• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

An expansion of our censorship filter

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Hello.

This is a public information message to inform our community about that I greatly expanded our forum's censor filter against illegal download, streaming, and comics hosting sites a few days ago, after receiving a long list from a member of Fandom's SOAP cleanup unit that I know.

This was done for two main reasons. Firstly, we need to protect ourselves from legal problems, especially given the European Union's new copyright directive, and secondly we need to be accepted by the Google AdSense partnership program to be able to finance the running of this forum via advertisements that are safe for our members and visitors.

In practice this means that if somebody writes a censored word/link, the letters will be replaced by asterixes (*) and the link will not work.

However, I have still not been informed about remotely all sites that need to be blocked, so if you know of any that still work to link to here, please send me a PM, so I can add them to our filter.

If you need to display evidence for your intended revisions, please upload the relevant images to Imgur, or some other legal site, and link to that instead.

My apologies for the inconvenience and thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
Do you think they might ban imgur at some point? Recently there's been a surge of entire chapters of comics or Mangas being posted to imgur with people thinking it can circumvent pirating laws. I don't mean people posting them on the wiki but just imgur in general.

I do not think so, and I certainly hope not. The site itself is legal after all.

What worries me considerably more is that Imgur might one day have to apply artificial intelligence that searches for all manga and comic book scans to remove them. That would really screw things up for us.

As always, it is definitely best to always combine image scan links with source references, to give us a much greater amount of safety and reliability.

I do not think so, and I certainly hope not. The site itself is legal after all.

What worries me considerably more is that Imgur might one day have to apply artificial intelligence that searches for all manga and comic book scans to remove them. That would really screw things up for us.
True this will probably be the most likely scenario but we are probably far from that point

True this will probably be the most likely scenario but we are probably far from that point
One update can change that so we're pretty close to it. They could start taking down more legally dubious or graphic content any time.

Good example of all this is pastebin, you used to be able to post anything textwise there until recently. Had a lot of stuff for profiles I worked on on there because of premise. Thought anything there would never get removed never get removed. Now I have to reup everything to other sites because of their new autofilters going crazy. Keep offline back ups of scans and webpages, because hosting sites can change stances just like that lol.

Curious as to how the censored slurs look in practice. Does it just turn them into asterisks or do asterisks block out certain letters?

Back