• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A rule about waiting for the season to finish before making profiles and/or revisions.

Colonel_Krukov

🖖 Live long and prosper
He/Him
VS Battles
FC/OC VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Image Helper
What the title suggests, we should make a rule or recommendation for people to wait for a episodic television/web season to finish before making profiles/revision threads.

I have know of a couple recent examples where they have been rushed out as soon as specific episodes have been released and this creates the need for a CRT which can could be avoided if people were patient. I get that having fancy new characters and/or characters with new abilities is exciting, but we strive to be accurate as possible when making things, and it also saves staff time which can be allocated elsewhere. Not as important but, making vs matches using these characters is almost redundant as the upgrades will likely invalidate the match.

This obviously doesn't apply to things like movies or game DLC's which have larger release gaps. If there's any other content that would fall into this, please note it below.

Last edited:
I actually Disagree.

The Difference between Searlized and Episodic has absolutely no effect on us for the wiki, you're going to get the same result depending on who ever makes the CRT or profiles, some episodic shows have been ongoing for nearly 2 or 3 decades with no sign of stopping so asking people to wait literally years upon years to make profiles seems a bit Unintuitive.

I don't have an issue with placing a rule for Seasonal series requiring at least a completed season before creating profiles but having to wait for an entire series? (unless said series is a Mini-series) then I disagree.

some episodic shows have been ongoing for nearly 2 or 3 decades with no sign of stopping so asking people to wait literally years upon years to make profiles seems a bit Unintuitive.

I think there can be a bit of nuance here. I doubt the OP is asking people to wait years, or even 1 year, before changes to profiles casn be made.

What about the addition of small abilities?

For a weekly manga, if someone says "I have the ability to regenerate my limbs", are we gonna wait a week until the blatant ability is shown until we add it?

What about the addition of small abilities?

For a weekly manga, if someone says "I have the ability to regenerate my limbs", are we gonna wait a week until the blatant ability is shown until we add it?
Weekly manga doesn't have "seasons" so it wouldn't apply.

We regulate ourselves sometimes for specific battles / specific arcs to be over, like the current one in One Piece. But I don't think that would fall under the proposed rule.

I'm not against the idea. Many things can happen after a single episode and it would cut down the number of threads (hopefully). Simple abilities should be ok though, that would be to restrictive. However large stat revisions or complex powers should wait if they aren't given full context yet (though this should be common sense)

I'd be fine with a rule like this if it's specific to things like a series' season, or waiting for a limited comic run (if it's weekly), etc. But obviously not for something like the One Piece anime, or manga in general, or Action Comics, etc. It'd be too unrealistic.

I'd be fine with a rule like this if it's specific to things like a series' season, or waiting for a limited comic run (if it's weekly), etc. But obviously not for something like the One Piece anime, or manga in general, or Action Comics, etc. It'd be too unrealistic.
This seems like a balanced view to me.

Categorically disagree with it being a rule. Just as well as something could change in a season's time, so too could nothing at all. Furthermore a series' season could very well go on for a long ass time before concluding and at that point it's unfeasible to ask people to wait. Just as one could exert more patience, so too does one's inspiration have a set limit.

Also from my experience users have a tendency to self-regulate on when exactly to make a profile. Like, no one to my knowledge is making profiles on insert character that appeared one episode ago. I suspect the characters in question, whoever they are, are an exception rather than a rule. I may be wrong on this, but this is the most common perception I've come across.

I'd be fine with a recommendation though.

To be frank this also prevents statements from being abused, esp. with all the planet/world/dimension destruction shenanigans.

Regeneration is just an example.

Categorically disagree with it being a rule. Just as well as something could change in a season's time, so too could nothing at all. Furthermore a series' season could very well go on for a long ass time before concluding and at that point it's unfeasible to ask people to wait. Just as one could exert more patience, so too does one's inspiration have a set limit.

Also from my experience users have a tendency to self-regulate on when exactly to make a profile. Like, no one to my knowledge is making profiles on insert character that appeared one episode ago. I suspect the characters in question, whoever they are, are an exception rather than a rule. I may be wrong on this, but this is the most common perception I've come across.

I'd be fine with a recommendation though.
Crabwhale also made some good points.

I like to take it on a case-by-case approach. For example, some seasons of seasonal anime can be long. 25 episodes would span half a year and waiting for so long seems counterproductive to me. If the season is like 10-12 episodes long then that's fine. It also depends on the show itself. If there is good chunk of info and stuff to be revealed later, like some sort of mystery, then waiting makes more sense. If it's like an open book like a character getting regeneration or something, then I don't see a problem if CRT is created right away.

Yeah, this being a guideline rather than a official rule works.

I agree with AKM that this should also work on a case-by-case approach as well.

How would the guide line look?

Something like 'it is advisable to avoid creating a content revision thread before the conclusion of a weekly story arc.'?

Story arc specifically is typically much more narrow than something like a saga or season. For example, the events of the Doctor Gero & Android 19 fight would be a story arc, but the entire shenanigans with the Androids is a whole saga. It also applies to pretty much any media that would fall under this rule, and could even cover a fight scene/battle, or something as broad as an entire season.

Last edited:
I like to take it on a case-by-case approach. For example, some seasons of seasonal anime can be long. 25 episodes would span half a year and waiting for so long seems counterproductive to me. If the season is like 10-12 episodes long then that's fine. It also depends on the show itself. If there is good chunk of info and stuff to be revealed later, like some sort of mystery, then waiting makes more sense. If it's like an open book like a character getting regeneration or something, then I don't see a problem if CRT is created right away.
I also agree with this.

How would the guide line look?

Something like 'it is advisable to avoid creating a content revision thread before the conclusion of a weekly story arc.'?

Story arc specifically is typically much more narrow than something like a saga or season. For example, the events of the Doctor Gero & Android 19 fight would be a story arc, but the entire shenanigans with the Androids is a whole saga. It also applies to pretty much any media that would fall under this rule, and could even cover a fight scene/battle, or something as broad as an entire season.
We need to figure out how the new rule text should be worded, yes.

To be frank here, some series would take their seasons would take many years to finish, especially when episodes go on hiatus for the time being mid-season. So, I'm gonna have to partially disagree here as we can just apply the new things overtime as new episodes come.

Okay. We apparently need to either do nothing here or try to find some sort of balanced compromise solution then.

Do any of you have suggestions?

We'd probably want to start by narrowing down what forms of media this really poses a problem for, because it's not there for all of them. My suggestion would probably be to mention that it's not great to try and revise things off unresolved plot points before the end of however its release schedule is grouped, since that still allows for obvious stuff that isn't any more likely to be retconned than anything else to be added while putting a mortarium on what seems to be the real issue here.

TV shows that have a dozen or so episodes and limited comic book arcs have been suggested so far. I also suggested waiting a week for a movies worldwide release to give people a chance to watch the it without worrying about spoilers.

I think we agreed that adding hax that was pretty obvious should be fine, but anything like major scaling should wait. Finally, we think that this should be more of a recommendation rather than an official rule.

Back