• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

DC Comics - Animal Man Cosmology Determination

Status
Not open for further replies.
So in the past there’s been a lot of Animal Man threads that have attempted to try and change Animal Man’s tier. These threads either failed or succeeded but would leave out lots of information. Which is pretty understandable as the 1988 Animal Man run is kind of long and can be confusing at times. Even I myself feel like I’ve gotten many things wrong in past threads involving this character. However after spending months reading the story over and over again, I think I’ve finally actually figured it all out.

Quick introduction. This thread is going to basically cover the cosmology presented in Animal Man and Animal Man’s tier. The cosmology in Animal Man incorporates some stuff from David Bohm's theory of the Implicate Order, The Many Worlds theory, and Shamanistic cosmological ideas.

To start off I’ll have to introduce you to something called the Red/Lifeweb and the structures it comprises. The first two structures aren’t really that important from a cosmological standpoint but I will briefly go over them. The first kingdom is the domain of quantum physics/spirit. It exists beneath our experiences. The second is our 3D reality.(Animal Man #82) Encompassing our 3D reality is obviously our native universe or world/spacetime continuum. It is important to note that the word “world” is most often used throughout the Animal Man run to reference our spacetime continuum.(Animal Man #24)
To add on, there is also a multiverse of multiple universes.

Multiple Universes
Multiple Universes is a concept that was accessed by Buddy after he went into a coma.
Since the universe is constantly splitting into new branches with there being any number of alternative universes and countless variations of Animal Man stretching in all directions towards infinity, this is 2-A.

Moving on I’d like to cover a realm that is important to Buddy’s scaling but not that significant to the overall scaling of the cosmology.

Space Beyond All Knowing
Lying behind and outside our native universe is the Space Beyond All Knowing. A place not of time and space, the moment before created existence.(Animal Man #50)
The tier of this realm is most likely Low 1-C as it’s the space of the dream where thought becomes the template and the Animal Masters bring forth the dream of the universe.

Now that these have been covered, we can get into the nitty gritty.

Hierarchy of Universes
Encompassing our world is a hierarchy often called The Physical or Interconnected Universe.
The hierarchy of universes is a vast interconnection where each part of the universe contains the whole, with the universe being a system of these wholes made up of smaller and smaller wholes continuing downward until our native world/reality is like a cell in the body of God. With the body of God representing the whole system and there being reality to fiction differences between each smaller whole in the system. As even the Writer would wonder who dreams who within the interconnection.

The Lifeweb/The Red
Spanning to encompass the entirety of space, time and then stretching even higher is the Lifeweb.
Existing beyond the Lifewebs stretch of both space and time, this level of the Lifeweb treats higher dimensions as just images reflected from mirrors sitting in a timeless sea. Also it is important to note that the Lifeweb continues stretching beyond this level all the way into infinity.

Peak of the Lifeweb
At the top and highest level of the Lifeweb resides the Imaginal worlds and the Third Kingdom.
Since the the Lifeweb stretches to encompass both space and time and then also goes beyond that by encompassing a realm where higher dimensions are just reflections in mirrors within a timeless sea, we can conclude that if the Lifeweb kept stretching all the way into infinity each stretch would encompass more levels that would seemingly trivialize the last. With the imaginal worlds sitting at the top of Lifeweb functioning as more fundamental and foundational realities that exist outside of time and space.

The World Soul
Conceptually encompassing the entire Lifeweb as the big idea and the whole amongst wholes is the World Soul.
As stated above, the World Soul conceptually encompasses the three kingdoms/Lifeweb as the big idea and transcends it simultaneously as the whole amongst wholes in the mind and body of God. Surpassing every individual soul in creation and seeing every soul as one.

Worlds beyond the Third Kingdom
Standing beyond the three kingdoms/Lifeweb and existing as a larger structure than the World Soul, are the worlds beyond the third kingdom(Animal Man #87), where Buddy Baker met the Black Queen.
Sitting external to the entirety of the Lifeweb, while also containing the World Soul itself which conceptually encompasses the whole universe/lifeweb and all three kingdoms as something called “the big idea” the Worlds Beyond the Third Kingdom are probably the most mysterious part of the cosmology. Nobody actually knows about them except for Buddy and the Black Queen.

The Great Light
Existing as a middle ground between the Implicate Order and reality is the Great Light.
The Great Light is the idea/manifestation of the vast absence or non-existence that lies behind what Animal Man calls reality. Whether this idea the Great Light represents is the void or something else, is never actually specified. However, knowing that this is Morrison I wouldn’t be surprised if it was a manifestation of the void meant to function as a middle ground between the Implicate Order and reality. As the Great Light is indirectly referred to as the comic book page.(Animal Man #24)

The Implicate Order/Comic Book Limbo
Transcending all of what I’ve mentioned so far is the Implicate Order/Comic Book Limbo.
The Implicate Order is essentially the highest structure within the cosmology presented in Animal Man. It treats everything Buddy has ever known, that is, was, and shall be, as only a hallucination with nothing, not even the creators/authors who reside in the Implicate Order being considered real. Furthermore, the Implicate Order trivializes all ideal worlds imaginable to the point where they’re just attempts at trying to describe the Implicate Orders infinite possibility. Due to this it’s within reason for us to say that the Implicate Order must stand so completely beyond the entirety of the cosmology beneath it to such a degree that no ideal world/realm imaginable is enough to describe it. It’s also important for me to point out that all stories and characters a part of continuity come to an end at the Implicate Order. With everything and everyone unfortunate enough to be forgotten and winding up there functioning on a level that stands absolutely outside of the narratives and stories that define existence.

Here is the scaling chain of the cosmology for tiering.
  1. Multiple universes: 2-A
  2. Space Beyond all knowing: Low 1-C
  3. Hierarchy of Universes: 2-C to High 1-B
  4. Lifeweb: Low 1-A
  5. Peak of the Lifeweb: low 1-A
  6. World Soul: 1-A
  7. Worlds Beyond: 1-A
  8. Implicate Order: High 1-A

Last edited:
I’d also like to make an abilities addition thread as I feel like he’s missing some stuff and will need more abilities for his second key if my last proposal gets accepted.

So my first proposal is to change Buddy’s tier from wall level to “9-B varies up to 2-C with powers” due to blatantly creating a universe.
I can’t give any input here because I know nothing about Animal Man, but do you mean Low 2-C here? 2-C is for multiple universes.

Very good job in general. Looking at the Space Beyond All Knowing part, I don't think it's Low 1-C.

The tier of this realm is most likely low 2-C as it’s a space predating and containing the dream of our native universe.
Don't you mean (at least) Low 1-C, since worlds are continually being generated by that realm "without effort", and it exists beyond regular space and time?

Also, how far does this "hierarchy of universes" go? If it's something like an infinite fractal or "endless universal stack", then the even higher realms of this cosmology can easily be rated 1-A or even High 1-A.

Don't you mean (at least) Low 1-C, since worlds are continually being generated by that realm "without effort", and it exists beyond regular space and time?
When they say "worlds come to be without effort" they were just talking about planets. As Buddy only recreated our native universe from the space beyond all knowing. However it could be Low 1-C as it's essentially the space where thought becomes the template and where the Animal Masters existed dreaming up our native reality. However everyone else has disagreed with this for some reason so I'm waiting to here why.

Also, how far does this "hierarchy of universes" go? If it's something like an infinite fractal or "endless universal stack", then the even higher realms of this cosmology can easily be rated 1-A or even High 1-A.
The hierarchy is endless as it spirals down until our universe is nothing but a single cell in the body of God. With the body of God representing the entirety of the system.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Okay. Which tiers do the rest of you think seem appropriate?

When they say "worlds come to be without effort" they were just talking about planets. As Buddy only recreated our native universe from the space beyond all knowing. However it could be Low 1-C as it's essentially the space where thought becomes the template and where the Animal Masters existed dreaming up our native reality. However everyone else has disagreed with this for some reason so I'm waiting to here why.
Since metaphysical realities are consistently portrayed as higher categories of being in Animal Man, and "our native reality" is but a dream to the denizens of the "Space Beyond All Knowing", one can confidently rate this realm as Low 1-C.

hierarchy is endless as it spirals down until our universe is nothing but a single cell to the body of God. With the body of God representing the entirety of the system.
The scans you brought up didn't mention how many specific levels this hierarchy "spirals down", although the fact that the (physical) universe is described as the "body of God", composed of interconnected "wholes" within "wholes" that "spiral down" until they are no more than a cell of the "body of God", does seem to suggest infinite recursion in terms of how these "wholes" are stacked, and an infinitely bigger series of "God-bodies".

Since metaphysical realities are consistently portrayed as higher categories of being in Animal Man, and "our native reality" is but a dream to the denizens of the "Space Beyond All Knowing", one can confidently rate this realm as Low 1-C.
The first seems to be an association rather than a fact. For the second, I don't see clear how "our native reality" is but a dream to the denizens of the Space Beyond All Knowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back