• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Category spam of the worst possible degree

Crabwhale

Wasteland Gravetender
VS Battles
Administrator
Going along with our recent crackdown on basic page spam, there is one aspect of the disease that seems to have gone completely unnoticed during it all: categories.

No, not just regular category spam (which is still pretty bad), that has unfortunately become standard procedure at this point, but category spam that inherently makes the wiki less organized. Don't get what I mean? Just check out the picture below:

Doomwtf
That is what the category for the Doom video game looked like before I cleaned it up. As you can see, more than half of the profiles there have absolutely nothing to do with Doom. Now obviously, the category wasn't formally created until right about a few minutes ago (once again, by me), but it was clear that whoever originally made said category made it solely with Doom in mind.

Doombetter
Now guess what the completely unrelated pages removed had in common? They were filled to the absolute brim with category spam (and sometimes regular spam as well). And at this point is where I think we need to draw the line. It's one thing to exploit and systematically butt-**** a category like "Beyond XXXXX", those are already nonsensical enough and this is Joke Battles Wiki after all, but it is a whole different beast all together to spam categories legitimately meant to ease navigation and make the Wiki more orderly and accessible.

That's why I'm proposing a formal addition to the rules that specifically prohibits the use of serious categories willy-nilly.

Have you seen the Females Category, I swear atleast 35% of the pages in that category don't belong in it

While yes, that category spam might be bad as well, it at the absolute least still might have some comedic effect, like how Pyrocynical is in there (get it, cus he called himself lesbian and transgender in that one video? HARHARHAR). You know, shit like that. At least that's trying, to some extent. While the pictures above show just...nothing. It's just spamming for the sake of spamming, and Hell, even then, it's actually worse since it is actively making the site worse.

Yeah I agree with Pyro being in there because of that joke, but why are Brebis Mcfuckstick, Dio Brando (Wanked) and Copeten in that category, something needs to be done about this problem because it makes everything incredibly unorginized

(And the "Females" category is by no means the worst offender of this problem, its just the first one I could think of off the top of my head)

I am 100% in favor of adding a rule against category spam.

As the OP stated, categories exist to make certain pages easier to access. So when certain pages (mostly Godmodes) randomly get put in hundreds, if not thousands of categories they clearly don't belong in, it throws Joke Battles off-kilter when it comes to navigation.

In fact, I remember that there was once a proposal to limit the amount of categories that a page can have. Perhaps that can be brought up in a separate topic.

Though, I suppose I should actually outline the regulations I'm thinking of in some detail:

• Update DA RULES to include some kind of prohibition of unrelated category spam or just category spam in general (possibly a subrule of the already existing spam rule).
  • Update the Spam Report Thread to allow legible reports for pages with category spam as well as regular spam (or possibly create an all new thread specifically for catgory spam).
  • Optionally, assemble a volunteer task force to specifically search for categories that are being trampled under unnecessary entries.
  • Every time I've said category, take a shot. You'll be dead in a minute flat.

@Uselessnoob245

Fat Mom? Yes, I did.

I have my reasons for it, but let's not derail this thread.

So, about my proposed regulations: is everyone in agreement or should amendements be made?

Crabwhale said:
So, about my proposed regulations: is everyone in agreement or should amendements be made?
Yes, I also think we should find users willing to look for Category spam to remove it

Well, alright then. I suppose we just need Ryukama's opinion and (hopefully) a few other Admins. I have already contacted Ryu, and the others will probably see this at some point.

Maybe we should have a special tag shown next to the name of volunteers, sorta like Human Resources members of VSBW.

Here are some of the pages we should probably check first

4Chan Shitler (Yes, I'm willing to call out my own page)

Logan Paul

Any page created by Carlos

Basically all the pages I deleted from the Doom category count.

I just removed pointless categories from Mama Tattletail (Although I'm sure I missed a bunch, considering that abomination of a category box has over 1000), also, we should start removing categories that are just meaninless giberish spammed for the sake of spamming

MaxForward said:
Are you too lazy to do it yourself?
I'll do it myself.
Good, cause we do need the the compliance of creators on this as well.

I checked Logan's page and found nothing worth removing (Although just like MT, I probably missed something)

Seol404 said:
Ikereviews said:
God (the bible) has a lot of spam
That page should probably be deleted tbh
It should definitely be deleted. Religious profiles are highly prohibited.

Back