• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Ultima_Reality

?????????
VS Battles
Administrator
hoi

So, I'm not really a "marvel guy", but for the past few days, I've been reading through Classic Doctor Strange's appearances, as the current condition of the page is a tad lackluster and really doesn't meet my this wiki's standards of quality at all. Anyways, I will cut to the chase here:

"Low Multiverse level (He has consistently fought against beings such as Dormammu, Nightmare, SHuman-Gorath, and The In-Betweener, and has channeled the power of similar entities on numerous occasions)"

There are several problems with this scaling. Starting with the fact that this implies Classic Doctor Strange is in any way comparable to the Cosmic Entities which he fought during his run, which is just plain wrong going by what happens in the actual fights, and also contradicts the pages linked in the first place, who all have something like "superior to Classic Doctor Strange", so there's clearly some weird circular scaling going on here.

First off, Dormammu was extremely casual while fighting Strange, and was mostly unfazed by his Magic, both in the matter of hax and raw power. The only reasons Dormammu even let Strange live were the fact he was impressed by the sorcerer's courage and his bizarre sense of honor which kicked in after Strange helped him restrain the Mindless Ones. This album pretty much speaks for itself.

As far as I read, the only time where two two were portrayed as remotely even was in this 1999 Spider-Man comic. However, Strange himself states that Dormammu was weakened and barely started to regain control over his strength, and goes on to say that if he were at full power, no one would be able to stop him, and the Earth would be reduced to ashes in no time.

There is also his fight against the In-Betweener, which is kind of notable for being one of the most one-sided fights in Strange's classic run. Mainly because the In-Betweener basically no-sells all of Strange's attacks and proceeds to easily humiliate him in all possible ways. Strange is even nearly driven to madness and admits that trying to fight against the In-Betweener is laughable, and only manages to defeat him by summoning Lord Chaos and Master Order and channeling their power into his own.

He sure as hell didn't resist his Reality Warping as the profile says, either, since the In-Betweener pretty bluntly says that he wasn't trying to kill Strange or harm him at all, and just wanted to show him the extent of his power and how hopeless the fight was, all while making it pretty clear that he is not exerting himself in the slightest. His assault wasn't based on physical attacks which could be tanked, so it isn't a 2-C durability feat for Strange's forcefields, either.

Strange's fights against SHuman-Gorath aren't that great either, considering he not only is introduced and portrayed as something even greater than Dormammu, but Arioch, who is just a lieutenant of his, was strong enough to stomp Strange pretty badly, and make him admit that he can't fight back against Arioch. This results in Strange absorbing Arioch's essence into himself and merging with him, gaining his physical / mental traits and only then possessing enough power to fight against SHuman-Gorath.

There is also the fact that in this comic, the power of pure, elemental life, which is described as enough to "shake and shape the whole Universe", is explicitly portrayed as greater than Strange's own, and is what he uses to deal with an invasion of N'Garai which breached into the Earth.

Now, I am not entirely ruling out the possibility of Strange being 2-C, mainly because he actually managed to fight equally against Nightmare and eve overpower him one time, albeit it was because his power was fading away at the moment, and the Ancient One even implied that Nightmare would destroy him if certain conditions weren't met. There is also Strange's interaction with another Fear-Lord, Dispayre, where he is pretty much dominated, and resorts to using the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak to banish him away.

Strange's forcefields also barely protected him against the turmoil which ensued from Dormammu's fight against Eternity, which tore at the very fabric of existence. This might be an outlier, but still.

There is also the time he fought against Zom, an extradimensional being whose power far exceeds Umar's (Dormammu's sister), and by extension Dormammu's. Strange actually managed to destroy his Crimson Bands of Cyttorak and shatter his maze of madness. Although he was still thoroughly overpowered and resorted to striking at Zom's weakness even after receiving a power-up from the Ancient One.

Whether or not he is full-blown 2-C doesn't really impact on his overall ratings, though, since while he probably isn't that strong naturally, he can still reach this level of power through some artifacts and spells. This is pretty obvious and blatant, given he has feats of merging with Eternity and summoning / channeling the power of cosmic entities like Lord Chaos and Master Order (like I previously mentioned), Hell Lords like Satannish, the Vishanti, etc.

So, what I propose is either something like:

[insert tier 4 / 3 here]. At least Universe level (Through an ancient ritual, Doctor Strange is capable of tapping into the Souls of others and wielding the power of elemental life itself, described as "an infinite totality beautiful beyond comprehension", enough to make the whole Universe tremble and shape its entirety), up to Low Multiverse level with certains Artifacts and Spells (Capable of channeling the power of, and summoning Cosmic Entities such as Lord Chaos and Master Order, having done so in order to overwhelm and impriso The In-Betweener, and ca unite with Eternity himself. Could forcibly merge himself with the demon Arioch - who claimed to be "not even finite" and completely dwarfed Mephisto and Satannish in power and scope - allowing him to fight evenly against SHuman-Gorath)

or:

Low Multiverse level (Can contend against the likes of a weakened Nightmare within his own realm, and banish Fear-Lords of similar power to separate planes of existence with spells such as the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak. His protective barriers allowed him to survive an onslaught from Dormammu which tore at the very fabric of existence, albeit barely. Capable of somewhat contending against a casual Zom, an entity whose power surpasses that of Umar and Dormammu, and later grew far stronger after being empowered by the Ancient One and truly becoming Earth's Sorcerer Supreme), higher with certain Artifacts and Spells (Capable of channeling the power of, and summoning Cosmic Entities such as Lord Chaos and Master Order, having done so in order to overwhelm and impriso The In-Betweener, and ca unite with Eternity himself. Could forcibly merge himself with the demon Arioch - who claimed to be "not even finite" and completely dwarfed Mephisto and Satannish in power and scope - allowing him to fight evenly against SHuman-Gorath)

I'm leaning towards the first option, myself, but will let others decide on that.

This seems very reasonable I commend you for all your good work Ultima well done

Neutral what the final decision on Stranges stats will be.

Hmm. What about Strange's feat with Infinity Gauntlet? All his artifacts working together, maintained a balance of power with the IG

Ah, I forgot that feat existed. I am going to look for it. That would still only scale to his artifacts though, not to his own magical power.

While most will agree with the first option, I go with the second option. Strange showed several times being able to fight with beings like Dormmamu and Nightmare, and this is consistent. Since his first appearances, Strange has been fighting with Dormmamu in a manner equivalent to Dormammu himself, and several fights have occurred before Strange even became a Supreme Sorcerer. Also, he can fight against Death, don't remember if there is a feat involving raw power, but yeah, he has some feats of resistance to death manip. and such things

Dormammu is consistently portrayed as far more powerful than Strange, though, and the only time Strange fought "evenly" against a full-power Dormammu (As far as i read, anyways) was in a match of pure skill using specific weapons and no magical abilities. Him fighting Nightmare seems relatively consistent though, I can agree with that.

Death was pretty much toying with Strange by imbuing the space around him with death-inducing shenanigans, it wasn't a match of raw power.

Dormmamu was portrayed as a great threat, not as a superior being to Strange. Was the fight you mentioned "was in a match of pure skill using specific weapons" the one that both used artifacts that nullified their powers? There have been many fights between the two over Strange Tales and several other Strange's comics

Dormmamu was portrayed as a great threat, not as a superior being to Strange.

He is indeed portrayed as superior though, at least in Strange Tales and some other comics. Nevermind Strange was overpowered by comparable beings such as Umar, and Dormammu even states that he could erase Strange from existence in an instant if he used all his power.

I am mostly fine with Strange being straight-up 2-C and higher with his artifacts / strongest spells, but I am unsure on scaling him to Dormammu.

That statement is somewhat false. Strange has already resisted being wiped out by Dormammu himself, and it is in this fight that both face each other in physical combat. I'm not suggesting that use Dormmamu as scaling, just wanted to clarify that it is not so superior to Strange in this way, both are at least comparable. I read about Doctor Strange a couple of years ago, I can not be reminded of much, but I'm sure Dormmamu is not so superior to him

Well, like I said, Dormammu wasn't fighting at full-power and was mostly toying with Strange, and in the subsequent comics most of their meetings consist of Dormammu either kicking Strange's ass and having to be outsmarted or him being weakened enough for Strange to fight against him, like in that Spider-Man comic I linked in the OP. The power-gap between both of them is clearly really high and is consistently shown as such.

Fair enough, then.

I haven't read the Infinity Gauntlet storylines in a really long time, so I don't remember much, but as far as I know, Thanos didn't really beat the Multiversal Abstracts, just their Universal Forms, and was subdued by the Living Tribunal.

Though I heard some talk about a fully-powered IG being equal to the Tribunal, but don't quote me on that

The Living Tribunal did not get involved with it. Unless he had involved outside the main events, but in the main story he did not get involved. Yeah, confused

Ah, yeah, it was Adam Warlock (with the Infinity Gauntlet obviously) who was judged by the Living Tribunal, not Thanos. My mistake.

Not really, the Tribunal states that his power dwarfs the Gauntlet's and undoes everything Adam does with it. It doesn't scale.

Well, then the justification present on IG's profile shoudl be removed. Here is my proposal to Strange's AP with artifacts.

Attack Potency: ... likely far higher using artifacts and using entities powers (With all his artifacts working together, Strange achieved a momentary power balance with the Infinity Gauntlet. Using the power from Lord Chaos and Master Order, Strange defeated The In-Betweener. Can use Eternity's powers)

I think that Ultima makes sense. Option 1 is probably the most logical to use.

The profile draft Ultima made for option 1 is pretty sweet. The only [minor] issue as far as I can see is that the render is kinda blurry.

Okay. I think that can probably be used then.

The current image for his profile looks much better though, yes.

I love classic Thor, but it would create far too many inconsistencies with other characters to scale him to tier 3.

I also think that it is unclear if they lighted up the entire Dark Dimension, or just the local area, especially given the low power level of some of the characters that helped out.

Wait, light up the entire Dark Dimension? The DD is infinite, it was stated many times during Strange Tales

If it was infinite, it would require infinite energy to light up, and also for the light to travel at infinite speed, and I have a very hard time picturing that kind of power level from Swordsman and Iron Man, for example.

Back