• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Baseline 9-B Tournament Round 4 - Seras Victoria vs Fanged Deserter

The way I see it, the Fanged Deserter has a very good way to deal with her, really, in fact, I'd bet on a scenario in which he causes a lethal wound to her that would kill later with almost certainty, the thing is that I see her killing him first.

Ranged combat with pistols isn't a simple matter of getting close. While a melee fighter needs to do so to have a chance, as you get closer, it becomes harder and harder to avoid being shot. While the Deserter has the superior options in versatility and lethality, Seras' are much more straightforward and harder to avoid than the Deserter (Boomerang V.S. Gun. Eve with equalized speed, the boomerang has a more difficult to predict arc, while bullets can be fired on a much greater sequence and with greater variety in angles by simply moving the gun a bit), but I bet that he'd manage to do so. After all, he has the dog and should be able to tank a few shots, considering his profile.

With that being out of the way, melee combat is also tricky. Again, he is the more lethal one in the sense of having more options to cause lethal wounds, but she can regenerate from many of the things, ignore them for the time being by being undead and... well, she is stronger. That would be it for me, but FD has the fate stuff that can give him a good edge a lethal, good strike where he otherwise wouldn't have one...

To be honest, I'm leaning towards inconclusive. Perhaps I'll change my mind later, but I can see this going either way. In fact, if the fight didn't stop after one of them died, I'd bet on mutual kill.

I think it's rather unlikely for Seras to die after the fight. Vampires are at least implied to only permanently die after heart or brain is destroyed (although they do not necessarily regenerate). Feats wise Seras could at least survive a while after having her arm ripped off.
Additionally, she would awaken to her 9-A Low-Mid Regen self should she drink any of her opponent's blood, which would hence be restricted during the fight itself, but still.

What the boomerang is concerned... aside from catching it, I think Seras probably has the necessary aim to shoot it out of the air. Actually, could she potentially just destroy it?

The way I see it, the Fanged Deserter has a very good way to deal with her, really, in fact, I'd bet on a scenario in which he causes a lethal wound to her that would kill later with almost certainty, the thing is that I see her killing him first.

Ranged combat with pistols isn't a simple matter of getting close. While a melee fighter needs to do so to have a chance, as you get closer, it becomes harder and harder to avoid being shot. While the Deserter has the superior options in versatility and lethality, Seras' are much more straightforward and harder to avoid than the Deserter (Boomerang V.S. Gun. Eve with equalized speed, the boomerang has a more difficult to predict arc, while bullets can be fired on a much greater sequence and with greater variety in angles by simply moving the gun a bit), but I bet that he'd manage to do so. After all, he has the dog and should be able to tank a few shots, considering his profile.

With that being out of the way, melee combat is also tricky. Again, he is the more lethal one in the sense of having more options to cause lethal wounds, but she can regenerate from many of the things, ignore them for the time being by being undead and... well, she is stronger. That would be it for me, but FD has the fate stuff that can give him a good edge a lethal, good strike where he otherwise wouldn't have one...

To be honest, I'm leaning towards inconclusive. Perhaps I'll change my mind later, but I can see this going either way. In fact, if the fight didn't stop after one of them died, I'd bet on mutual kill.
Incon, the Tourney killer

Even if "logically" a vampire/undead could surmount an illness, since Seras doesn't have resistance against disease, I say it would affect her regardless.

How often can FG's fate thing proc and how reliable is it? If it's not common enough, I don't see him winning >50% of the time.

Even if "logically" a vampire/undead could surmount an illness, since Seras doesn't have resistance against disease, I say it would affect her regardless.

How often can FG's fate thing proc and how reliable is it? If it's not common enough, I don't see him winning >50% of the time.
100% reliable, at best a small handful of times- however that small handful can totally undo a potential death. Anywho, I feel now is a decent enough time to point out a minor nitpick- even if FD gets hit, he can survive. A bullet passing through non-vital areas of his body is hardly going to kill him outright or even do significant damage.

Just another small factor, but a factor nonetheless.

Can he survive multiple hits from a 3.5 AP difference, though?

Also how good is Seras in melee combat? Is it normal? (her P&A section doesn't highlight it)

Last edited:
I mean, it's not as much resisting as it is surviving it due to being immortal. Effects other than dying could take effect.

A bullet passing through non-vital areas of his body is hardly going to kill him outright or even do significant damage.

Just another small factor, but a factor nonetheless.
Seras has super aim, though. And a hit in muscles or nerves would seriously hinder his movement, no?

Also how good is Seras in melee combat? Is it normal? (her P&A section doesn't highlight it)
She knows stuff like grappling from having received police training.
Also has some pretty brutal battle instincts.

Yeah, I can't decide, this does look like inconclusive to me. I'm betting that Seras can avoid the boomerang/divert its trajectory with her gunfire, and really, she has the tools and skillset to take a more likely victory in melee, which I think FD would get into more times than not, but if that happened, he has the fate stuff to score good hits right on the noggin using the headcrackin' weapon. If it was something skill-based, it'd be fair to question if he'd land it, but a fate-based power kind of works on that principle.

If I had to lean towards someone winning and I couldn't pick inconclusive, I'd bet on Seras, but tbh, it's a minor difference.

I mean, it's not as much resisting as it is surviving it due to being immortal. Effects other than dying could take effect.

Seras has super aim, though. And a hit in muscles or nerves would seriously hinder his movement, no?

She knows stuff like grappling from having received police training.
Also has some pretty brutal battle instincts.

Seras has super aim and uses it against people she is faster than. Being of equal speed and at close range (10 meters and quickly closing) makes this less of a boon. And sure, but again, not every hit is going to manage to do those. I think most people would be shocked how many bullet wounds do practically no damage because its just enter skin on one side and exit the other without hitting anything. I'm not gonna argue this as a primary point, but I do think it is a minor advantage to be taken into consideration.

I don't think her CQC meets Deserter who quite literally has only been a soldier as long as they have lived (albeit a soldier without an army). But noted.

I don't think her CQC meets Deserter who quite literally has only been a soldier as long as they have lived (albeit a soldier without an army). But noted.
Yeah, but some technical advantage in CQC doesn't work as well if the opponent has a huge stat advantage. At least unless it's the fictional nonsense level of skill.
Your skill at blocking punches stops mattering if the opponent's punch can break whichever body part you block with. Like, Seras can throw that dude into the next wall with one hand.

The cqc thing matters more when weapons come into play, though. 3ish times gap isn't going to stop you from being cut into and bled out by someone who knows what they're doing.

The cqc thing matters more when weapons come into play, though. 3ish times gap isn't going to stop you from being cut into and bled out by someone who knows what they're doing.
That is very true, normal people have been reported to kill much larger animals who have more than a 3x times difference to their strength.

The thing is, Seras also has weapons, which makes this more troublesome, and she is more skilled than a simple brute.

Not exactly rebutting the idea, I agree that weapons make the strength less important and favours FD, but it is something to consider.

Minor cuts would easily be regened from, though. So cutting is a two-edged sword. On one hand, causing damage is easier, on the other hand, the damage is easier to heal afterwards.
Also, given that her lifting strength is 1000x higher than his, she could take away his weapons like stealing a babies pacifier.

Wouldn't call stuff that hits major arteries minor, given that those can have someone dead in under a minute. Lot of them aren't that deep. There's stuff in the legs, neck, iirc shoulder's a dangerous spot, etc.

Gripping the blade of a sword that hard doesn't sound like a very good idea for someone interested in retaining their fingers.

Gripping the blade of a sword that hard doesn't sound like a very good idea for someone interested in retaining their fingers.
Grabbing a sword hard enough is infact a valid way to restrain it. Obviously not against someone strong enough to pull it back, but there are entire sword techniqes around grabbing the blade and using it as a handle. A blade can't cut if it cant move

I guess it would depend how you grab it. It wouldn't really need to move if you just clamped a fist around it without much of a thought, since you'd be squeezing your own hand onto a sharp object. Catching a sword like that in speed equal doesn't sound like a terribly likely prospect and she doesn't appear to be wearing stuff that would allow for her to get it safely stuck against something to trap it.

I know that technique, it is quite normal in european swordsmanship. That being said, there are some caveats.

You usually only grab a blade after it had been stopped, even if just for a moment, such as when you bind your sword, block a strike or manage to slow it down. Simply grabbing is way too dangerous for human reflexes to do. Once you do get a good grab, however, it is quite hard to get cut. You can still get cut if you grip it a bit too weakly or if the person manages to wriggle it enough to make a slicing cut (easier said than done, but a curved sword makes it more likely), but it is generally viable.

You also aren't exactly trying to put pressure on the actual sharp bits there, you're more trying to grab around the flat of the sword. If you just sorta clamp down on a sharp object you're not really going to like that without some layer between the softer flesh and the thing. Go try squeezing the blade of a kitchen knife real hard if you want but I'm not liable for any injuries incurred.

Anyways, it doesn't really seem like she has a real way to trap the blade like that, since she's apparently inferior in that sort of combat and also isn't wearing any sort of armor or thick padding/leather to get it to stop. They're the same speed and you aren't really going to catch a swing like that without being way faster or getting a read, with a read being less likely due to her inferiority.

Thing is, with Deserter having a stat disadvantage it isn't like he can just cut off her hand with a single strike. Like, I couldn't easily completly cut off a hand with a blade and I have strength comparable to my durability. We are talking about cutting through bones here, even if they are not very thick.
So, what if the blade cuts into her flesh upon an attempt to grab it? She can still disarm him and that wound will be healed in seconds by her regeneration.

Seras can also fight with a lot of damage. She actually would have no problem to continue fighting even if the sword impaled her. Anderson impaled her with 9 blessed silver blades (anti-vampire weapons) and she could still continue running after pulling them out again. She could literally let herself get stabbed, disarm him like that and would still have an advantage in a physical fight.

and I have strength comparable to my durability

You probably actually don't, given that bone breaking ends up with 9-C joule outputs.

So, from what I hear so far, Seras can start shooting at the dog and the Deserter, and then once it gets close (as it doesn't go down with simple shots) she stills holds an advantage in AP and lifting strength, on top of her regen and good stamina, which could allow her to ignore even potentially deep wounds and murder the FG.

The FG still has weapons for better range in close combat and the Shoe would deal a fuckton of damage to Seras, but it has to hits first and then get the 1 on 6 chance of destroying the skull. The fate-bending Omen are also good, but I'm unsure if all of this can still allow it to overcome Seras.

Currently I'm leaning towards her.

alright i didn't count the votes since the debate was still going on so probably will start to do that

I mean, my vote stands, I think the skull cracker is a huge benefit from range and gives FD a better edge at range. In melee, he's primarily a CQC fighter anyways. Even without an AP advantage he has a few tricks to keep him alive and going.

My vote remains.

I'm obviously voting for ma girl Seras.
She holds a pretty large advantage in every combat situation and should be able to take multiple hits of whatever FD throws at her. Skull Cracker can be dodged, caught, destroyed or tanked.
Omens are the only thing that keep FD alive long enough for this to even be a competition and they will only delay the inevitable.

alright i didn't count the votes since the debate was still going on so probably will start to do that
actually i'm just gonna count votes made after this one since i feel most of the stuff in the debate has been stated already

Back