• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Azure Striker Gunvolt Discussion Thread 2: Insert running joke for every Gunvolt discussion thread after this

Question: Due to Copen's Septima resistance, would it be reasonable to assume his base durability against non-septima is lower? Espesially since his normal armor without Septima resistance needs to take up large amounts of his stamina to work.

It's a statement. It's considered to be the reason Milas' technology manipulation (And presumably Teseo's tech manipulation and Tenjian's AZ) don't work on Copen.

Oh that, yes, I forgot. I think that's only referring to their effects, not the actual force behind them. Milas should be able to disable his equipment, but he can't, same with Teseo's abilities which should be perfect for the job, but that the armor itself deflects attacks from the attacks that do such themselves. So it seems clear that it's resisting the hax part of Septima, not the AP part of it (i mean, i'm assuming it does since that's what armor is supposed to do, but... idk where im going with this).

INTI is doing a stream about Gunvolt and Gal Gun. I can't watch it since I'm going to bed, just thought I'd tell you all in case you're staying up later or living in another time zone.

I believe it's quite reasonable to interpret Viper's speed feat as combat speed, or speed in short bursts. Don't forget, Viper mainly stands still as he fights, before using sudden, quick movements (I should know, that battle strategy of his made a no-hit no-prevasion run into a living hell). This would be consistent with Gibril's feat also being combat speed. Meanwhile, Ghauri's feat would be movement speed, which would still be Sub-Rel+, meaning we could still use Kinetic Energy.

Actually as much as I don't feel like this is super solid stuff, there argument is reasonable. Viper's fighting style, I'm not quite sure, but this lines up with the fact that characters can't travel instantaneously from place to place with their speed, otherwise, they wouldn't need various vehicles and modes of travel to get to the places they need to go, like with the very example of Copen needing a bike to catch up with Ghauri, and the various train rides throughout the series. I'll need to play the games again to remember more examples, but this does have grounds considering the feel of the setting.

It feels really shaky though, it really can be just... him moving at light speed all the time. Idk. It just feels like a very shaky argument, just like Demerzel's Energy Conversion.

Also got Gunvolt on Switch, maybe i can do something with it

Demerzel's Energy Conversion is only not allowed due to not being a direct statement.

We could have "At least Low 7-C, likely Low 7-B" for AP and "At least Sub-Relativistic+, possibly Speed of Light. Speed of Light combat speed and reactions".

Speed of Light in everything. It's all real laser and photons, stated in the Dangeki Profiles, which are indeed official and completely legitimate. At the current moment I have all translations with me. Further evidence is that Copen's Border II is directly inspired by his Septima, and was only possible due to studying Jota's Septima, and it's a "Photon Blaster", and it reacts just how light should, in a straight line, in gameplay, the attacks travel nigh instantaneously to show this, along with the fact that the crystals in Ghauri's stage reflect the laser, let still keep it in a straight line. And because it's based off of Jota's Septima, it's pretty set in stone that Jota controls real light. He even says that his light is even faster than normal light, though he may just be gloating. However, he also states that Viper and Gibril's attacks are speed of light (dodging the latter's easily), before again, gloating about his even faster speed. As well, most Sumeragi weapons are indeed "Photon Blasters" according to Luminous Avenger iX.

I hope you don't think I'm making this up though, because it really is the real stuff translated.

Also, why did you ask? Did I make a mistake when remastering Jota's page?

Hm, also Smashor, I guess you can give it a try, but don't think I'm going to have your back since I'm not confident about this despite evidence pointing to such

Also Sub Rel really only works for Ghauri, what would everyone else have?

Played through GV1 again

I recall Smashor saying that it took place in one night. That isn't possible according to Matt Papa's translation.

At the end of the first mission, GV picks up Joule and goes freelancer, for half a year, until the events of the rest of the game. By the end of the game, when Joule gets kidnapped, QUILL goes out to save her, and Zeno said something along the lines of "ironic how we're trying to save the person we were assigned to terminate 1 year ago", something like that.

Accounting for the half a year going freelance to the beginning of the main stages, Gunvolt only did the main missions periodically to make up for the second half of that year.

On another note, Gibril's SP Skill only pierces GV's Prevasion, not Copen's

Played through GV1 again

I recall Smashor saying that it took place in one night. That isn't possible according to Matt Papa's translation.

At the end of the first mission, GV picks up Joule and goes freelancer, for half a year, until the events of the rest of the game. By the end of the game, when Joule gets kidnapped, QUILL goes out to save her, and Zeno said something along the lines of "ironic how we're trying to save the person we were assigned to terminate 1 year ago", something like that.

Accounting for the half a year going freelance to the beginning of the main stages, Gunvolt only did the main missions periodically to make up for the second half of that year.
Alright, makes sense, we can change that. GV's stamina is mostly from pain tolerance and not dying of dehydration in Viper's stage.

On another note, Gibril's SP Skill only pierces GV's Prevasion, not Copen's
Well, that seems hard to explain. Maybe she does something with Gunvolt's blood but can't with Copen due to his Septimal resistance?

2 things:

One, there's possibly a FTL combat/reaction speed feat, given Nova was able to use the Star Dragon Satellite's lasers to attack Gibril when she was on the planet's surface. This means the lasers had to travel from orbit to the surface in a pretty quick period of time (An actual timeframe probably wouldn't be hard to get, given it happened in a Drama CD). This would directly scale to Nova's attack speed and Gunvolt's reactions.

Two, I've finally decided to get around to making a Civilization profile for Sumeragi (Though only for the main timeline version, LAiX's version is different enough to get it's own profile)

The first one seems somewhat possible I guess- Star Dragon is indeed on a higher altitude than Firmament, so we can use the final battle as a reference ig?

Jota should be FTL already tho in a way, tho its a claim, he manages to dodge gibril's attacks and then go "impressive but im better"

Looks cool. I also have a question for profiles

Should we put in a Fighting Tactics section, since we have boss battles for both GV and Copen? However, I'm not quite sure if that's accurate to how they would actually fight, such as simply just letting Prevasion go out because otherwise it'd be too hard for players to beat them-

Instead, should we combine how we're supposed to play the characters instead of solely basing things off of their somewhat nerfed boss fights (aside from skill spamming)?

Just leave it vague with some focus on character from the boss fight, and make sure to look more at the "canon" side than the game mechanics one.

I consider Prevasion Spam to be game mechanics, but it's pretty reasonable that Gunvolt would want to keep his EP up at all times (which is what he does, using split second and recharge before and after flashfield), whether its for Prevasion is unknown. At the same time, him just letting Prevasion run out could also just be game mechanics because otherwise he'd be really hard to beat.

I think using Drama CDs, Blade Strangers, and the OVA (which is media approved by Into) would help us give a picture of what GV's fighting is like as secondary sources, since the Boss doesn't give us much insight on what he does defensively aside from taking the hits.

Blade Strangers shouldn't really be used outside of saying that GV has fighting capacity and that it backs up his claim of knowing karate basically

Last edited:
Prevasion is passive, so obviously it's something he spams, he stomps most bossed out of this useful ability, after all.

There is only one small instance where GV fights. In the Acura Chapter, the CD starts off at GV vs Copen in GV1, where we find one minor point, that GV seems somewhat adaptive and he has no problem dodging Greed Snatcher, without much trouble (combined with how he fights in the OVA, he makes an actual effort to dodge as well, so we can infer that he doesn't rely completely on Prevasion, as well, most mid stage dialogue ignore the existence of Prevasion, and have GV or the team rely more on Flashfield or dodging for defense). Secondly, the Drama CD is a third source where Gunvolt uses Luxcaliber as his finisher move, along side the OVA and the Boss Fight

GV doesn't rely on prevasion, but that doesn't mean he'd leave up flashfield if it doesn't block something.

Gunvolt's Striking Strength, as mentioned before, should scale to his Septima due to Blade. Asimov was also to damage the Aix gear with his bare hands. Also, Greed Snatcher/Power Grab reduces one's defenses to that of a normal human, GV being able to take hits from Copen and Asimov when Chaffed is likely game mechanics. Asimov one shot Gunvolt with a bullet, and when under the effects of the attack Asimov himself had to dodge a kick from Nori. It should also be noted that even Greed Snatcher does not disable any skills, meaning all Adepts would likely get resistance to powernull when using their strongest moves.

Nori herself is an interesting character in her own right. Copen was confident she could easily defeat all of the footsoldiers in Firament with just a heavy gun. Copen's intuition isn't something to ignore, either, considering he correctly predicted that Gunvolt would beat Nova despite his own collected data suggesting otherwise. She easily lifted Copen with his armor, and barely reacted to Asimov's Voltaic Chains. She's probably a top tier among the human level characters in the verse.

Copen also should get Stealth Mastery for being able to sneak into and almost out of Firament without being spotted. He probably would have gotten away with nobody but Gunvolt knowing he was there had it not been for Asimov checking out his only way out.

Gunvolt primarily dodges over using Flashfield as seen in the OVA, he'd probably only use Flashfield defensively if he has to, as he never used it that way in his Boss Fight

My guy Zoro, if you need help with it just let us know. I recommend just playing with the games first though. A lot of the background lore and some feats do come from Drama CDs, Dangeki Profiles, and others, but Sidier's Youtube Channel basically has everything you need in terms of that.

Okay, here's what I got for Standard Tactics

While it's quite vague how he fights due to the lack of information and a boss fight that doesn't abuse overpowered abilities to decrease difficulty, Gunvolt's standard approach to combat can be determined based on the games' basic combat flow and mechanics, as well as his boss fight in Azure Striker Gunvolt 2

Since there isn't much information to go off of, it's quite safe to assume that Gunvolt utilizes Skill is best fit for the job, healing when he is at lower health, or using Crashbolt to attack enemies too high for him.

Gunvolt's fighting style revolves around his electrical capabilities. His preferred tactic, employed in his boss fight and appearance in OVA, is to Tag with his firearm's Bolts at a distance or while moving acrobatically before shocking them immediately afterwards with the Flashfield. While he seems to wait until three Tags are landed, Gunvolt has shown to activate his Flashfield before then as seen in the OVA. Regardless of when he performs it, if he happens to be Overheated by the time he lands his desired amount of tags, he will utilize the skill Split Second to give him the chance to attack; he can do this as many times as he wants. After he lands his Flashfield, he immediately Recharges to refill his EP, before repeating the process.

In close quarters combat, Gunvolt utilizes Dragonsphere to deal lasting damage, possibly giving the incentive for his opponent to back away. While trained in karate, backed with his appearance in Blade Strangers, Gunvolt's style still heavily revolves around ranged combat.

Should he decide to finish his opponent off, or if he is in a pinch, Gunvolt utilizes an Offensive Skill. He prefers Luxcaliber over his other attacks, shown in his Boss Battle, OVA, and the Copen Chapter Drama CD

If he recognizes that he needs to finish a fight fast, such as if there is a hostage involved, Gunvolt dashes into range utilizes Astrasphere.

Shown thrice that he typically uses brute force to get out of holds, Iron Maidens, Ice Traps, Petrification. Though, this sometimes doesn't work as with Carrera, Eden Drones, and Desna

Gunvolt also seems to know when he is outmatched, and decides to retreat if given the chance as shown against Copen in the Frozen City

Once Anthem is activated, Gunvolt's entire fighting style is switched to unleashing massively attacks repeatedly. Gunvolt exclusively utilizes Luxcaliber Shoot, and then Astrasphere Mandala and Voltaic Chains Thunder later on. When he's pressed, he activates Septimal Surge to double his damage output for all three of these devastating attacks. Gunvolt typically air dashes and air hops to get into better position for these attacks, especially Astrasphere Mandala.

On the defensive side, Gunvolt showings don't have much to go off of. As shown in the OVA, he doesn't completely rely on Prevasion, as he makes an active effort to dodge and weave away from attacks or colliding withe enemies, even while Prevasion is actively protecting him. He prefers to dodge enemy attacks as seen in the OVA, but it's likely that he determines whether guarding with his Flashfield or dodge is more suitable, such as dodging Greed Snatcher bullets. Throughout both games, he mostly ignores the existence of Prevasion as evidenced by midstage dialogue, instead either being told to use his Flashfield to block enemy attacks, commenting that he could disarm Gibril's blood traps with his Flashfield, or being told to watch out for spike traps when Prevasion can easily negate the damage.

It's also important to note that Copen relies on his own Prevasion way more than Gunvolt does, despite being far more maneuverable and debatably faster. Even his Luminous Avenger iX self, who has way more skill and experience than Copen in Gunvolt 2, simply took an attack from Blade, expecting his Prevasion to work. Copen's more likely to abuse his Prevasion to be able to attack without worry, which puts him in a bad spot if his enemy can ignore it.

Also, I'm gonna make the CRT to change up the speed and AP now. We can discuss that there. Also, is there anything else I should bring up on the CRT?

His iX self has way more experience than Copen himself does, so it's reasonable to assume a blunder Cyborg Copen would make would also be made by Human Copen.

So since the verse is likely gonna be L7B, which happens to be pretty popular, does anyone have any matchup ideas? (well, as soon as it gets approved)

Back