• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

How to calculate energy from earthquake generated by influencing tectonic movement?

Threemagi

He/Him
Apparently, we cant use 'Earthquake Calc' here. So I want to ask for ideas here. The character below inputted energy to directly move tectonic plate to sink island. But how much of energy it is?

The metal vessel “Gusion” has the ability to influence the tectonic movement itself and forces it to fluctuate.
Magi : Sinbad no Bouken 157
go.jpg

Zombo-Droid-29062021103614.jpg
According to scan above, I think 'The big energy loss' that comes through the movement of the tectonic plate or similar processes of natural earthquakes is somewhat acknowledged/present here.

I think the scan above also implied that Barbarossa's Gusion can be said to have terrible efficiency ratio since it inputs much more energy (to the point of 'admonishment' by in universe character because it need multiple people's worth of magic energy) for 'underwhelming result' ('just' able to sink island).

Edited out the wrong calc.

Last edited:
For a start, with the results of the calc you did, you definitely can't use seismic moment, for the simple reason that such 'natural' earthquakes can at most be 9.6 on the Richter scale.

In general that magic is said to make the continental plate oscillate, basically shacking it, instead of creating an earthquake from the movement of plates against each other. So I don't think total seismic moment would be appropriate here anyway.

I dunno if I agree with DT's assessment that you cannot use earthquake calculations for this solely because it is stronger than what is possible in real life. However, I absolutely disagree with your scaling method of the size of the island, given one of your images shows the island as having essentially just one city on it and nothing else, which takes up almost all of its surface.

I dunno if I agree with DT's assessment that you cannot use earthquake calculations for this solely because it is stronger than what is possible in real life.
Okay. No Earthquake calc.

How about manually moving/pushing the tectonic plate?
However, I absolutely disagree with your scaling method of the size of the island, given one of your images shows the island as having essentially just one city on it and nothing else, which takes up almost all of its surface.
That's fair.

Maybe it's only 1~2 km or so? Maybe even lower?

Thank you for your evaluation.

Last edited:
Well I was actually saying that I think an Earthquake calc could be allowed.

For this... is anything stopping you from scaling to the buildings? The POV is fucky but I think it can be done.

Okay. No Earthquake calc.
An earthquake calc based on radiated energy, instead of seismic moment, would be fine in my books.

I dunno if I agree with DT's assessment that you cannot use earthquake calculations for this solely because it is stronger than what is possible in real life.
I mean, there was also that other problem.

But generally speaking the limit for real-life earthquakes comes from the maximum strength with which two continental plates could push against each other without breaking. The seismic moment idea is based on this idea of taking into account the energy of plates pushing against each other in that way and the fragmentation and friction and stuff that consumes energy when they ultimately break.
Hence, if you produce an earthquake above that 9.6 limit, there are only two options:
  1. You do it in a fashion that seismic moment doesn't apply, since you don't create that stress between continental plates.
  2. You have continental plates that are different from our real-life continental plates / were magically altered.
In neither case you can just slap that same moment magnitude conversion on it, as the circumstances are different. Radiated energy is another story, though.

We are dealing in the realms of fiction, DT. It is entirely possible that the continental plates simply don't break. The math can still apply. It's far from the most unreasonable conclusion we've reached on this site.

We are dealing in the realms of fiction, DT. It is entirely possible that the continental plates simply don't break. The math can still apply. It's far from the most unreasonable conclusion we've reached on this site.
If they don't break then how does the formula, which's result relate to its breaking behaviour, still apply?

This is the same thing as us halving the yield of nuclear weapons for non-nuclear explosions. If the explosion isn't nuclear we only consider the blast wave energy in which we know a non-nuclear explosion to match. Similarly, if you don't create earthquakes using realistic continental plate behaviour, we only consider the part of the energy we know to be part of the earthquake anyway. Namely the radiated energy which is responsible for the actual shacking.

Making some "unreasonable conclusion" here at all just isn't necessary. We have an earthquake formula that applies to these cases. It's just not the one giving the highest results.

I will provide length of Old Sindria. I will reply to new posts later.

[×] Size of Old Sindria is 600 m
skel.jpg

Old Sindria 320 dp
House 8 dp

Average width/length of house = 15 m

House 8 dp = 15 m

Old Sindria 320 dp / 8 dp = 40 × 15 = 600 m

[×] Magi Entire World Size is Around 30~50 km

1st Map
World = 338 dp = 33.8 km
Where Old Sindria should be = 6 dp = 600 m

2nd Map
World = 487 dp = 58.4 km
Where Old Sindria should be = 5 dp = 600 m

×××

[×] Insane Scaling from Dark Continent
U7iugpf.png

Screenshot-20210813-133225.jpg

Calculationg the distance of the continent based on the 40 year statement.

We use the regular "days journey" which is a 32km walk a day as low end. This includes breaks, occasional changes in surface and changing weather.

32km/d x 365d x 40yrs = 467,200 km diameter of the dark continent in full.

Dark Cont. = 227 dp = 467,200 km
Entire World Continents (except Dark) = 133 dp = 274,823 km in length

×××

Well, size is all over the place... Idk what to use. Hundreds thousand km long continent .. or... dozens km long continent ...

But map is probably not for scale anyway. Author is probably not cartographer. And larger size in map does not mean it scales to reality.

So Old Sindria is probably really only 600 meters in length. Instead of some crazy size like hundreds km, haha.

Last edited:
Back