• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Berserk author Kentaro Miura has passed away.

KLOL506

He/Him
VS Battles
Calculation Group
This may come as a shock to you all, but Kentaro Miura, the legendary author of Berserk, is no longer with us.

Official tweet in Japanese confirming his death:

Last edited:
Hearing about this was a shock.

Guy seems like he was still at an age to keep going for another and truly could have.

Sad for those close to him to lose him suddenly (seriously, that’s a hell of a way to go...) and just as much for his life’s work to go unfinished too.

Never read his work either but I know it has certainly made an impact in the media world in its own way.

This is sad... Berserk is such an awesome series, and I do not know how it's going to go without him.

images.png

As a Berserk fan, this completely struck me, I really hoped it was a fake news.

Something that I find almost magical, is that he left his characters in an heaven-like place, where they are happy and far from the cruel world, especially now that
Caska recovered her memory
. There are indeed bitter parts, but if Berserk was to stop here, at least Guts and his party will remain forever in a good place and not in the midst of some cruel battle or tragic event.

It's literally the first thing I heard in the morning, what a horrible day.

It's such a loss for such a great author to die at this age, I mean 54 isn't that old at all.

Also if Berserk wasn't tragic enough already, now it won't even finish.
I hope they pick it up somehow from his drafts and notes.

Otherwise, rest in peace you legend and thx for the journey that was Berserk.

I still remember when I first got into Berserk with the Golden Age movies, I absolutely adored how well crafted yet brutal the world was. I dunno something about the setting resonated with me.

Then when I finally started reading the manga, I was immediately entranced by the sublime artwork and that's when I knew I was going truly enjoy this franchise.

Sleep well Kentaro Miura, you were and still are a legend!

Damn, what a weird day this was.

I'm a Berserk fan for almost a decade, and this work had touched and influenced me in many ways, from how I look at fictional works to how I write my own stories. I may not see the ending of this landmark of the fantasy genre, but at least the journey was a damn fantastic one!

RIP Kentaro Miura

I do not have the time to watch that video. My apologies.

As much as I am a critic of the work, Berserk has influences on my taste for fictional works. It was because of this manga, that I became interested in the genre "cosmic horror" and got to know one of the best games I've ever played in my life (Bloodborne). There would be no Dark Souls or Bloodborne without Kentaro Miura and his work. I am grateful that he could have written and designed a work that caused me a conflict of emotions, and also grateful that we could see his super detailed art.

Life is very short, we must make the most of it.

While I agree verses portrayals on deities can often just be misunderstandings; such as the main villain being merely an impersonator as opposed to them being outright "mockeries" of them. And the actual in verse version of said deity makes no physical appearance and it's up to interpretation if either they actually exist or if they actually have a positive portrayal but just doesn't physically show it in the work.

But, this is a controversial topic so we should avoid making comments that may cause others to debate. Let's keep the primary focus on his legacy and appreciation of how hard he worked. But nothing wrong with comments intended to be words of encouragement regardless of viewpoints and the like.

The concept of "god" in fictional works reached the same level as character genres. Vampires, werewolves, even "Supermans", are genres of characters. "God" can be a character, no problem.

And the actual in verse version of said deity makes no physical appearance and it's up to interpretation if either they actually exist or if they actually have a positive portrayal but just doesn't physically show it in the work.
I mean... it's cosmic horror. It can be only an illusion from a cosmic being.

Today is one sad day.
I’ve played the dark souls games so I know the impact Miura had on so many people.
I recently started reading berserk then I woke up in the morning to this news.

I simply had no words, he was so young and Berserk was left incomplete. I hope the best for his family and those who were close to him they’re probably handling the news of his passing even worse right now.

Even if Miura's gone, there's nothing else left for us to do but move on. It's quite ironic, his life-long project is basically about telling everyone that they should move on from their horrible past and trauma, and strive to become a better and stronger version of themselves tommorow, yet Miura treated himself poorly and overworked himself to his grave. Berserk will forever hold a special place in my heart, and the hearts of other people who managed to stumble upon his incredible work.

I never got into Berserk, but it was always a series that I saw was held in incredibly high regard, both in its storytelling and its art. On that basis alone, I had massive respect for Miura, especially with how harsh the manga industry can be. As for me specifically, one of my favorite series is Black Clover. I say this because Black Clover's mangaka Yuki Tabata took a great deal of inspiration from Berserk, so without Berserk, there wouldn't have been Black Clover.

Very late notice, but rest in peace to an absolute legend.

Back