• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

An Important Addition to the Existence Erasure Page

Status
Not open for further replies.
This should be quick. Basically, EE should have an informal type system similar to intangibility, with the types being as follows:

Physical Erasure: Complete erasure of all the physical components of a target, such as the matter and particles that make up their body.

Non-Physical Erasure: Complete erasure of all non-physical aspects of a target, such as the soul or mind.

Fundamental Erasure: Complete erasure of the fundamental information that allows a target to exist, such as the concept of their existence, their place in the timeline, or their place in the narrative.

Obviously these are very non-specific and the exact definitions should be discussed further, but it should serve as a decent baseline for now.

Just to clarify, this is not a suggestion to make EE types a requirement on all profiles like, say, immortality types. It'd simply be optional for anyone making or editing a page, similarly to intangibility.

Finally, for all EE users whose method of erasure is unknown, they would default to Physical Erasure as per the EE page's description of "this ability's destructive power is not absolute, and one should not assume that it can erase the soul by default".

Last edited:
This should be quick. Basically, EE should have an informal type system similar to intangibility, with the types being as follows:

Physical Erasure: Complete erasure of all the physical components of a target, such as the matter and particles that make up their body.

Spiritual Erasure: Complete erasure of all non-physical aspects of a target, such as the soul or mind.

Conceptual Erasure: Complete erasure of the fundamental information that allows a target to exist, such as the concept of their existence, their place in the timeline, or their place in the narrative.

Obviously these are very non-specific and the exact definitions should be discussed further, but it should serve as a decent baseline for now.

Just to clarify, this is not a suggestion to make EE types a requirement on all profiles like, say, immortality types. It'd simply be optional for anyone making or editing a page, similarly to intangibility.

Finally, for all EE users whose method of erasure is unknown, they would default to Physical Erasure as per the EE page's description of "this ability's destructive power is not absolute, and one should not assume that it can erase the soul by default".
Absolutely agree, i don't see the reason on why we shouldn't have of different types of Existence Erasure on the page given how vast and diverse the ability's effects are within different fictions.

The only thing i would change is the "Spiritual Erasure" into "Non-Physical Erasure" since that would also denote Mental erasure as well since the current one implies that it only deals with the erasing of Souls despite the fact the OP does state within "Spiritual Eraser" that it does include Mental Erasure.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention this in the OP but I do think this would tie nicely together with the godly tiers of regeneration and make it more explicit as to whether or not a character with said levels of regeneration can recover from a given EE technique.

Recovering from physical erasure is low-godly, recovering from non-physical erasure is mid-godly, and recovering from conceptual erasure is high-godly.

The second one seems like it was suggesting something different from what I am, so it isn't really applicable here imo.

The first one is more or less the same thing but reading through it, it seems like people thought it'd be a requirement and stated their disagreement based on the sheer amount work involved. I want to make it clear that, while using these types would be encouraged, they are not strictly necessary. Also, that thread never really properly concluded or even got staff input, so maybe this thread will fare better :v

I also tried it before and it got rejected but i don't remember the arguments besides "lazy" and "too much work" since you would need o add the types on each page like conceptual manipulation

Right. That's the difference here; I want to make it clear that this would moreso be an addition to the ability description page, and any edits made to profiles based on that would be optional.

It's why I brought up intangibility in the OP; it does technically have a type system like concept manip or immortality, but very few intangibility users actually have the specific type they use listed.

While I personally don't mind adding types for it, I don't think these three can cover everything EE does ATM. Maybe if more types are added, I would probably agree.

Although, quite a lot of EE feats fall under more than one, which is why I personally find it redundant. Just add EE and explain what it does and that should cover it.

What other types would you suggest? I feel like more or less every state of being is covered by the descriptors of physical, non-physical, and conceptual.

I don't think examples of EE that fit into multiple categories would be an issue, just list the multiple types the example falls under. And even then, it's not like this is a requirement or anything.

With concepts being fundamental to all levels of existence (depending on who you read), there should probably be a fourth type that covers your first two, but across x amount of dimensions/realities, etc.

I feel like that's just range though? If I erase someone's physical body an infinite multiverse away, that isn't a new kind of erasure, it's just physical erasure with multiversal range, unless I'm misinterpreting your comment.

Again, too redundant.
1. Existence Erasure, by it definition is esare something that exist. Body, Soul is something considered as exist. Mind on the other hand is vague and depend on situation, but most of the time mind is something abstract; now concept itself is also something very abstract and you can considering it non-existent in a way.
2. The way you listed Conceptual Erasure is wrong on many level, while Concept fundamental, it is not information and also not history, and not even narrative or plot, if you want to list it, name it as Fundamental Erasure.
3. All of Erasure type you list is just a mix of EE and other ability. Non physical Erasure is just Soul Manip and Mind Manip but destruction only, Conceptual Erasure is just EE with Conceptual Manip but destruction only, Information Manip but destruction only, Plot Manip but destruction only.
4. Not only that but also worse, Conceptual Manipulation have type, mean you also need to list the type of concept you can erase. And also, conceptual manipulation page already have
Concept Destruction: The ability to destroy or remove a concept. By using the ability concepts are removed from reality. This can be wide-spread or very targeted, either erasing the concept of an overarching fundamental principle, such as space, or an individual

So conclusion, you can just divide the ability into many type you want, but the most important thing is: Write the GOD DAMN explaination on the profile and why they should have that hax. End of story

1. Something being abstract and non-existent are two entirely different things that have zero correlation to one another. What the hell are you talking about?

2. I'm fine with reworking the name to better fit the range of abstracts that qualify. Fundamental Erasure works fine for me, though Abstract Erasure could work too.

3. No, not really. Erasing someone physically doesn't inherently give someone matter manip, erasing someone non-physically doesn't inherently give soul manip or NPI, and erasing something conceptually doesn't inherently give concept manip.

4. Conceptual erasure isn't limited to concepts. Did you even read the OP?

And yes, writing the explanation is obviously important, but you're missing the original point of the thread, which was to add this to the existence erasure page, not any individual EE user's page. The latter would be optional and be a small bit of information that supporters of a verse could easily add to relevant profiles.

3. All of Erasure type you list is just a mix of EE and other ability. Non physical Erasure is just Soul Manip and Mind Manip but destruction only, Conceptual Erasure is just EE with Conceptual Manip but destruction only, Information Manip but destruction only, Plot Manip but destruction only.
Deconstruction is just Matter Manip but not as versatile. Madness Manip Type 1 and 2 is just bio manip and mind manip. Power Absorption is just Absorption. Petrification is just Transmutation and Matter Manip. Maybe you should go argue the same about those.
Write the GOD DAMN explaination on the profile and why they should have that hax. End of story
No need to wrap your head over this. This is only an optional and gradual change.

Last edited:
Personally unsure about this.

While I can see why it would be nice to break it down into types, I feel there is no real need for it. Existence erasure is supposed to cover erasing something from existence. What exactly is getting erased can differ but generally put, as the power currently stands, I don't see or know of any problems that adding types solves. All the types really do is cut down on what you might have to add to profile pages but otherwise, it just feels like an unneeded cosmetic change.

Well, differentiating the types of erasure can help people determine whether a certain level of godly regen is enough to recover from a given instance of erasure. And while I do agree that this isn't really 'necessary', it is additional information that helps explain the power in greater detail to those not really familiar with the wiki and how certain abilities work.

I see it as a similar case to intangibility, where the types aren't really needed since the core idea of the ability remains the same regardless, but it's still good to have.

I agree with this proposal. I think this would be useful for both indexing and vs debates since it marks the limit of a character's EE, negates the chances of NLF-esque shenanigans (I.E. A character that has only shown the ability to erase someone's body shouldn't be assumed to be capable of erasing someone's mind and/or soul unless shown otherwise). Also from my understanding the "too much work" argument seems a bit BS, is adding like five letters and one number to one ability description really that hard?

My only complaint (it is minor and it will most likely change) is that I think a better name for type 3 would be something like "Type 3: Fundamental", as in that level of EE attacks the most fundamental aspects of a thing (I.E. Concept, information, place in the history/reality/narrative, etc), aspects more fundamental than the mind or soul.

Edit: I could have worded my comment better, but I hope you get the gist.

I agree with this proposal. I think this would be useful for both indexing and vs debates since it marks the limit of a character's EE, negates the chances of NLF-esque shenanigans (I.E. A character that has only shown the ability to erase someone's body shouldn't be assumed to be capable of erasing someone's mind and/or soul unless shown otherwise). Also from my understanding the "too much work" argument seems a bit BS, is adding like five letters and one number to one ability description really that hard?

My only complaint (it is minor and it will most likely change) is that I think a better name for type 3 would be something like "Type 3: Fundamental", as in that level of EE attacks the most fundamental aspects of a thing (I.E. Concept, information, place in the history/reality/narrative, etc), aspects more fundamental than the mind or soul.

Edit: I could have worded my comment better, but I hope you get the gist.
The 'too much work' argument doesn't really apply here anyways since adding the new stuff to profiles would be optional. It's mainly an addition to the EE page itself. I also agree that Fundamental erasure works better than Conceptual.

I’m against it
Seems redundant to me
In what way?

Pretty sure someone brought that up before, and of the two threads they sent, one of them wasn't even on the same topic, and the other had people thinking the profile changes would be mandatory, while in this case I wanna make it clear that they're optional.

Actually this fine.

But many times of proposal and the result is rejected and although actually it should also be given some type basically

The point why it is redundant is, it is pointless to separate into type if the profile have no description, explaination and evidences on why it have EE, how the EE work and its potency, power

That's why it's optional. I really don't know how to explain to people that the changes being suggested here are for the EE ability page. Any changes made to profiles would be very minor and not required; just a little extra bit of information the verse supporters can add if they wish.

Not all EE is created equal, and we should update the page to explain that fact more in-depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back