, it resists the attack.

The databook specifically says "blocks" Devil Fruit attacks, not "negates" or "nullifies".

Smoker vs Law. Smoker's Jitte is not cut, but everything behind it is. If the attack was nullified, it wouldn't have kept moving.

A common counter is the fact that Smoker's weapon, the Jitte, has seastone tipped at the end of the weapon, which nullifies the Devil Fruit ability. This is false, because Seastone is not immune to Devil Fruit abilities nor does it nullify the abilities, it just drains the energy from the Devil Fruit users.
Law could teleport seastone handcuffs and chains but he couldn't do the same to Big Mom and Kaido. If it was immune, it wouldn't teleport at all.
So it's proof that Haki resists it, and it's not nullified.

The Abilities That Would Be Resisted​

Attacks.
Things like Law's attacks or explosions and such would be affected.

My Proposition​

This is really simple, I 100% agree.

In context, Rayleigh is talking about being able to deal damage to Devil Fruit users. Hence why he says "other than taking advantage of their individual weaknesses."

Luffy is an example of non-Logia users that he is referring to. Luffy doesn't have a fluid body, but you can use Haki to harm him. Rayleigh extends it further by saying "even the fluid bodies of the Logias" can be forced into solidity.

About the databook statement it mentions defending/blocking against attacks, sure, but that does not necessarily mean a resistance to every type of ability. It mentions blocking Devil Fruit attacks at the same moment that it mentions blocking physical attacks. It could simply refer to increasing durability in general.

We don't assume Haki gives a Resistance to Physical Strikes. So I wouldn't automatically assume that every time a Haki user blocks an attack from a Devil Fruit user that they're automatically resisting it and not just tanking it - unless it was specifically something that bypassed durability like Law.

In context, Rayleigh is talking about being able to deal damage to Devil Fruit users. Hence why he says "other than taking advantage of their individual weaknesses."

Luffy is an example of non-Logia users that he is referring to. Luffy doesn't have a fluid body, but you can use Haki to harm him. Rayleigh extends it further by saying "even the fluid bodies of the Logias" can be forced into solidity.
Individual weakness don't just mean the body changing logias Damage.
Mikata (Miss Valentine) is weak against Machvise's fruit, Magellan is weak against Galdino's fruit, Big Mom's fruit is weak against Brook's and Pudding's fruits, Cracker's fruit is weak against water, Kalifa's fruit is weak against water, and SMILE's are weak against Tama's fruit.

Weaknesses aren't logia and body-changing Paramecia based only, and Rayleigh says "combating their abilities". I don't think Rayleigh would notify all devil fruits but only speak for like 13 of them.
About the databook statement it mentions defending/blocking against attacks, sure, but that does not necessarily mean a resistance to every type of ability. It mentions blocking Devil Fruit attacks at the same moment that it mentions blocking physical attacks. It could simply refer to increasing durability in general.
The second picture for the databook scan showed a Haki user deflecting an attack from a rubber man.

The point could be taken as what you said, but the other instances of Haki > Devil Fruits, it shows that it's not just amped durability.
We don't assume Haki gives a Resistance to Physical Strikes. So I wouldn't automatically assume that every time a Haki user blocks an attack from a Devil Fruit user that they're automatically resisting it and not just tanking it - unless it was specifically something that bypassed durability like Law.
Physical Strikes isn't a devil fruit ability. It can be amped by Devil Fruit abilities, but it's not a devil fruit ability. and it's cause we don't get that many offensive devil fruit abilities. Bellamy's fruit can amp his strikes, but we're not saying "resistance to body control" because of it.

Law's fruit is an example, it's clearly an offensive technique which gets resisted.

I agree, its mostly a misconception but yes haki helps resist/negates any DF ability not just logias the only difference is that with the paramecia type, you need to attack the paramecia body not their DF connected to their body unlike logia that any extension of their body with natural element is them so hitting that extension with haki hurts them too. But paramecia are not really their extension (e.g. like luffy using haki could not damage the extension made by the big doffy commander even though its an extension he created of his body)

Hope this makes sense, I am currently busy so its badly written

I agree with the basic premise but not this part. "attacks" with supernatural abilities is pretty loose fitting description. Teleportation is not a classic "attack" but it is still resisted. You even acknowledge the importance of "abilities" beyond the obvious in the OP so I think that is preferable. Also we do not need to bother with adding every individual ability as it is resisted. That is a waste of time and space. All devil fruits are resisted by Haki. Not nullified mind you, as you pointed out. Just resisted. The extent to which they are resisted depends on the relationship between the 2 opposing factors. Same as every other resistance.

In short, the entire post up until
The Abilities That Would Be Resisted
Can be listed under Armament haki to give reason for resistance to Devil fruit powers. Then going forward we will no longer apply individual resistances (Based on Haki) to each profile because it is already included under haki.

Looks alright from what's been shown and said.

Ah, and I think I saw my mistake here a bit when I was translating the whole thing which, given it was a whole lot, I was bound to make one.

By "With it, it can defend them against a Devil Fruit users (悪魔の実) attacks while also allowing them to potentially strike back!", I meant to put "abilities" as that's what 能力 means. Attacks would 攻撃. I think I meant to put something like "With it, it can defend them against attacks from a Devil Fruit user's abilities..." which makes the whole thing clearer when Haki users defend themselves against a DF user's attacks and the abilities associated with it.

Sorry for not clearing this up sooner back then, was pretty tired by that point to really say anything else.

Looks alright from what's been shown and said.

Ah, and I think I saw my mistake here a bit when I was translating the whole thing which, given it was a whole lot, I was bound to make one.

By "With it, it can defend them against a Devil Fruit users (悪魔の実) attacks while also allowing them to potentially strike back!", I meant to put "abilities" as that's what 能力 means. Attacks would 攻撃. I think I meant to put something like "With it, it can defend them against attacks from a Devil Fruit user's abilities..." which makes the whole thing clearer when Haki users defend themselves against a DF user's attacks and the abilities associated with it.

Sorry for not clearing this up sooner back then, was pretty tired by that point to really say anything else.
Thanks for clarifying it. You've already helped a lot for the verse, no issues

I agree with the basic premise but not this part. "attacks" with supernatural abilities is pretty loose fitting description. Teleportation is not a classic "attack" but it is still resisted. You even acknowledge the importance of "abilities" beyond the obvious in the OP so I think that is preferable.
I meant to say "offensive abilities", which fits the OP better with the points like
And such.
Also we do not need to bother with adding every individual ability as it is resisted. That is a waste of time and space. All devil fruits are resisted by Haki. Not nullified mind you, as you pointed out. Just resisted. The extent to which they are resisted depends on the relationship between the 2 opposing factors. Same as every other resistance.

In short, the entire post up until

Can be listed under Armament haki to give reason for resistance to Devil fruit powers. Then going forward we will no longer apply individual resistances (Based on Haki) to each profile because it is already included under haki.
For clarification.

We have resistance to spatial manip and teleportation for Haki currently. Should we just say "Ope Ope no Mi" since it covers it?

I meant to say "offensive abilities", which fits the OP better with the points like
Like I said I read it as "abilities" and the wonderful @Qliphoth_Bacikal confirmed my suspicion.
We have resistance to spatial manip and teleportation for Haki currently. Should we just say "Ope Ope no Mi" since it covers it?

"Resistance to Devil Fruit abilitie"s covers everything. No need to mention Opie, Spatial, etc.

I feel like we should handle that it a separate CRT.

This CRT was just to make it clear that the abilities are resisted, not nullified.

Adding dozens of resistances requires its own thread.

Damage had an issue earlier in the thread. I want that issue resolved before we make another thread.

I'm more worried about the potential slippery slope of this. So I'll see what the exact proposals will be in the next thread.

I'm more worried about the potential slippery slope of this. So I'll see what the exact proposals will be in the next thread.
That's a fair proposal. I can accept that.

I can make the thread, it's nothing too serious.

Closing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back